a2k

Weekday Numbers (3/9/2020 - 3/12/2020)

I think Box Office is going to start dropping by this weekend.

Things are happening very quickly in the sports world right now and I suspect it will start spilling over to Entertainment, 

NCAA announced this afternoon that there will be no fans at NCAA Tourney Games. Both the Big 10 and Big 12 have announced that starting tomorrow no fans will be allowed in to their Tournament games this week. Some NBA teams are starting to play games with no fans in attendance.

Ivy league has cancelled all spring sports.

You can feel the anxiety ramping up. 

Rank Film (Distributor) Weekend
Gross
Total
Gross
%
Change
Week
#
1 Onward
(Disney)
$22.0 M $72.0 M -44% 2
2 I Still Believe
(Lionsgate)
$14.0 M $14.0 M NEW 1
3 The Invisible Man
(Universal)
$9.3 M $67.9 M -39% 3
4 Bloodshot
(Sony / Columbia)
$8.5 M $8.5 M NEW 1
5 The Hunt
(Universal)
$8.3 M $8.3 M NEW 1
6 Sonic The Hedgehog
(Paramount)
$4.9 M $148.2 M -36% 5
7 The Way Back
(Warner Bros.)
$4.8 M $15.9 M -41% 2
8 The Call of the Wild
(Disney / 20th Century)
$3.8 M $63.6 M -44% 4
9 EMMA.
(Focus)
$3.0 M $11.7 M -38% 4
10 Bad Boys for Life
(Sony / Columbia)
$2.1 M $205.3 M -31% 9

4 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Tomorrow may be the most interesting Thursday drops in the history of cinema.

Definitely BO tanks. I am not sure its worth tracking the openers as well 😞 Too depressing situation here stateside with no ability to get tested for majority. I want real numbers to be prepared. 

9 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Seems like country woke up to covid finally. Tom Hanks+sports cancelled+Trump fiasco conference

Are you sure it will have such a huge effect on people who are not extremely online? Don't get me wrong, BO is going to crash over the next few weeks but maybe tomorrow won't be especially awful. We'll see.

We won't see any effect tomorrow (Thursday) cause that's a day where no one is really going to the movies anyway. The weekend will be more telling. FWIW I Still Believe sales are looking decent so we'll just have to wait and see (hard to say when there's nothing out making a massive amount of money to begin with).

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Are you sure it will have such a huge effect on people who are not extremely online? Don't get me wrong, BO is going to crash over the next few weeks but maybe tomorrow won't be especially awful. We'll see.

If I was sure, I wouldn’t be as interested in the dailies as I am 

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

But like "ever". That seems excessive. Let's see.

Well, I mean, what other Thursdays are even in contention? Usually dailies are pretty predictable, and Thurs the most out of any. July 4 effect is more interesting than normal Thursday, christmas effects, big Thurs opener, big Thursday previews, but none of those are as interesting imo as an exegenous shock of unknown size

9/12 came to mind as a winner if it has been Thurs, but it was Weds.

23 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Well, I mean, what other Thursdays are even in contention? Usually dailies are pretty predictable, and Thurs the most out of any. July 4 effect is more interesting than normal Thursday, christmas effects, big Thurs opener, big Thursday previews, but none of those are as interesting imo as an exegenous shock of unknown size

9/12 came to mind as a winner if it has been Thurs, but it was Weds.

9/12 was normal. It was 9/11 that was different.

7 hours ago, TMP said:

Fantastic legs for Onward in the face of the apocalypse, might be a legs beast considering there's a chance it's the only film playing in the (few open) cinemas for the next few months

Too little too late for that film though lol 

I went to see the special showing of Tokyo Godfathers last night. Considering how empty the parking lot was, I was shocked to see about 20 other people in the show with me. All the regular movies must have been completely deserted, and folks only showed up for Tokyo Godfathers because they knew it would be their only chance to see it in the theater.