sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

50% would be a solid drop for Invisible Man. 

If everything has 50%+ drops then maybe we will see an effect... next weekend is looking pretty bleak in terms of new release so it won't be surprising if all of those do dismal #s.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I will be going with $9mn True Friday for Onward. Meh.

The Invisible Man at $4mn.

Bummer, but also not that surprising. Are other holdovers looking normal, or muted?

22 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Interesting that a comparison to HTTYD is being made here, but like...

Yikes. This is the third widest opening for Pixar movie yet it's going to wind up with the third/fourth lowest opening. $37-40M here results in a sub-$10k PTA, which is absolutely normal for Pixar movie when it's not in it's opening weekend. Even The Good Dinosaur managed a $10,444 PTA during its OW. Now, HOPEFULLY the film is able to leg it out and wind up with a somewhat decent domestic total, but I'm not holding my breath for this.

Quite unfortunate too, I really did like this one. And reviews (if you're not looking at Metacritic) were still quite good.

10 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Interesting. And of course Deadline will not write a scathing article like they did with Birds of Prey. *cough*

Think (or hope) it'll have a solid Saturday but under 40 isn't good. 

Deadline would have cut Birds some slack if it opened on this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

I would say that an opening under $40 million would be pretty weak for a Pixar movie, but I really do think that we have to consider how dramatically fears about the coronavirus have ramped up in the past week. I'm guessing there are more than a few parents out there who might otherwise have taken their kids to see Onward this weekend that opted to stay home instead. Regardless of how seriously you're taking reports about its spread in the U.S., I don't think there's any denying that it's already affecting how a significant number of people are thinking about the possibility of going out to crowded places right now, at least to some extent.

Edited by Webslinger

I wish there was a source for Pixar adjusted OW PTAs. Old Mojo was so nice.   

Btw I’m not going to start a club because it would be in incredibly poor taste, but the smallest overall weekend of the domestic box office in the 2000s is Sep 15, 2000: https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2000/09/15   

with 54.2M

It would have seemed like an unbeatable record given inflation, but now I’m wondering if it will be beat in the next 8 weeks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Pixar, Star Wars fatigue . Disney's reign is over

They’ve still got 4/6 infinity IPs in the form of WDAS, LA remake, Avatar, and Marvel Studios ;) 

Spoiler

Although LA remake I suspect is running dry, and WDAS may not be a heavy hitter with their mega-sequel out of the way

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

If Onward opens at $37m could it leg it out to $100m? 

Normal circumstances easily. Actuall circumstances no one can say, but I’m skeptical personally. Maybe 33->80 or something.

• Like 1