Eric Duncan

Disney+ MCU: Loki | June 11 2021 | Richard E Grant's in this

Loki is an example of the Disney+ series format done right. The episodes need to stand on its own and you need to always be ahead of the audience. WandaVision (which I adored though) and FATWS felt like a predictable movie stretched out into 6-9 episodes, and it was the show playing catch up to what audiences already knew. 

Excited to see where Loki goes from here.

My only "want" I guess is to see more of what makes Loki, Loki. I feel like Loki as a character, as this trickster, has a lot of potential for fun and mischief but we're told that a lot, but very little do we see it in action. There are times where I just watch the scene and all I can see is Tom Hiddleston reading the lines like he would a lot of his movies, but I don't see Loki's personality.

Edited by Wormow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

I was about to turn the Disney+ app off when the credits rolled, and almost missed that bizarre after credits scene 🙂

FilmCriticHulkSmash Went on a long rant post episode about the “post end credits industrial complex” 😂

(A.k.a., he thought that seeing should’ve been the end of the episode, because you might have missed it if you didn’t watch the credits. And clearly there’s people on Twitter who did not watch the credits)

• Haha 1

I don't want to jinx it but this so far is return to form for D+ MCU after the lackluster F&TWS. Super entertaining, unpredictable and so well acted. Also that

TLJ reference

that social media went gaga for

they are tagging Rian Johnson

:hahaha:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cap said:

FilmCriticHulkSmash Went on a long rant post episode about the “post end credits industrial complex” 😂

(A.k.a., he thought that seeing should’ve been the end of the episode, because you might have missed it if you didn’t watch the credits. And clearly there’s people on Twitter who did not watch the credits)

Pirates of the Caribbean has a lot to answer for. :sadno:

• Like 1

This is something I've noticed about Marvel Studios from the Thor/Guardians films, and I always get pushback from the fanatics...

They DO CGI, yes they do...but they're VERY frugal with CGI BEINGS. They'd much rather go with the less expensive option, a human in a costume, or delete the character entirely.

Guardians portrays "alien" races, but 99% of them are human like...if you've seen the Nova Corps in the comics, one of them is a tall winged gargoyle dude. Nowhere to be found 🙂...a lot of Thor's foes, that would have required extensive CGI work are MIA...

The TVA protects the sacred timeline by procecuting variants across the universe. The only one that seem to violate the timelines are human like characters, that don't need CGI 😂...no insectoids, mutant beasts..I'll get the usual fanboy loyalist pushback, but it's pretty glaring.

Anyway, if the episode 4 post credits scene is teasing a

"Revenger" style team of alternate Loki's, to battle the TVA, these last two episodes could wind up being very cool 🙂.

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Pirates of the Caribbean has a lot to answer for. :sadno:

It's funny, my family and I still refer to end-credits scenes as "jumping monkeys" because of the stinger in The Curse of the Black Pearl (i.e. "Are there any jumping monkeys at the end?", "We have to stay for the jumping monkey.", "How many jumping monkeys are there?", etc.). That was really our introduction to them.

I am enjoying Loki so far, and I can't wait to see how it wraps up. ^_^

Edited by Sir Tiki
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Seems like quite a stretch to me (the massive quality difference didn't help either).

Yeah those two scenes aren't even close to similar. At best, they're both plays on the "duel in front of looming evil overlords" trope which is present in a lot of SFF media. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FilmFincher said:

Hide contents

What was the reference, I must have missed it? 

After the Nexus Event of Loki catching feelings for his Jungian anima, he and Sylvie are brought before the creepy animatronic Time-Keepers for sentencing. In a scene reminiscent of The Last Jedi’s throne-room slaughter, Hunter B-15 tosses a dagger to Sylvie, and the dyad of tricksters beheads one of the Time-Keepers before taking on a small battalion of Minutemen. Judge Renslayer and Sylvie have a great one-on-one duel, too, and then Loki steels himself to confess his love for Sylvie.

It doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not, people clearly love it cause people love to make comparison vids and gifs. :)

So I had to watch it twice to go back and catch all the Comic Book Easter Eggs.  Omgosh, the site gags in this episode are EVERYTHING.  This is the type of episode I wish had played in a movie theater or at SDCC.  I would've been so excited to lose my shit over X and have someone else doing the same.

Spoiler

I just want to live in this show.  I want to take Steve and Peggy and Sam and Bucky and plop the in the TVA and then watch for hours as they go on trouple double dates with Loki/Slyvie/Mobius or have to take care of their Kid and Pet Alligator.  This series will fuel my fan fiction for at least another 5 years.  It's just PRIMED for hijinx.

I hope that Old Loki is still alive.  He did say "he cast an illusion so great it fooled the Mad Titan", so I think that's an easy hand wave if they ever wanted Richard E Grant to come back.

If Kid Loki isn't in Young Avengers we RIOT.

THRRRROOOOOG

Loki/Mobius/Slyvie is such a good ship.  Their POWAH.

I feel like it's all leading to Kang, but who knows.  

The giant cloud Godzilla made me think of Galactus in that awful F4 movie.  So that made me think about like "please have Dr. Doom trapped in that castle."

• Like 5

This episode felt like just forget all about MCU and let this be its own thing, and then I got free. The show so far is just average, let's see if finale can lift it off.

MCU TV need to up their game. They aren't facing DCEU here but The Boys, Invincible, Umbrella Academy, all of which feels so superior over these. The standard of TV/Web series is much higher than movies in general but in case of MCU it is other way around with movies being much better than their 3 TV outings. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 4

56 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

This episode felt like just forget all about MCU and let this be its own thing, and then I got free. The show so far is just average, let's see if finale can lift it off.

MCU TV need to up their game. They aren't facing DCEU here but The Boys, Invincible, Umbrella Academy, all of which feels so superior over these. The standard of TV/Web series is much higher than movies in general but in case of MCU it is other way around with movies being much better than their 3 TV outings. 

I would have agreed if this was your critique of Wandavision and Falcon. 

But Loki absolutely is top tier. From Writing to direction to score. 

Also this was literally as MCU as you get?? 

This show is literally expanding MCU to new horizon. Isn't that was ultimate purpose of Phase 4? 

Loki episode 5 was great and up there with some high quality episodes of The Boys for sure. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Love loki but just have to disagree on it being top tier mcu . With exception of hiddleston and wilson chemistry , some fun cameos and neat visuals   the rest

Well...

Everything is tva is just rushed and confusing and it contradicts with endgame.

Slyvie and loki relationship is just so rushed 

Action is pityful and lazy.

The revelation of his sexuality is just done in a casual conversation when it could been slowly been put forth in the show with him realising  and discovering it over the  course of the show and him exploring it. Disney as usual being a tad bit heavy handed at times.

SCript is ok but can't compete with cap movies,ironman1, guardian of galaxy movies , infinity war, endgame which had tighter scripts.

I know none of these issues may  bother you but still they are issues within the script.

Loki has a nother season on the way so personally don't know why elements of world building are rushed when they could have been explored better and expanded on in the subsequent season.

Loki doesn't even come close to the boys , daredevil,jessica jones S1 which are better than most mcu movies or even possibly the entire mcu slate

Edited by Liiviig 1998