Eric Atreides

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

55 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

aren't blockbusters the reason this issue started in the first place? if it wasn't for blockbusters, everything else could go to VOD/streaming and still break-even. but because blockbusters are so expensive and studios want to make money on their investments. we have to go with the inconvenience of going to theaters.

It depend when I imagine and I cannot but sure but I doubt this is necessarily true.

Many years studio spent more releasing movie in theater than their theatrical rental (i.e. theatrical marketing and prints was more than what they got from theater ticket sales, let alone starting to pay the movie cost back).

Why ? Theatrical was a fantastic ads for the next windows (and Dvds were a gold mine), it could be because how cheap direct to DVD stuff was perceived and something that went away over time but I am not sure everything else could do nice money from VOD right now.

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Sooo multi-billion Jurassic World finale will be in theaters for 17 days...?

Obviously not, but even for movie that they would get the release on PVOD after 17 days, I am not sure that it mean they would be out of theater right away. Right now we see blockbuster continue there end of theatrical legs after the blurays release, if those PVOD are priced quite high (a bit like what we saw with trolls and the others $27 rental type), theater stay a possible option for people in the city with the theater that will play that type of movie if the other chains join and that would not be surprising, while independant theater already didn't had the will to try to enforce a window and were playing Netflix stuff.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Eric Sparrow said:

Apple

1. The Rental

2. The Outpost

3. Trolls World Tour

4. The Invisible Man

5. Bad Boys for Life

6. The High Note

7. A Nice Girl Like You

8. John Lewis: Good Trouble

9. The Gentlemen

10. Rad

Amazon

1. The Greatest Showman

2. Trolls World Tour

3. The King of Staten Island

4. Game Night

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. Jumanji: The Next Level

8. The Gentlemen

9. The Addams Family

10. Bloodshot

Apple

1. The Rental

2. You Should Have Left

3. The Outpost

4. Trolls World Tour

5. Scoob!

6. The Invisible Man

7. Bad Boys for Life

8. Extra Ordinary

9. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

10. The High Note

Amazon

1. The Greatest Showman

2. Trolls World Tour

3. The King of Staten Island

4. Game Night

5. Sonic the Hedgehog

6. Bad Boys for Life

7. Jumanji: The Next Level

8. The Gentlemen

9. The Addams Family

10. Mr. Jones

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

This sound very unfortunate to the theater but it give silver lining also to those movies with good Word of mouth and they won't be drowning in the bulk of new release 

Why would they face less new release (arguably like it is mentioned, maybe people will take more chance on theatrical release on their movies if that does not contractually lock them out of other options for many weeks, even if the movie fail and is out of theater almost right away)

https://deadline.com/2020/07/cineworld-universal-amc-theatrical-windows-pvod-deal-1202998245/

EXCLUSIVE: Those in town assuming that one of the other big exhibition circuits will fall in line with AMC, and seek their own 17-day theatrical window-PVOD deal with Universal, will soon realize that it will be a cold day in hell.

Cineworld CEO Mooky Greidinger, who oversees the world’s second largest chain, exclusively tells Deadline “We do not see any business sense in this model” when it comes to Universal and AMC’s agreement for a 17-day theatrical window for movies, with an option to go on PVOD thereafter.

“While we don’t know the full details and we are always analyzing any move in the industry, we will analyze it. People need to be aware that the first big movie from Universal is coming only in six months so there is no pressure here,” said Greidinger, “But we clearly see this as a wrong move at the wrong time. Clearly we are not changing our policy with regards to showing only movies that are respecting the theatrical window.”

I mentioned in the other thread last night that this whole deal doesn't sound much different from what Paramount did a few years ago where they announced some movies would be available on streaming a few weeks after opening and Regal and Cinemark announced they wouldn't play those movies (which ended up being flops anyway). It's definitely gonna be on a movie by movie basis and will likely only be used for stuff they have zero faith in. Things like Mortal Engines or Welcome to Marwen would've gone this route if such a deal were in place at the time.

• Like 2

What will the pricing be for the titles that go VOD after 17 days? The movie's not totally new but it's not 3 months old, either...somewhere between $5.99 and $20 for a rental? Everyone doesn't go to movies in big groups or live in a top market, the theater is actually cheaper some cases. When Covid is no longer a major threat, I am not sure about this business model. AMC has to survive to that point first...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

What will the pricing be for the titles that go VOD after 17 days? The movie's not totally new but it's not 3 months old, either...somewhere between $5.99 and $20 for a rental? Everyone doesn't go to movies in big groups or live in a top market, the theater is actually be cheaper some cases. When Covid is no longer a major threat, I am not sure about this business model. AMC has to survive to that point first...

will surely be that $19.99 if not higher

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

When theaters are open and you can spend $27 to watch it on a laptop some will do that. Many will say fuck that I'd rather watch it on a big screen with popcorn and all

I think the target (and logical audience) will watch it on a nice large HD tv.

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think the target (and logical audience) will watch it on a nice large HD tv.

I was teasing about the laptop. Lord knows I hope people are not spending $25 to watch on a computer. What a waste

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

will surely be that $19.99 if not higher

Not really an incentive if you live alone, unless I have a group of people over, which is not happening during a pandemic, and after it's over...I can just go to the movies again? Or I if I'm watching at home anyway, I'll just wait for the VOD price to drop, or keep waiting until it hits a streaming service I already subscribe to.

Thinking more about it, this AMC deal is shit. If other chains want the same deal as AMC, Universal is gonna end up getting practically nothing from PVOD sales (unless of course they increase the price by a substantial amount) and if other chains don't want the same deal, this AMC deal isn't gonna matter at all. This seemed like a good idea on paper but the logistics of it is completely messed up. 

• Like 1

By the time they dish out their percentages to the theaters and video distributors they’ll be left with less as a cut than they do from the cinemas! Let alone at an average lower sale per ticket (if you consider a family of four for example)

just makes no sense to me. I really don’t get it. The announcement felt seismic last night, but on reflection a day later - well it is just throwing money away. Kind of feels like it’s never going to happen to me. No way the other chains and studios are going to follow it - which means it’s screwed. 

You cannot assume a film will make the same amount of money over three weekends if the audience knows they could watch it at home with a tiny wait.  

• Like 2