sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

48 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Great. Thanks as always for the sales info. 

I’m sure you went over this a few times when you were getting up and running, but what do the numbers with decimals mean again?

$ value for Adult or Child tickets. For family movies its somewhere in the middle closer to adult. For R rated child $ value is irrelevant if 100% of tickets are adult tickets(though there are other discounts for Senior/Military etc). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol did you just copy what @Arendelle Legion said on reddit and changed Coco 2 to Finding Nemo 3?

Incredibles 3 is inevitable considering the type of movie and BO of last one. Pixar could make Finding Marlin next time around though the post credit scene seem to take us to the characters in the fish tank which to me looks like a Disney+ show than 3rd movie. Inside Out sequel does not seem possible though Disney might exploit those characters in a Disney+ show. Toy Story 5 without Woody could happen but not for a while. 

Let us wait for Soul to release before condemning Pixar originals. Inside Out was huge and Coco did great in OS markets. Soul is directed by Pete Docter who has the magic touch. Pixar should stick to 1 movie a year preferably in summer. 

3 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Pixar Animation quality is much better than any other studio. 

Frozen 2 is the only movie that has reached pixar animation quality. 

The details in every shot of Pixar movie is insane. 

MOAMA wants to say Hi

32 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Let us wait for Soul to release before condemning Pixar originals. Inside Out was huge and Coco did great in OS markets. Soul is directed by Pete Docter who has the magic touch. Pixar should stick to 1 movie a year preferably in summer. 

Exactly, if Soul is a hit then all will be forgotten with Onward. I would say with Disney owning Blue Sky, the need for two Pixar films in one year every few years is a little unnecessary, The only time WDAS or Pixar should have more than one film in a year is when they skip a year

One underperformance and people are already trying to bury Pixar, how comical.

Did you guys forget that Coco did $800m few years ago? And IO did almost $900m 5 years ago?

To not mention the fact that Soul is probably going to crush everything this summer.

Onward is being affected by this Corona shit pretty much everywhere, it woudn't be a massive hit, but it certainly wouldn't opening on the same range on a different scenario. 

• Thanks 1

Onward never felt like a Pixar film to me. Felt like a WDA script that got shipped to Pixar.

The question becomes, if this were produced by WDA, would the box office result be different?

i don’t think so.

As for coronavirus impact, the threshold I’m looking at is $39m, which seas The Good Dinosaur’s first weekend. Granted, Good Dinosaur opened on a Wednesday, but I’ve always thought that Onward had enough going for it that it should clear Good Dinosaur no problem. If this can’t cross $40m, despite the might of Disney, very popular voice actors, and the lack of recent animated family entertainment, I’d say it’s clear that some people are already avoiding theaters.

45 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

People aren't seeing this film because they saw the real one at home

lmao this shit should be illegal :lol: but then again at least we've gotten gems like Ratatoing

PRECISELY

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

One underperformance and people are already trying to bury Pixar, how comical.

Did you guys forget that Coco did $800m few years ago? And IO did almost $900m 5 years ago?

To not mention the fact that Soul is probably going to crush everything this summer.

Onward is being affected by this Corona shit pretty much everywhere, it woudn't be a massive hit, but it certainly wouldn't opening on the same range on a different scenario. 

When disney crashed a movie, there is always a lot of excuses. 

The movie is not a good one, no even a hit. 

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Could honestly see a scenario where every non-MCU Disney film this year under-performs tbh. Sony #1 studio of 2020?

Disney is going for $1950-2050mn this year, which is mighty impressive considering this is their off year, with just 9 films, while only one studio has hit $2Bn, that too barely, since Universal in 2015 when they had JW, Minions and F7 and before that only WB in 2009 has done that.

Sony is currently at $475mn but don't have anything big following from here, and at max I see them doing $1.3Bn 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 2

22 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

So, Deadline going with $9.3M True Fri (and full $11.3M Fri) - with the leap day previews not counted until an overall weekend number...

PS - And all holds are in the 50%+ drop range for the top movies...so Corona effect, now?

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Haha 1