charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread: The End is Near.

Onward and Invisible Man clearly the 2 biggest casualties of the pandemic. Both had much higher hopes and now will probably wrap up below 80M domestic and outright die OS. All other movies are affected but almost all of them were at the end of their runs.

• Sad 2

Have to wonder if Disney is contemplating just putting Onward out on + at this point since theatrical is clearly a lost cause (unless they pull it and release it again another time). A total collapse of the normal window for sure but I doubt the major chains would hold it against them given the current circumstances.

Top 4 DOM that will stay in place through May...

Bad Boys

Sonic

Birds of Prey

Dolittle

Top 4 WW that will stay in place through May...

Bad Boys

Sonic 

Dolittle

Birds of Prey

All 4 of these movies will now be considered the "success" stories of the 1st 6 months of 2020...with Sonic and Bad Boys being the absolute blow out hits...(Edit - and Invisible Man.)

Boy, if I was in Back to the Future 2 and could have seen where we've gone, so I could place bets on this finish...no way there's a person in the world who expected this to be the box office placement through May 2020...(yes, I'm calling it now - might even say June, but I'm an optimist)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Onward and Invisible Man clearly the 2 biggest casualties of the pandemic. Both had much higher hopes and now will probably wrap up below 80M domestic and outright die OS. All other movies are affected but almost all of them were at the end of their runs.

TIM is a casualty only in that it was obivously poised to have strong legs. Second weekend drop was amazing and that was when corona was blamed for Onward debacle. But it made all the money it needed already and is profitable so that's that. 

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

To be fair Invisible Man could stop playing just now and be a huge hit. $122m worldwide, $7m budget and a great opening weekend. 

Onward on the other hand... will probably end 2020 as one of the biggest bombs of the whole year. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Have to wonder if Disney is contemplating just putting Onward out on + at this point since theatrical is clearly a lost cause (unless they pull it and release it again another time). A total collapse of the normal window for sure but I doubt the major chains would hold it against them given the current circumstances.

I'm selfishly hoping they do just that after I missed it last weekend. It's the first Pixar joint that isn't a Cars sequel that I didn't see in theatrical release.

32 minutes ago, a2k said:

ONWARD 50 os + 70 dom = 120 ww, under 123 dom of TGD

Unique circumstances so it's not on the movie at all, but still those stats are something to behold.

Eh? It isn't a must-see so yes it's on it. Sure, it arrived during the worst time but it was still poised to make a lot less than an average Pixar. It didn't look good, reviews were tepid, Sonic is still siphoning the audience.

Edited by Valonqar

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Eh? It isn't a must-see so yes it's on it. Sure, it arrived during the worst time but it was still poised to make a lot less than an average Pixar. It didn't look good, reviews were tepid, Sonic is still siphoning the audience.

Yes yes, we get it. You think it would have bombed epically neverthless, you made it clear the 10th time you said it. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Yes yes, we get it. You think it would have bombed epically neverthless, you made it clear the 10th time you said it. 

it would so why is it different from 10th times someone says it isn't Onward's fault it's all corona? Pixar made a crap movie big deal. They'll recover with that "Jamie Foxx becomes a Smurf" movie that looks really cute. 

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

it would so why is it different from 10th times someone says it isn't Onward's fault it's all corona? Pixar made a crap movie big deal. They'll recover with that "Jamie Foxx becomes a Smurf" movie that looks really cute. 

You're honestly trying to claim the 2nd weekend collapse isn't due to current events?

• Like 5