Eric Atreides

Disney+ MCU: Loki | June 11 2021 | Richard E Grant's in this

Just realized I never commented on this since early on. Finished it last weekend.

Overall I liked it. Not as much as WandaVision but better than Falcon & Winter Soldier. Tom Hiddelston was great, but Owen Wilson was definitely MVP. Wasn't familiar with Sophia Di Martino before so she was a very good discovery. Gugu Mbatha-Raw is always a welcome presence. Richard E. Grant's guest spot got me thinking that someone has to cast him and Hiddleston in another project as father and son soon. Excited to see Jonathan Majors playing a larger role in the universe soon.

Looking forward to seeing what Season 2 has in store.

• Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 9:52 AM, Krissykins said:

Director and Executive Producer Kate Herron has left, not returning for season 2. 

https://deadline.com/2021/07/loki-director-ep-kate-herron-says-shes-not-returning-for-season-2-1234794552/

the only recent marvel stuff that i loved this and captain marvel , ditch the creatives , not good

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

29 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

the only recent marvel stuff that i loved this and captain marvel , ditch the creatives , not good

Eh, it’s hard to tell for sure from the outside but I think Waldron was more of the driving creative force?

After getting over the hype of the ending, I think this is my least favorite of the 3 completed D+ shows and not particularly great overall, though it is entertaining scene-to-scene, the larger arc falls very flat. A lot of the secondary characters (Sylvie, Mobius, Kang, Ravenna, old Loki) were really strong, but the show just really fails its lead. His character arc is clunkily speedrun in the first episode and then he is put into an unconvincing and underdeveloped romance. By the end he has lost much of his unique charm and feels like any random superhero despite the energy that Hiddleston puts into the role. And then the timeline stuff was so unconvincing that it managed to break my suspension of disbelief (which normally is pretty hard to do). Out of all MCU content probably only beats Dark World and Iron Man 2 for me. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

Scoopersphere right about the delay to October, then (if not necessarily the reasons).

Clear sailing for Ahsoka, at least.  Not that it would have dented Loki in the slightest, as I'm not that much of a SW Shill and Apologist, but it'll be nice not to have to worry about the two shows even potentially eating into each other.

Do think Disney is being more than a bit conservative here — maybe even too conservative as there's plenty of reasons to look at the performances of Ms, Marvel, She-Hulk, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Andor without bringing competition into the mix.   But, well, the scheduling decisions here are starting to speak for themselves.