sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Onward global OW is just 7 mil higher than Dolittle's and Dolittle had a staggered released.

yep it seems that the movie didnt appeal in general,  on the positive side invisible man, sonic and bad boys had very good os drops

Edited by john2000

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I doubt it. There's no buzz even with it being suddenly added back to the schedule and the whole controversy feels like it happened forever ago. They might as well had just sold it off to streaming tbh.

It has a tiny budget, so it’s probably worth releasing in cinemas, therefore increasing its worldwide profile before streaming. It’s P&A spend will be smaller than usual too. 

1 hour ago, TMP said:

How many of these super dudes are draws, really? Maybe Bale and Evans? And that's just based on their last two films being hits

edit: Bradley Cooper too, forgot he played the Raccoon 

Vin Diesel....

Onward just did not look very appealing to the masses - and to many it did not strike them as something from Pixar. While I won't place too much blame on Corona, many parents are going to avoid taking their kids to cinemas.

Little appeal + Corona hysteria is going to prevent this from doing much over $250m WW.

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I see them do it with the twitter account they create for a specific movie but never seem them do that with the main studio account.

disney usually does that with their main studio too

Italy just reported 133 deaths in one day. 

I called out Storm and Arendelle for being so pessimistic about virus. 

But, they were right. 

I frankly don't see how theatres remain unaffected by virus. From next week things will be very clear. 

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I see them do it with the twitter account they create for a specific movie but never seem them do that with the main studio account.

I have seen almost every studio retweeting the positive tweet. 

That's also marketing. 

:ohmygod:Everyone is all paranoid that Onward didn’t do Zootopia numbers or even mid-range family films like Trolls.... and analysts blaming Corona Virus 🤦‍♀️ . Maybe I’d get that when A Quiet Place 2 or Mulan or even Black Widow underperforms.

But in all honesty original animation is tough to sell. Shrek back in 2001, was probably a tough sell. Dreamworks was a small studio then... live-action films for them were their best performers(Saving Private Ryan, What Lies Beneath, Gladiator, and somewhat even The Mexican) at that time, since their animation prior didn’t do well(Antz, and Road To El Dorado tanked) Prince Of Egypt was an ok performer. 

Invisible Man isn’t going to have Get Out legs. But it’s 2nd weekend hold was quite solid for a horror/thriller. $80 million domestic should be easy to make. A Quiet Place 2 could hurt it in a week or so, but not much damage. 

The Way Back had an ok start. The trailer and tv spots looked like a good movie. But with ticket price inflation being over $10, who wants to see a sports film in the theater? Where they can wait till June and buy it on dvd or blu-ray. The debut is an improvement from Affleck’s last film Live By Night. $25 million or so domestic wouldn’t be surprising.

Sonic had a bigger drop. However, still remains Paramount’s biggest hit in almost two years! It should become the highest grossing video game adaptation and Do $165-$170 million or so. 

Call Of The Wild still on the top five. Sadly still a flop but not as horrendous as some feared. Fox is hurting themselves since 2018. I could do a whole summary on that nonsense. 

Emma’s expansion is alright nothing special. 

Bad Boys For Life passed $200 million this weekend! By the end of this month or even the next few weeks, it should pass the adjusted total of Bad Boys II. 

Harley Quinn still underperforming. Don’t blame the damn corona virus on that, I blame Suicide Squad’s toxic word of mouth. I liked both Squad and Quinn personally but anyone remember Suicide Squad got shit on back when no one liked the new DC... but forgave it when Wonder Woman came out. Harley may find her audience on streaming and home video. 

My Hero Acdaemia collapsed massive! Thats normal for “Fan-Boy/Fan-Girl” event fare. 

1917 and Jumanji rocking it! $160 million approaching for 1917. Jumanji showing escapism is strong for a sequel to a juggernaut. 

overall this is sad to say this chart has been the most boring box office chart in years. Are we in the first quarter of 1995-1999 redux? Sheesh 

22 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Seems odd to delay My Spy as it’s already been released early in some OS countries. STX also has UK distribution but I imagine they’ll keep its current date there. 

It’s been doomed here in America since it was announced 

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Other than the disappointment of Onward and subsequent poor holds for family films its a solid weekend for holdovers. 

Next 2 weekends will be interesting for sure. 

and it was also a great weekend for holdovers in os markets