Eric Atreides

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ooh I haven’t seen any official numbers yet, source? 

AT&T is not releasing any official numbers, but the app only got 90k new downloads when it launched

42 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

And while I'm sure there are some MAGAs who want to "own the libs" by getting Gone with the Wind on digital, I sincerely doubt it's t to that large a demographic to push Gone with the Wind into #2 on iTunes. I get some of y'all are younger, but it seems that maybe, just maybe, the people buying/renting the movie are doing this...because they like the movie? They want to check it out? It being in the news made them want to check it out? Restrictions are still in place so there's nothing else to do?

I still feel like most of the fans of the movie (who are still alive) are much older and probably don't even know what HBO Max or even use VOD to buy/rent movies and aren't the reason the movie shot up to number 1. Looking at the movies that make into these top 10 charts (like Megan is Missing made was 6th once), I don't even think it's that hard to reach number 1 for a day or two and even a small number of "anti-woke" people can push it up to that spot.

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I doubt a 4 hour long 1939 movie has many fans. I'm betting it's conservative twitter buying it on Amazon probably thinking their money goes to Amazon rather than WB.

It is possibly the movie with the most fans in the USA and very popular worldwide, it aged incredibly well unlike say a Citizen Kane more like Casablanca/it's a wonderful life/Titanic, it is often the old release that make the most in theater:

https://theharrispoll.com/it-may-have-premiered-75-years-ago-but-it-would-appear-that-wind-has-still-got-legs-when-asked-to-name-their-favorite-movie-of-all-time-the-septuagenarian-civil-war-epic-gone-with-the-wind-is-ameri/

What is your favorite movie of all time?

Unprompted responses

Base: All adults

Gone with the Wind

Star Wars

Titanic

The Godfather

Lord of the Rings

The Sound of Music

Dirty Dancing

Wizard of Oz

It’s a Wonderful Life

E.T.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

I watched Gone With The Wind a couple of months ago and the most annoying part was the submissive slave trope.

You think it's bad in the movie, try reading the original book. I forget the exact wording but when she meets her (now free) ex-slave after returning home she instantly begins ordering him about and "his eyes shone at the relief of finally being told what to do again."

Edited by Hatebox
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

31 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I still feel like most of the fans of the movie (who are still alive) are much older and probably don't even know what HBO Max or even use VOD to buy/rent movies and aren't the reason the movie shot up to number 1

I feel VOD/HBO target audience is a bit older/richer than other more popular affair like SVOD, it was the favorite movie of the 50-68 in 2014.

In 2014, http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/5bh4hvl9d5/econTabReport.pdf

A giant 30% of american aged 18-29 remember having seen the movie, 47% for the 30-44, 76% for the 45-64.

Among those who remember seeing it those who find if good, very good or one of the best movie of all time vs percentage of those who said it was not very good or worst:

18-29: 61% / 16%

30-44: 87% / 0%

45-64: 83% / 3%

65+:    95% / 1%

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

I watched Gone With The Wind a couple of months ago and the most annoying part was the submissive slave trope. (idk how common it was for slaves back then to be cool with being slaves but seeing it on screen was discomfort), and there was also a scene where a character gets raped and the movie was trying to portray it as a romantic scene so that was gross. 

besides that the movie had a very high production value and could've ended an hour earlier than it did.

Its a very controversial topic but... 

There is a famous Malcom X Speech about it that explains the dynamics quite well. 

However even he said he found that character quite unnerving to watch, 

Edited by Lordmandeep

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Is anyone else inclined to think that taking GWTY off HBO Max was a publicity stunt?

I imagine you can find some but not many, it was simply by far the path of least resistance to a demand that was not engineered by the studio/right owner.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Is anyone else inclined to think that taking GWTY off HBO Max was a publicity stunt?

Companies usually do things to please the Twitter mobs before they go after another target as Twitter has the memory of a goldfish. 

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

You think it's bad in the movie, try reading the original book. I forget the exact wording but when she meets her (now free) ex-slave after returning home she instantly begins ordering him about and "his eyes shone at the relief of finally being told what to do again."

This is why fuck that movie forever. I've never seen a non-white person gushing about what a "beautiful" love story it is. Makes you wonder.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 12:26 AM, Eric Atreides said:

Apple

1. The Hunt

2. Gone with the Wind

3. Birds of Prey

4. Bad Boys for Life

5. Gemini Man

6. The Invisible Man

7. Judy

8. Sonic the Hedgehog

9. Scoob!

10. Batman

Amazon

1. Trolls World Tour

2. Scoob!

3. Knives Out

4. Bloodshot

5. The Greatest Showman

6. Sonic the Hedgehog

7. Jumanji: The Next Level

8. Bad Boys for Life

9. The Gentlemen

10. Game Night

Apple

1. Gone with the Wind

2. The Hunt

3. Gemini Man

4. Birds of Prey

5. The Invisible Man

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. Judy

8. Sonic the Hedgehog

9. Spies in Disguise

10. Scoob!

Amazon

1. Trolls World Tour

2. Scoob!

3. Knives Out

4. Bloodshot

5. The Greatest Showman

6. Sonic the Hedgehog

7. Jumanji: The Next Level

8. Bad Boys for Life

9. The Gentlemen

10. Grown Ups 2

• Like 3

wonder how long gone with the wind will stay at number 1, my guess few more days and it will be out of the top 10 in 10-14 days? 

also that movie is nowhere to be seen on the amazon top 10, is the movie cheaper on Apple? or is this just another arbitrary difference between the two VOD services 

8 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

This is why fuck that movie forever. I've never seen a non-white person gushing about what a "beautiful" love story it is. Makes you wonder.

It is considered to be one of the best movie ever made by a large amount of non white people, notably by 12% of adult african american that has seen it:

gwtw1.png

I would imagine in big part for the leads love story.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

wonder how long gone with the wind will stay at number 1, my guess few more days and it will be out of the top 10 in 10-14 days? 

also that movie is nowhere to be seen on the amazon top 10, is the movie cheaper on Apple? or is this just another arbitrary difference between the two VOD services 

I have a feeling @Eric Atreides's source might be wrong. This website has a different list of films that's much closer to the films on Amazon: https://www.google.com/amp/www.popvortex.com/amp/movies/top-movies.php

And this was an image of the top 1-8 (the film above The Hunt is GWTW) taken yesterday from the app itself: kxi6rhd7fd451.png

Something always seemed off about the Apple list posted here and I guess I now know why. Makes sense why BoP, The Invisible Man, and The Hunt never made it onto the Apple list and why Bloodshot is always on it. 

Edited by lorddemaxus