Eric Atreides

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Aren't they everywhere? 

We are fine here. And that is why there is no life for movies after cinema. Also why everything goes to cinema here, literally everything.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:09 AM, Eric Atreides said:

Apple

1. Scoob!

2. Uncut Gems

3. Capone

4. Tombstone

5. The Invisible Man

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. Mad Max: Fury Road

8. Sonic the Hedgehog

9. Fantasy Island

10. Top Gun

Amazon

1. Scoob!

2. Trolls World Tour

3. Bloodshot

4. Sonic the Hedgehog

5. Bad Boys for Life

6. The Greatest Showman

7. The Gentlemen

8. Bombshell

9. Fantasy Island

10. Jumanji: The Next Level

Apple

1. Scoob!

2. Uncut Gems

3. Bad Boys for Life

4. Capone

5. The Invisible Man

6. Tombstone

7. The Gentlemen

8. Sonic the Hedgehog

9. Fantasy Island

10. The Assistant

Amazon

1. Scoob!

2. Trolls World Tour

3. Bloodshot

4. Sonic the Hedgehog

5. Bad Boys for Life

6. The Greatest Showman

7. The Gentlemen

8. Gladiator

9. Fantasy Island

10. Knives Out

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Is it though?

Aren't they everywhere? I mean we can't even open Torrent in India without VPN. 

It's certainly easier to buy a movie and stream it in minutes than accessing a VPN (most people don't even know what a VPN is), torrenting it from a safe site, and then downloading it (and who knows how long that will take).

Also, reading what a couple of Indians are said on the internet, only torrent sites are banned and you only need VPN to access them but not to actually download torrents. It's completely safe to torrent stuff without a VPN since ISPs don't issue warnings or remove your internet like they do in the US.

16 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I can understand that people paying $20 for VOD, I can't understand when Blu Ray is $20, VOD is $20 too. If BR is $50, then VOD $20 is all but understandable.

It is the windows difference, people are ready to pay more to have it in advance.

or they are delaying Blu Ray for next 4 months.

I imagine bluray will have a good delay

16 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Another question, why isn't Torrent popular in USA?

Illegal streaming got really popular instead of illegal downloads it is in term of law facing consequence judged quite safer, it got so popular that they sold pre made android illegal stream box for it, free youtube and OTT at low price are also big competitor to illegal content, USA has the richest people on earth for country with not a very small population use to spend a fortune on their TV/movie (the average cable user in the US spent $100 US monthly on it and you could think that cable/satellite would be niche in that country considering the very rich and generous free TV offering they have and high cable price, no it is still ultra popular).

That said the USA in absolute numbers is still the country with the most traffic in piracy sites (at least still was in 2018), almost twice as india (maybe not by high bandwidth/data cap internet people):

https://www.statista.com/statistics/786046/media-piracy-site-visits-by-country/

# Country Billion visits
1 United States 17.38
2 Russia 14.468
3 India 9.589
4 France 7.339
5 Turkey 7.335
6 Ukraine 6.126
7 Indonesia 6.075
8 United Kingdom 5.75
9 Germany 5.356

15 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Aren't they everywhere? I mean we can't even open Torrent in India without VPN. 

They change a lot country to country in a lot of country it is not even illegal to stream pirated content and in some like Canada it is not illegal to download pirated music and in term of application most country do not really apply them (in Canada internet provider refuse to give info to studio about who client IP addresses is responsible for the downloads)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AJG said:

Because America has Data Caps which absolutley crazy to me. 

Considering Netflix/Disney+ popularity in that market I am not sure that much of the issue (torrent fan take no data cap options), with ott streaming you use data for every watch, with torrent it is a one time deal:

https://www.allconnect.com/blog/internet-service-providers-with-data-caps

They pretty much have an unlimited offer and modern data cap seem to be 150 GB and up.

14 to 24 dollars for a Blu or digital isn't really that outrageous.

also because 14-24 dollars in countries with a high average income is cheap while that same amount in countries with lower income may not feel as cheap.

which is another factor as to why Piracy is more widespread outside of North America & Western Europe.

23 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

Apple

1. Scoob!

2. Uncut Gems

3. Bad Boys for Life

4. Capone

5. The Invisible Man

6. Tombstone

7. The Gentlemen

8. Sonic the Hedgehog

9. Fantasy Island

10. The Assistant

Amazon

1. Scoob!

2. Trolls World Tour

3. Bloodshot

4. Sonic the Hedgehog

5. Bad Boys for Life

6. The Greatest Showman

7. The Gentlemen

8. Gladiator

9. Fantasy Island

10. Knives Out

Apple

1. Scoob!

2. Uncut Gems

3. Bad Boys for Life

4. Capone

5. The Invisible Man

6. Sonic the Hedgehog

7. The Gentlemen

8. Fantasy Island

9. Tombstone

10. Bloodshot

Amazon

1. Scoob!

2. Trolls World Tour

3. Bloodshot

4. Bad Boys for Life

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. The Greatest Showman

7. The Gentlemen

8. Knives Out

9. Fantasy Island

• Like 1

Apple

1. Scoob!

2. Uncut Gems

3. Bad Boys for Life

4. Capone

5. The Invisible Man

6. Sonic the Hedgehog

7. The Gentlemen

8. Fantasy Island

9. Tombstone

10. Bloodshot

Amazon

1. Scoob!

2. Trolls World Tour

3. Bloodshot

4. Bad Boys for Life

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. The Greatest Showman

7. The Gentlemen

8. Knives Out

9. Fantasy Island

Apple

1. Scoob!

2. Uncut Gems

3. Bad Boys for Life

4. Capone

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. The Invisible Man

7. Tombstone

8. Fantasy Island

9. The Gentlemen

10. Bloodshot

Amazon

1. Scoob!

2. Trolls World Tour

3. Bloodshot

4. The Greatest Showman

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. The Gentlemen

8. Knives Out

9. Jumanji: The Next Level

10. Fantasy Island

• Like 1

So these are all the movies that have so far been announced as skipping theaters:

The Lovebirds

Charm City Kings

Trolls World Tour

My Spy

The High Note

Scoob!

Military Wives

Artemis Fowl

Greyhound

The King of Staten Island

Clouds

Basically mainly comedies and kids movies are the things that are being sent to streaming while the tentpoles are being delayed. This is one way of lessening the backlog of movies.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:47 PM, AJG said:

Because America has Data Caps which absolutley crazy to me. 

This is correct. I have a rather generous (by US standards) 1TB monthly cap. There are months where we have to curb activity because we're getting close to limiting out (I get a warning at 90%, and we've hit that just past the 15th of the month on more than one occasion). I've got a larger than average family (6 in the house) but we only have one TV and we don't stream more than the average family does IMO. The TV is only on a few hours a day unless the littlest ones are watching it. What really gets my wife and I is that we're avid gamers. I downloaded the new Doom game and boom there's 70GB of my monthly limit gone. If there's a new game we're playing co-coperatively we can easily burn 100-200GB in an hour or two to install it on multiple computers. So we can only download a handful of such games in a given month. Thankfully the releases are spread out so this isn't that big of an issue most of the time.

There's a point to be made about streaming something multiple times vs downloading it once. However, the counter to that is many people only watch a movie or TV show one time and never watch it again. Also, because of the compression used it generally uses a LOT less bandwidth to stream a movie at 1080p (~3GB) or 4k (~9GB) than to download a bluray or 4k rip. We could get into highly compressed encodes (I've seen 1080p movies crunched down to ~2GB) but then the quality really suffers, even compared to streaming. Then there's the storage issue. If you're going to have a large library of movies and TV shows you're going to need to use Plex or Kodi or something, and you'll need a server / NAS or something similar to save them on. This is way outside the tech capability for many US households. I do have a Plex server, though. I share my library with my parents and my brother. We still stream way more than we add to the library. I only bother adding things that I know we'll watch many times, so it is mostly TV shows for the little ones. I also can't tell you how many times my 4 year old has seen Moana. He's pretended to be Maui since before he was 2. His record is about 3 viewings in a single day.

16 hours ago, doublejack said:

This is correct. I have a rather generous (by US standards) 1TB monthly cap. There are months where we have to curb activity because we're getting close to limiting out (I get a warning at 90%, and we've hit that just past the 15th of the month on more than one occasion). I've got a larger than average family (6 in the house) but we only have one TV and we don't stream more than the average family does IMO. The TV is only on a few hours a day unless the littlest ones are watching it. What really gets my wife and I is that we're avid gamers. I downloaded the new Doom game and boom there's 70GB of my monthly limit gone. If there's a new game we're playing co-coperatively we can easily burn 100-200GB in an hour or two to install it on multiple computers. So we can only download a handful of such games in a given month. Thankfully the releases are spread out so this isn't that big of an issue most of the time.

If you would have torrented doom how much more of your monthly limit that would have gone ?

Any legal download (would it be Netflix or your game you bought) vs torrent can rarely be explained by monthly cap.

Also, because of the compression used it generally uses a LOT less bandwidth to stream a movie at 1080p (~3GB) or 4k (~9GB) than to download a bluray or 4k rip.

Good quality 1080p torrent bluray rip are about the same size, I do not imagine a streamer made to be run on very weak hardware like a smart TV to be better than the best modern compression made to be run on powerful device. If someone is streaming content in 4K, datacap is probably not the reason (if Internet neutrality is still going on in the USA, in the Canada there is no Internet neutrality and Internet provider can if they want not count youtube-netflix-regular tv via the web in people data cap).

Has for the library, like you said many watch only one time and TV content would be the most popular (in that case no need to keep a library), more complicated to do than simply press play on your smart TV for the richest people on earth already use to spend huge money on content is probably a big reason why, law being more serious about it because people are pirating American made stuff a lot being an other one (and American taking stealing more seriously than many other culture).

Japan for example do not do it, I do not imagine it is necessarily because of lesser monthly data plan.

Or take a much clearer example, torrenting music vs streaming it, even in a place like Canada where it is not illegal to do so, someone that stream music (legally for free on youtube or spotify or paying for it) instead of torrenting it is certainly not because of data plan (mobile data cost way more than pre-downloading it) or because a collection of music need a complex multiple large hard drive.

Edited by Barnack

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Amazed at Greyhound. That had real potential to break out with Hanks attached. Alas, Sony didn’t want to take the gamble. A shame. 

Pointed this out in the movie's thread but production on Greyhound began in January of 2018 for a March 2019 release. They've been sitting on it for a while and probably selected mid-June just to see if they could milk some Father's Day dollars out of it, and once COVID-19 hit and derailed those plans they probably figured it wasn't worth keeping any longer.

• Like 1

Apple

1. Scoob!

2. Uncut Gems

3. Bad Boys for Life

4. Capone

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. The Invisible Man

7. Tombstone

8. Fantasy Island

9. The Gentlemen

10. Bloodshot

Amazon

1. Scoob!

2. Trolls World Tour

3. Bloodshot

4. The Greatest Showman

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. The Gentlemen

8. Knives Out

9. Jumanji: The Next Level

10. Fantasy Island

Apple

1. Scoob!

2. Uncut Gems

3. Bad Boys for Life

4. Birds of Prey

5. Capone

6. Sonic the Hedgehog

7. Jumanji: The Next Level

8. Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures

9. Tombstone

10. Justice League Dark: Apokolips War

Amazon

1. Scoob!

2. Trolls World Tour

3. Bloodshot

4. The Greatest Showman

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. The Gentlemen

8. Knives Out

9. Fantasy Island

• Like 1

Streaming movies and tv shows without paying a monthly fee for a streaming service or cable is pretty easy. 

Buy a Firestick. Plug it into your tv, change a couple settings, download a couple apps and BOOM, your good to go.