charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread: The End is Near.

At my area(Santa Clara County) any gathering greater than 35 people are banned for next 3 weeks. So my kids schools are out as well(in fact for 4 weeks) and I am expecting even Cinema theater closure if that has to be maintained. I dont see how they can sustain running in those conditions. 

Definitely saturday increase will not be great if it happens in more locations which is inevitable. 

Today, Dr. Sara Cody, the County Public Health Officer, is issuing a mandatory order prohibiting public or private gatherings of more than 100 people. This order will take effect at 12:00 a.m. on March 14, 2020 and will remain in place for at least three weeks. Public Health is also banning gatherings of 35 to 100 people unless certain conditions are met to reduce the likelihood of transmission at those events.

A gathering is any event or convening that brings together people in a single room or single space at the same time, such as an auditorium, stadium, arena, conference room, meeting hall, cafeteria, theater, restaurant, bar, or any other confined indoor or confined outdoor space. The ban does not include normal operations at airports or spaces where persons may be in transit; office environments; classrooms; medical offices, hospitals, or clinics; or retail, pharmacy, or grocery stores where large numbers of people may be present.

https://www.kron4.com/news/santa-clara-county-bans-public-gatherings-of-35-to-250-people/

• Sad 2

It was never in risk of missing 100m if it was released outside this. So its on Disney who left money on the table both domestic and international. It could have even done well in China considering subject matter. Now its all moot. 

I am not gonna cry for Disney. They are swimming in blockbusters. But it was still stupid as tons of folks worked hard to create a movie and deserve an optimal release. 

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

It was never in risk of missing 100m if it was released outside this. So its on Disney who left money on the table both domestic and international. It could have even done well in China considering subject matter. Now its all moot. 

I am not gonna cry for Disney. They are swimming in blockbusters. But it was still stupid as tons of folks worked hard to create a movie and deserve an optimal release. 

They made a film that looked unappealing. It was tracking poorly for ages before any concerns. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

They made a film that looked unappealing. It was tracking poorly for ages before any concerns. 

Still it had good reviews and in a normal situation it would done way better than what it has done. Tracking was actually higher than what it did anyway. Still it was not gonna be a blockbuster. Now its a write off. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Still it had good reviews and in a normal situation it would done way better than what it has done. Tracking was actually higher than what it did anyway. Still it was not gonna be a blockbuster. Now its a write off. 

Low end tracking was $40m, it wasn’t breaking out. 

1 hour ago, Arendelle Legion said:

In normal conditions it could have done at least 42->140 or so I think. Missing half that total is still on the table now.

You do have to feel bad for the people who really put their hard work and hearts into this movie

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

That's the best news I've heard all week!!!!!!!!!!!

"a number of upcoming tentpole movies (including Fast and Furious 9, No Time to Die, A Quiet Place Part II, Mulan, New Mutants) have delayed their releases, and some smaller films are following suit."

New Mutants is a tentpole movie!

Finally, something I can be happy about!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I have no idea what the financial repercussions of it would be, but I do know if studios were to release their upcoming slate straight to streaming, the views would be through the roof. Who knows how much of the world will be on lockdown before long and people are going to be desperate for any kind of escapism amidst all this. The Disney+ views for something like Mulan for example would be stratospheric. But again, I don't know if that's the financially more viable route. 

Hell, moving a 100 million+ movie from theaters to streaming has been done before with Warner with Mowgli. Was supposed to hit theaters, then came out on Netflix. Granted it was really, really, bad.

I don't see them doing it with Mulan (I see them dumping New Mutants or Artemis Fowl) on streaming, but yeah, having Mulan debut on their (without even adding a Pay Per View price) would be phenomenal. You'd get more signups.

Best pandemic movies are Oscar/Sundance/Europan auteur films movies since the 70's.

The way they have spread their naive, progressive, basic as fuck, simplistic, religious, new puritan values will do much more damage to the world than Covid .

Edited by The Futurist
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am glad that at least this is about Onward instead of Mulan, and Disney did learn from Onward's takings and save their other movies.