sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

12 minutes ago, narniadis said:

OZ was also a legs meh performer 3 years later whereas 7 years later we consider the 2.88 to be ok, but I mean remember Lion King and the handwringing by some over its "lack of" legs

Probably shouldn’t have brought TLK in given summer vs not-summer. 

Basically it sounds like I underestimated overall legs difference in the market 2020 vs 2010, I wonder what the exact stats on that are.

14 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

That My Spy trailer has been playing in front of a bunch of family movies since like early-ish last year. Just sell it to Netflix and be done with it.

The Wedding at the end of Shrek is going to guarantee a 20M OW :ph34r: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Probably shouldn’t have brought TLK in given summer vs not-summer. 

Basically it sounds like I underestimated overall legs difference in the market 2020 vs 2010, I wonder what the exact stats on that are.

They werent as good as a decade before that 😂

I mean, frontloading was already part of the discussion even as far back as 2005 but things behaved differently on many levels. 

Winter 2010 gave us leftovers from 2009s holiday that were all good leggy films in particular of course Avatar, but also considering we had How to Train Your Dragon and then Clash of the Titans eating into the 3D component, behavior was just different. 

Guru comments on how Alices opening was the worst hold for Avatar to date due to 3D screen loss.... now we don't even consider it a component of the gross. 

Oh man, that Alice in Wonderland opening weekend 10 years ago was nuts. My jaw was on the floor when I first saw the possibility of a $40 million Friday being bandied about. Even at the time, we all knew it was definitely reaping the benefits of being the first big 3D/IMAX release after Avatar, but it blew the lid off even the highest of expectations.

Its legs weren't really seen as bad at the time - not great, mind you, but not bad either. 3D was at its hottest and even with more and more cinemas adding additional digital projectors after Avatar, there were still relatively few 3D screens available; as such, it was generally understood that the arrivals of How to Train Your Dragon in Week 4 and Clash of the Titans in Week 5 (even with that awful awful awful conversion, eek) were always going to put a dent in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

If only it held as well as Midsommar eh? 🌚

Well, Midsommar cost 9M and since 7M TIM needs 100M WW to break even, according to our experts, Midsommar is confirmed megaflop cause it topped out at poor 43.8M WW. TIM is already well past that amount WW, has smashed it dom today, and will hit 100M soon and thus break even. 

Also, Midsommar opened on Wednesday and such movies always have a muted drop next week though this one's 44% is pretty steep for such advantage and TIM's 49 or 48% drop is gonna be very close to that without the benefit of Wednesday but with corona scare. So what was your point again? 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Well, Midsommar cost 9M and since 7M TIM needs 100M WW to break even, according to our experts, Midsommar is confirmed megaflop cause it topped out at poor 43.8M WW. TIM is already well past that amount WW, has smashed it dom today, and will hit 100M soon and thus break even. 

Also, Midsommar opened on Wednesday and such movies always have a muted drop next week though this one's 44% is pretty steep for such advantage and TIM's 49 or 48% drop is gonna be very close to that without the benefit of Wednesday but with corona scare. So what was your point again? 

Corona is exploding this weekend in America, the fact that TIM is dropping under 50% says it all. In a normal scenario, it would have a similar drop to Split/AQP. 

Not just America, Covid-19 is exploding everywhere this weekend. Everyone is living in fear and it is more present than ever on the media with the number of new cases multiplying fast in America, Asia and Europe.

Edited by CJohn

2 hours ago, narniadis said:

Would have to had to followed it in the day, but missing a 3x was a disappointment for trackers, not withstanding it got a 2.88x with the bad word of mouth that contributed (among other things) to its sequels horrible performance. 

OZ was also a legs meh performer 3 years later whereas 7 years later we consider the 2.88 to be ok, but I mean remember Lion King and the handwringing by some over its "lack of" legs

Best that I can recall there was genuine talk of looking at 400m which was unheard of for the time of year (Passion being the closest). Some of the other old timers could give more intake I am sure (if they care to lol)

Also realize I should have said mediocre, horrible is too negative of a description 

Oz barely broke even. Disney got  almost no return for a huge investment. I don't know where people got the idea that Oz was a sucess, it was not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Oz barely broke even. Disney got  almost no return for a huge investment. I don't know where people got the idea that Oz was a sucess, it was not.

No one said it was hence no sequel unlike Alice

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i remember seeing oz, i quite enjoyed it if i am being honest

Nothing wrong about liking a movie that is box office bust as long as you admit is was a box office bust.

A film's box office and whether it is a good movie or not are two different issues. Some films that are now considered classics did not do well at the box office when first released, and some films that were huge hits are pretty much forgotten.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Nothing wrong about liking a movie that is box office bust as long as you admit is was a box office bust.

A film's box office and whether it is a good movie or not are two different issues. Some films that are now considered classics did not do well at the box office when first released, and some films that were huge hits are pretty much forgotten.

oh you are mistaken, i am just talking about the quality of the movie for me, box office wise, it did bad especially with the budget no question

Well my theater was packed today. So were all the restaurants and shopping around it. I went to Chipotle for lunch and it was so busy the line was to the door. Even though we now have Corona confirmed in our state. But we are Kentucky and science is not our strong point. 

• Astonished 1

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

From october 2017 to october 2018: 2,980M from 9,987M revenues.

From october 2018 to october 2019: 2,686M from 11,127M revenues.

Well since October 2017, they have made $5.7 Bn from studio revenue.

I have the total income at $4.1Bn, which will be excluding about $700mn from Coco, TLJ and Thor but including $550mn from Maleficent 2, Frozen & TRoS. So roughly $4.25Bn.

Now I will be honest I look into the statements very briefly at just revenue breakup where TV revenue I think was excessive due to inclusion revenue from past film in range of about a billion & there was $500mn of merchandise which I didn't account. So it's roughly about $5.75Bn. 

Now it will be wrong on my side if I said see this matched because there was Fox films revenue also there and I don't know how they have accounted those.

Also the studio cost includes expenditure incurred on future films as well and so was case in previous year.  Its periodical financial statement of studio, not cost sheet of a film which will be better thing to look.