sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

29 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Well since October 2017, they have made $5.7 Bn from studio revenue.

Not revenue (that would be 20 billion), in profit and not since between those 2 date, you are removing everything from 1 October 2019 to today (that removing 100% of any cent Disney+ ever did that go into the film division,  Frozen 2, Star Wars 9, etc...) and you were talking about since January 2017.

33 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Now it will be wrong on my side if I said see this matched because there was Fox films revenue also there and I don't know how they have accounted those.

Fox is so late here that I doubt it is in those (no movement seen yet).

34 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Also the studio cost includes expenditure incurred on future films as well and so was case in previous year.  Its periodical financial statement of studio, not cost sheet of a film which will be better thing to look. 

Exactly, but current film expenditure will be on the previous as well, if slate are someone constant and that from 12 month to 12 month it is looking similar it probably balance a lot of themselve out.

38 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

not cost sheet of a film which will be better thing to look. 

Much better yes and the only one we ever got the chance to ever look because of the Sony leak do not match your figure, a movie like Marry Poppins for example would have made good money according to them. The studio didn't loose 130m on Stealth (135m budget with participation bonus making 32m domestic at the BO), how does a studio loose 130M on Wrinkle in Time ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

talking about since January 2017.

Naa January 2018. See the films I took.

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Fox is so late here that I doubt it is in those (no movement seen yet)

There were many Fox produced films they release since March 2019

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

how does a studio loose 130M on Wrinkle in Time ?

Took Deadline numbers for that.

Maybe $ 43-44M OW with $ 17.5-18M saturday. I’m convinced it will be $ 50-55M in a normal situation, but anyway

Strange to see an A- cinemascore, but i think it’s not much about the movie quality.

I’ve seen it today, is a pretty good movie, obviously not a Pixar classic, but Way better than their 2011-2015 phase. The thing is, the movie is pretty sad despite the adventures and gags, and i know Pixar always make sad sequences, but this time it has a “sad vibe” all over it. I get the feeling the grown people on my theater enjoy it a lot, but the kids not very much except for some funny parts.

PostTrack pools also indicate adults gave it 4.5/5 but kids gave it only 4/5, maybe that explain the A-.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

There were many Fox produced films they release since March 2019

How many made a significant profit ? (they could be negative in the hole and make that profit line look smaller than reality)

21 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Took Deadline numbers for that.

I feel like they tend to exaggerate some movie profit by downplaying participation, they are being a bit over the top sensational, $125M WW P&A for a movie that got it's release cancelled / quite limited in many market, 43% of the movie revenue from the box office (for that genre, for that level of domestic heavy, for that box office range, their annual estimate they do also do not match studio bottom line at all.

• Like 1

It's weird that Pixar doesn't do as well with two films a year whereas DWA, Illumination and even SPA have had success with multiple films in a year. Even WDAS did well with Zootopia and Moana in 2016. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's weird that Pixar doesn't do as well with two films a year whereas DWA, Illumination and even SPA have had success with multiple films in a year. Even WDAS did well with Zootopia and Moana in 2016. 

DreamWorks eventually had to scale back though cause of how many underperformers they had. 

The only valid comparison is WDAS. I will never compare Illumination with even Dreamworks. 

Illumination is transformer of animation. 

SLOP 2 underperformed and so will Minions 2.

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think it's only because two of the films in the years that Pixar put out two films (The Good Dinosaur in 2015 and Onward this year) had marketing made them seem way more generic, off-brand and Dreamworks-y than their usual fare. Their reviews confirmed they were either middle of the pack (Onward) or rock bottom (TGD).

Zootopia faced the same danger when the character designs were revealed, but then blew everyone away when the trailers revealed the world-building, story and strong writing.

*Forgot that Cars 3 came out in the same year as Coco. Most of what I said for Onward and TGD holds true for Cars 3 too, plus the Cars franchise was viewed as "Pixar for stoOpids".

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Onward D2

MTC1 - overall 4903 shows 220800/908836 2815544.28 2390765.68 post 6PM 2210 shows 88991/419645 1289257.89 1046248.06

MTC2 - overall 4493 shows 239050/704837 2464095.72 1986922.82 post 6PM 1664 shows 75808/270265 908110.78 644223.96

Again huge over performance at MTC2 and meh at MTC1. Overall increase is like 70% and MTC tends to under index on saturday and so inline with what Charlie posted above. I am expecting good hold tomorrow and 40m is still in play, 

Does not change the theme that its a huge disappointment.  

• Like 7

Any Pixar original with 175 prod budget should be able to double Emoji dom (86) and ow (24.5) and thus matching it's legs (3.5x).

Edited by a2k

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

A $40m opening is in line with tracking though...

A movie could open over the top of the tracking range and be a disappointment. Depends on the tracking.   

• Like 2