Eric Duncan

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Scoob is out today right? yet not all over the world?  yeah, that's going to turn out well.

It may not have been tracking great a few months ago, but that kind of movie would have been perfect for when theaters start re-opening.  An animated movie with no competition for months, and they jumped the gun throwing it out on demand.  Might well have been a nice little hit for WB, and eased families back in to the moviegoing sphere.

Maybe that's what they're planning in some territories

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

BTW, did Trolls 2 made $100mn on VOD or Physical/Digital? VOD TBH doesn't make much sense. Just release it on Physical/Digital no?

Cheaper to send it it straight to VOD, no distribution or printing costs. 

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

BTW, did Trolls 2 made $100mn on VOD or Physical/Digital? VOD TBH doesn't make much sense. Just release it on Physical/Digital no?

I am not sure what you mean about not making sense.

Certainly not for Universal considering the amount (they can rent it-sell it again to the same customer, someone said that in the UK many family did rent it multiple time, not sure how true that was).

And hard to argue for the customer, it made sense for millions of them.

For you and me, obviously it make no sense, but it we would have never considered buying it on digital or physical either.

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

And hard to argue for the customer, it made sense for millions of them

Not for studio. I mean studio will obviously like money.

Its consumer I am talking about. Isn't it more rational to buy the content at some $20 than rent for few days in same price. That's what I was saying.

If VOD is $20, totally expect Blu Ray to exceed $50 even, but that's not gonna happen either I guess.

Not same but similar. In India Google Play/You Tube rent a movie for a month with 48 hours watch time in ₹150 i.e. $2. You can buy the same film in ₹720 i.e. $9.75.

What I was saying. The producers will use the leverage for better terms with plexes to not skip theatrical window.

Currently producers are asking for better terms and some even share in overpriced F&B, which is rational in some sort.

Last time the trade war happened was in 2009, back then producers had nothing to leverage and they were losing the huge Plex business. Now they have OTT money, even par 60-70% of theatrical. For some films OTT > Theatrical.

Now they can use that leverage and do direct release in OTT & Single Screens. The Plex audience is mostly on OTT, Plexes will have to listen the producers. 

23 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

Apple

1. Capone

2. Uncut Gems

3. Tombstone

4. The Invisible Man

5. Mad Max Fury Road

6. Fantasy Island

7. Bloodshot

8. Scoob!

9. Top Gun

10. Sonic the Hedgehog

Amazon

1. Trolls World Tour

2. Bloodshot

3. Bombshell

4. Bad Boys for Life

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. The Greatest Showman

7. Scoob!

8. The Gentlemen

9. Fantasy Island

10. Jumanji: The Next Level

Apple

1. Scoob!

2. Uncut Gems

3. Capone

4. Tombstone

5. The Invisible Man

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. Mad Max: Fury Road

8. Sonic the Hedgehog

9. Fantasy Island

10. Top Gun

Amazon

1. Scoob!

2. Trolls World Tour

3. Bloodshot

4. Sonic the Hedgehog

5. Bad Boys for Life

6. The Greatest Showman

7. The Gentlemen

8. Bombshell

9. Fantasy Island

10. Jumanji: The Next Level

• Like 1

13 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Why will anyone do that? I mean $20 for a film for some days? Isn't Blu Ray at $20 a better option?

Desperate parents and it was kinda of a first. Universal will fail big te of they try it again. 

I wanted to see but $20 for a rental on my 50 inch? Fuck that.

16 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Its consumer I am talking about. Isn't it more rational to buy the content at some $20 than rent for few days in same price. That's what I was saying.

If VOD is $20, totally expect Blu Ray to exceed $50 even, but that's not gonna happen either I guess.

That a VOD price for the first week, Avengers End Game bluray before it release in theater could have sold a big amount.

It is maybe more rational to wait for a $1 redbox or free torrent if you have the bandwidth, it is a long time determined that agents are not rational.

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

That a VOD price for the first week, Avengers End Game bluray before it release in theater could have sold a big amount.

It is maybe more rational to wait for a $1 redbox or free torrent if you have the bandwidth, it is a long time determined that agents are not rational.

I can understand that people paying $20 for VOD, I can't understand when Blu Ray is $20, VOD is $20 too. If BR is $50, then VOD $20 is all but understandable.

or they are delaying Blu Ray for next 4 months.

Another question, why isn't Torrent popular in USA? In India Torrent has killed basically whole of Home Video market. In fact now OTT being affordable has stopped many of us from torrenting but even they help Torrents with HD quality prints, which earlier used to come after months, now its just 8 weeks at max.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:18 AM, charlie Jatinder said:

Why will anyone do that? I mean $20 for a film for some days? Isn't Blu Ray at $20 a better option?

I think so. Absolutely. Unfortunately, a lot of people nowadays don't give a crap about physical media. There's no sort of sentimentality anymore, which is why digital reigns.

The standard price for new release blu rays here is $24.99 Canadian. i'd absolutely rather pay that than $20 or even $18 or something for a digital copy. The blu rays come with digital codes anyway!

Edited by JB33

41 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Another question, why isn't Torrent popular in USA? In India Torrent has killed basically whole of Home Video market. In fact now OTT being affordable has stopped many of us from torrenting but even they help Torrents with HD quality prints, which earlier used to come after months, now its just 8 weeks at max.

Because it's easier to just buy a movie than torrent it and also, because the anti-piracy laws in the US are more strict. 

48 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Because it's easier to just buy a movie than torrent it

Is it though?

48 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

because the anti-piracy laws in the US are more strict. 

Aren't they everywhere? I mean we can't even open Torrent in India without VPN. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder