Eric Atreides

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

Speaking of The Greatest Showman, it’s just become the first ever film to have more than 1 million digital downloads here in the UK. That’s 500,000 ahead of it’s nearest rival in digital sales: Bohemian Rhapsody. 

In total home video sales, it’s the top 2018 release, selling more than double its nearest competitor, Avengers: Infinity War. 

https://www.officialcharts.com/p/29945

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

23 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

Apple

1. The Hunt

2. The Invisible Man

3. Bad Boys for Life

4. Birds of Prey

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. Harriet

7. Judy

8. Scoob!

9. The Gentlemen

10. The Blackout: Invasion Earth

Amazon

1. Trolls World Tour

2. Scoob!

3. Bloodshot

4. Knives Out

5. The Greatest Showman

6. Sonic the Hedgehog

7. Jumanji: The Next Level

8. Bad Boys for Life

9. The Gentlemen

10. Game Night

Apple

1. The Hunt

2. Gone with the Wind

3. Birds of Prey

4. Bad Boys for Life

5. Gemini Man

6. The Invisible Man

7. Judy

8. Sonic the Hedgehog

9. Scoob!

10. Batman

Amazon

1. Trolls World Tour

2. Scoob!

3. Knives Out

4. Bloodshot

5. The Greatest Showman

6. Sonic the Hedgehog

7. Jumanji: The Next Level

8. Bad Boys for Life

9. The Gentlemen

10. Game Night

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

I wonder if those buying Gone With The Wind now are HBO users who wanted to watch it on the streaming service but can't anymore, or just fans of the movie wanting to support it.

I doubt a 4 hour long 1939 movie has many fans. I'm betting it's conservative twitter buying it on Amazon probably thinking their money goes to Amazon rather than WB.

• Like 1

Reality is getting rid Gone With the Wind on HBO wont make it vanish so its sort of a pointless debate.

It is likely with Star War 1977 and Titanic the most watched movie in the 20th century and is very well known even by people who never seen it.

I think rather then trying to ban a film, best to have a debate about it and realize its problems and the influence it had on the American psyche over 80 years? 

personally watching it, i can see why it was so famous and popular as it a rather epic melodramatic film but it does have an issue of romanticizing the civil war south but like its not the only film to romanticize bad things

Edited by Lordmandeep

10 hours ago, RealLyre said:

I wonder if those buying Gone With The Wind now are HBO users who wanted to watch it on the streaming service but can't anymore, or just fans of the movie wanting to support it.

You know exactly who’s downloading that film just now, lol. 

Red necks from twitter. 

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Proves nothing, it has many re-releases and adjusted for inflation is a bad indicator for admissions that's why i like the french way of measuring the box office of a movie which is counting the admissions not the money it has generated, it is way more accurate about knowing the popularity of a film and especially comparing different films of different eras.

6 minutes ago, Eren Jaeger said:

Proves nothing, it has many re-releases

What is it that this doesn't prove, exactly?

Getting "many re-releases" would tend to prove that Gone with the Wind has been, huh, rather popular for a long time - and would have a lot more fans than the average 1939 movie.

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I wonder how many of those fans are still alive 

Question is not the fans like this is the MCU Film lol 

Question is the influence of the movie over many decades on society. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Like, two years ago, Entertainment Weekly did an All-Time Best Actress Bracket and let the public vote, Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind won the whole thing over Streep in Sophie's Choice. That movie and the book(s, the estate authorized sequels starting in the 1990s, there was also an unauthorized parody from a slave character's POV) have a huge fandom for something so old and divisive. There's a Best Picture winner with literal blackface but you would not see The Broadway Melody trending like this if it got pulled from a streaming service, lol.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 3

Gone with the Wind did about $2.2 million last year for its Fathom Event, ahead of every other Fathom re-release. Wizard of Oz was the only one to hit 2M, and everything else this year didn't even come close to 1M, let alone 2M. That's a fair amount of fans for a 4-hour release.

And while I'm sure there are some MAGAs who want to "own the libs" by getting Gone with the Wind on digital, I sincerely doubt it's t to that large a demographic to push Gone with the Wind into #2 on iTunes. I get some of y'all are younger, but it seems that maybe, just maybe, the people buying/renting the movie are doing this...because they like the movie? They want to check it out? It being in the news made them want to check it out? Restrictions are still in place so there's nothing else to do?

This isn't even coming from a GwtW fan. I haven't seen it, and I don't really care that much to see it. But Occam's Razor suggests instead of this bizarro own the libs BS that it's just people wanting to catch something that was in the news.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i actually watched gone with the wind for the first time a couple years ago the last time there was some kind of controversy around it (some theater didn't want to play it or something?). and i thought it was great. clearly people getting mad about its existence every couple years is a marketing strategy that's paying off in some way.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Does this hurt or help HBO Max though, a service already doing weak numbers

neither? no one's on HBO Max just to watch gone with the wind and i can't see anyone being like "they removed gone with the wind, i gotta support them with a subscription"

• Like 2

I watched Gone With The Wind a couple of months ago and the most annoying part was the submissive slave trope. (idk how common it was for slaves back then to be cool with being slaves but seeing it on screen was discomfort), and there was also a scene where a character gets raped and the movie was trying to portray it as a romantic scene so that was gross. 

besides that the movie had a very high production value and could've ended an hour earlier than it did.

Edited by RealLyre