The Way Back (2020)  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

This was surprisingly really effective. It's a mix of an inspirational sports movie (in this case, basketball) with a redemption tale, but the basketball stuff is decidedly much less compelling. Don't get me wrong, the game sequences are really well done, but there are times when the shift between character drama and sports movie tropes creates an odd tonal balance and doesn't always lead to the smoothest transitions. No matter, we become so invested in Jack's story that it's easy to forgive. This is arguably the best performance of Ben Affleck's long, at times rocky career: he has talked about in interviews recently how making the movie was therapeutic after enduring his own problems with addiction, and it shows in this raw, haunted performance as a man whose life fell apart after suffering an unbearable loss. He would be earning Oscar buzz if it were released later in the year. It's a movie that mostly avoids easy uplifting moments and sports movie clichés to become something more meaningful, and Affleck's performance assures it will stay with you long after it's over. B+

• Like 1

I agree about the tone shifts......it was the one part of the movie that I didn't care for.  But as @filmlover says, this might be Ben's best performance.  He goes through a wide range of emotions here and he's kind of brilliant in every scene.  I know this is not the kind of film the academy will remember in 9 months, but his performance is good enough to be mentioned for 2020. 

It's a story about redemption, second and third chances and it lets us know that we never know what kind of influence we can have on an individual so try to live your best life as much as you can.

9/10

The script hits a lot of predictable beats, but O'Conner gives the film so much honesty and humanity that it overcomes that more often than it doesn't. Affleck's terrific in this, career-best work.

• Like 1

I agree with most of what is in the three reviews above, although nothing in the tonal shifts area bothered me. I thought that a little more time with the supporting cast might have been nice. the father who hired him, and perhaps his being absent is symbolic of how helpful he was when his student needed him. Also the student who noted while driving together that he gave a F you to his dad when not advancing, it would be nice to see how that person connects with his family for a moment, I did like the ending where he simply starts to enjoy playing again, as he can surely get a career and happiness jumpstarted from there, I did enjoy this film.  

Probably my favourite of 2020 so far, but I'd be surprised if it was still in my top 10 of the year by December.

It's a really gentle film for most of the runtime until it hits you hard with some really dark beats and themes. Those were the tonal shifts that I liked. It's told very elegantly and smoothly, and the moment you as an audience forget about the alcoholism and think you're in for a smooth ride with a basketball team, the movie hits you with another hard-hitting emotional beat. 

The basketball stuff could have been a lot more compelling, as a lot of people have said. But it's a personal story for Jack, not a team story. They did a few interesting things with some of the kids, but it's all done in a way that serves Jack's story, and honestly I'm okay with that. 

SPOILER --> I also loved how the end didn't try to wrap itself up in a nice little bow. Jack isn't "cured" by the end. He still has a long way to go. But the movie ends on a hopeful note (he finally picks up a ball and shoots some hoops for the first time in 20+ years). It's hopeful, but it leaves it open just enough to say 'this could all go to shit again' and lets the audience decide what happens based on their faith in Affleck's character. Really mature storytelling imo.