sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Seems odd to delay My Spy as it’s already been released early in some OS countries. STX also has UK distribution but I imagine they’ll keep its current date there. 

You think it’s weird now, wait til it’s delayed to July 😛 

6 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

You think it’s weird now, wait til it’s delayed to July 😛 

By the time it actually releases, the child actress is going to be able to go out for drinks with Bautista on the press tour

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Ten years ago Alice In Wonderland opened and unexpectedly opened to 116m and made 334m domestic and 1 billion worldwide. A big shock 

It made the WW top 5. I mean, what the fuck. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Seems odd to delay My Spy as it’s already been released early in some OS countries. STX also has UK distribution but I imagine they’ll keep its current date there. 

If they are moving I Spy because of the Virus, they are not moving it enough.

Onward might not be a good film to judge the impact of the Virus on box office;there were lots of signs before the virus this film was not getting the buzz and interest a Pixar film usually gets.

The next couple of weekned will tells us more. If the trend is really strong downward, then yes,the Virus is really having an impact.

What were the expectations for Alice in Wonderland before it opened? I was 11 years old when it released, and honestly it was the quietest "giant release" ever. I only ever saw like one add on Disney Channel, and the only time I heard someone talk about it was my grandma who told me that her friend said to her that "it wasn't good". 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

What were the expectations for Alice in Wonderland before it opened? I was 11 years old when it released, and honestly it was the quietest "giant release" ever. I only ever saw like one add on Disney Channel, and the only time I heard someone talk about it was my grandma who told me that her friend said to her that "it wasn't good". 

Obviously we dont have Mojo or even Filmgasm to look back on but it definitely was bigger than expected. Box office Guru states that 70m was the expectation and that sounds about right from my memory, 100m wasnt on anyone's radar.... 

6th biggest OW of all time at that point but mediocre (for the time) legs

Edited by narniadis
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Obviously we dont have Mojo or even Filmgasm to look back on but it definitely was bigger than expected. Box office Guru states that 70m was the expectation and that sounds about right from my memory, 100m wasnt on anyone's radar.... 

6th biggest OW of all time at that point but horrible legs

BOP’s initial long range tracking was 73/215: http://cms.pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2010-01-weekly-anticipation-index-2

Weekend forecast of 82M: http://cms.pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2010-03-updated-weekend-actuals

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, narniadis said:

1 minute ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Ok, so basically expected to be another Oz, but ended up being another Jungle Book (yes, I know neither of those movies existed at the time). I guess it wasn't expected to bomb or anything, and Depp was at the top of his game in 2010. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Thanks, forget that boxofficepro was an option 🤦‍♂️ I didnt use them back then. 

12 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Maybe things were a bit different back then, but a 2.88x multiplier seems quite solid to me.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Wrong. Opening weekend has nothing to do having seen the movie, but all to do with marketing. if something doesn't look appealing, people won't see it. I don't have to see the movie to say that previews look rancid. I agree that corona is affecting everything but I also think that Onward wouldn't do much better without it and would be among the lowest grossing Pixar movies because it just didnn't look like a must-see. And given that it received the lowest score for a Pixar movie, legs wouldn't be great. It's a Pixar filler.

i dont disagree with that

8 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Maybe things were a bit different back then, but a 2.88x multiplier seems quite solid to me.

I’m also confused about that. Legs are broadly similar to Oz, Cinderella, BatB, and TLK

17 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I’m also confused about that. Legs are broadly similar to Oz, Cinderella, BatB, and TLK

Would have to had to followed it in the day, but missing a 3x was a disappointment for trackers, not withstanding it got a 2.88x with the bad word of mouth that contributed (among other things) to its sequels horrible performance. 

OZ was also a legs meh performer 3 years later whereas 7 years later we consider the 2.88 to be ok, but I mean remember Lion King and the handwringing by some over its "lack of" legs

Best that I can recall there was genuine talk of looking at 400m which was unheard of for the time of year (Passion being the closest). Some of the other old timers could give more intake I am sure (if they care to lol)

Also realize I should have said mediocre, horrible is too negative of a description 

Edited by narniadis
  • Thanks 2