sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday #s - Onward 12.1, Invisible Man 4.3, Way Back 2.6 | Blame It On the Roni

Yes the virus is on people’s minds but is that gonna impact American movie theaters or how we go out all the time? No not necessarily, the virus will have an impact on our living patterns for a good few more months or year. This is a scary time.

However, I don’t think that will affect our moviegoing habits or other habits. Only just have to be more precautious of our hygiene and sanitation which is always been a thing for years and especially this time of the year.... we still in Flu season as well.

Anyway this is box office talk not health class. The box office will be fine it’s just on some films... who the hell wants to pay $10.50-$11.25 or more for almost two hours of being in a fancy chair at a theater, where it’s cheaper to wait for streaming or home video anymore that’s been a discussion since 2013 even! 

Also Onward’s marketing was bland, for a children’s film it gave too much away in the trailers and tv spots. And also it primarily focused on Chris Pratt & Tom Holland combo, which Mr. Holland is having the old Spider-Man actor curse, they can’t have a hit outside of Spidey. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Mr. Holland is having the old Spider-Man actor curse, they can’t have a hit outside of Spidey. 

Hacksaw Ridge was a hit for Spidey #2. 

The whole Coronavirus fear going around has likely kept some away but I don't think the numbers would've substantially improved for Onward under normal conditions. IMO its biggest drawback, as has been mentioned, is that it just didn't look like something from Pixar. It could've easily been mistaken for a DreamWorks or Blue Sky effort from the marketing. They've set the bar so high over the past few decades that their "not special" efforts stick out like sore thumbs. Soul looks much more promising, and the grosses will likely reflect that.

That said, why does Tom Holland have such bad luck outside of Spider-Man lol (although Pratt's non-MCU/non-Jurassic luck hasn't been much better, with his duo of 2016 tentpoles barely meeting or coming below their pre-release expectations and Lego Movie 2 fizzling).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

Your Sony hate is showing!

I don't hate Sony but I will be pleasantly surprised if they end up 70% of Disney. Also, technically there's Fox which is basically Disney entirely now and quite possibly Fox won't be that far from Sony by end of year.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

And The Social Network? Or was that Arnie Hammer? but yes Hacksaw I forgot haha, brought back Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn

Hammer and Garfield were both in TSN, but it was before he became Spidey so it doesn't count. Would be like counting Pleasentville for Tobey.

2 hours ago, stealthyfrog said:

Pixar should start being more efficient with their resources. Sony Animation can do great things with under $100M production budget. Illumination, well, they do enough to still make a shit ton of money I guess XD

I was mainly thinking about Sony Animation. The Illumination aside was meant to be a damning by faint praise.

My gut says this is on the A side of A- whereas Cars 2 was on the B+ side of A-.  

1 minute ago, a2k said:

With 9.5 true Fri / 11.5 od, 39-42 ow imo. Tough ask to hit 150 dom with that.

Zootopia has a massive 4.1x True IM, but imo this will be lucky to hit HTTYD3’s 3.6x.  

2+9.5*3.6->36. 100 could be tough with covid

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Stark divide between an A- Cinemascore and the 97% verified audience score on RT

I wonder if this has something to do with it... From the Deadline article:

So far, it’s a great response to the Dan Scanlon-directed animated feature, with general audiences giving Onward 4 1/2 stars, parents a fantastic 5 stars, and kids under 12 (largely boys at 61%), an OK 3 1/2 stars. Overall guys under 25 lead at 29% followed by guys over 25 at 28%, then females over 25 at 23% and females under 25 at 20%. Diversity demos showed 52% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic, 12% Asian, and 8% African American.

• Like 1