Eric Atreides

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

Trolls  worked because it was for families and people are starving for new product. I dont think VOD model is sustainable for certain types of films like comedies and once you start releasing multiple new films it really becomes dicey. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 2

somehow i think they'll find it in their hearts to forgive universal by the time something like F9 and jurassic world 3 rolls around. these dumb motherfuckers gotta realize soon enough that they don't really have any power in this situation.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

somehow i think they'll find it in their hearts to forgive universal by the time something like F9 and jurassic world 3 rolls around. these dumb motherfuckers gotta realize soon enough that they don't really have any power in this situation.

WB made similar comments last week about how they were rethinking the theatrical model with the SCOOB! announcement before walking back on them. Of course I'm also gonna guess the chains had a longer heads-up with that announcement than Universal gave them with Trolls (which was apparently within like an hour of when they made the decision to send it to VOD). We'll see if Universal puts out another statement tomorrow in an attempt to patch things up.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

WB made similar comments last week about how they were rethinking the theatrical model with the SCOOB! announcement before walking back on them. Of course I'm also gonna guess the chains had a longer heads-up with that announcement than Universal gave them with Trolls (which was apparently within like an hour of when they made the decision to send it to VOD). We'll see if Universal puts out another statement tomorrow in an attempt to patch things up.

In the case of WB, didn’t they still make it clear that movies like Tenet and WW84 would be released in theaters first?

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

hmmm I think if they back out of the "planned" day and date VOD/theaters releases, Universal will still at least start asking for shorter windows between theatrical & VOD. basically what Netflix was trying to achieve with the Irishman last year but major chains still refused.

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

In the case of WB, didn’t they still make it clear that movies like Tenet and WW84 would be released in theaters first?

exactly. what pissed off AMC is probably this statement  by Universal

“The results for ‘Trolls World Tour’ have exceeded our expectations and demonstrated the viability of PVOD,” Mr. Shell said. “As soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats.”

still a dumb decision on AMC's part since they don't really have that much leverage 

I just remembered that the theaters at CityWalk LA and Florida are both owned by AMC now. lol gonna be awkward when the next Jurassic World movie comes out and people vacationing at Universal Orlando won't be able to see it on their property.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

so can we expect Last Night in Soho to go straight to VOD? :thinking:

I'm sure eventually Universal will put out something saying "there was a mistake" and all that but AMC will still pass on some of their movies and Focus films as well within the next year to make a statement. Don't expect them to show Candyman or maybe (since the last one made almost $160M) Halloween Kills to make it clear how unhappy they were.

Fuck these theatres. I have zero sympathy with them. Its producer's film, he has the right to chose the way he gonna recover the money.

In India Multiplexes loot audience with high prices for films & ridiculous prices for food. They fuck producer/distributor in term of Share, VPFs, etc.

Fuck them.

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Oh shit.

This is going for the jugular...it seems neither side is playing, and they have both just declared an all-out war...

Maybe not the best timing by either one...so like the Spiderman issue last summer, I foresee too much money to be lost on both sides, so the rhetoric will cool off, and a deal will be made...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, babz06 said:

Trolls  worked because it was for families and people are starving for new product. I dont think VOD model is sustainable for certain types of films like comedies and once you start releasing multiple new films it really becomes dicey. 

Bingo...Trolls won't be replicated by anything else VoD once places start to reopen...it truly got the "holiday" and "captive audience" and "desire for anything special" trifecta and hit the total perfect circumstances for a movie...it won't happen again for a movie this middling and mid-popular,,,