cheesypoofs

Scream | January 14, 2022 | Profit of $56.7M

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Scream 1 is rereleasing in theaters on Sunday and Monday in the US with a new 4K remaster. Definitely seeing it 

Yes! Releasing here on Tuesday. Lots of sell outs and extra shows being added. 

A London cinema is apparently showing the new trailer on Monday night. We’ll see!

This is going to have a tough time at the box office, I think.  I'll preface my thoughts here by saying that Scream 4 is my favourite sequel in the series.  Having said that, I don't think many cared for the last one judging by the 2 multiplier from an 18 mill opening.  I hope this finds an audience, but I think this might sink into its own footprint. 

Scream to me is such a 90s franchise. I love the first three movies but the fourth one did very little for me. And I don't think anyone involved with the film is to blame. It's just hard to recapture the 90s feel of the original trilogy 10 or 20 years later.

Edited by DInky

10 hours ago, baumer said:

This is going to have a tough time at the box office, I think.  I'll preface my thoughts here by saying that Scream 4 is my favourite sequel in the series.  Having said that, I don't think many cared for the last one judging by the 2 multiplier from an 18 mill opening.  I hope this finds an audience, but I think this might sink into its own footprint. 

Yeah, 4 is why I'm very reluctant to expect anything beyond $50m

• Like 1

The big difference between now and Scream 4's release is that horror and 90s nostalgia are way more prominent and lucrative today. I don't think I need to explain the nostalgia side of things here, but in 2011, the biggest horror releases were Paranormal Activity 3 and then...*checks notes*...Insidious. In 2021, A Quiet Place II is comfortably ahead of PA3 despite the Plague. That's not even mentioning the consistent bangers from 2017-2019. Scream 4 simply came out at the wrong time IMO

I will never forget the meltdowns on Scream 4's OW. Outstanding moments. People were losing their mind when I created a fake link to DHD that mentioned a 30M OW, and then they actually died when the number was far lower. Everyone was thinking on 40-50M OW. Many even higher than that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Safin said:

The big difference between now and Scream 4's release is that horror and 90s nostalgia are way more prominent and lucrative today. I don't think I need to explain the nostalgia side of things here, but in 2011, the biggest horror releases were Paranormal Activity 3 and then...*checks notes*...Insidious. In 2021, A Quiet Place II is comfortably ahead of PA3 despite the Plague. That's not even mentioning the consistent bangers from 2017-2019. Scream 4 simply came out at the wrong time IMO

That's a fair point. I'd rather be surprised after having lower expectations after the pain of the Scream 4 weekend thread 😂

1 minute ago, CJ Sarandos said:

I will never forget the meltdowns on Scream 4's OW. Outstanding moments. People were losing their mind when I created a fake link to DHD that mentioned a 30M OW, and then they actually died when the number was far lower. Everyone was thinking on 40-50M OW. Many even higher than that.

A true classic of the BOM era, one of the last great meltdowns there

• Like 5

Just now, CJ Sarandos said:

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

That's a fair point. I'd rather be surprised after having lower expectations after the pain of the Scream 4 weekend thread 😂

So I know people keep mentioning the epic meltdowns over Scream 4's numbers...why exactly were expectations so high on the film? Was it because the old cast was coming back?