Eric Atreides

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

UK chains have agreed to "COVID Emergency Window" of one month:

“What we’re doing on the basis of trying to help out the studios and our partners is to look at an emergency COVID window which is just the maximum amount of flexibility to get movies onto screens,” says a senior source close to U.K. discussions, who assures the “Wonder Woman 1984” scenario “isn’t setting up a precedent for the future, but acknowledging that we’re finding ways of working together.”

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Can they invent a special Oscar just for WB this year for being the studio that handled the pandemic the worst?

Back in August WB were seen as the saviour of theatres...this is surely the real life version of “you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain” in the eyes of exhibitors.

Good luck getting people to pay cinema prices again in 2022 after a year of paying $15 a month. This will have after effects long after COVID.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m assuming that AT&T has officially killed WB’s working relationship with Christopher Nolan

We'll see if this plan even sticks but it really does feel like they saw the returns for Tenet and went all "you were supposed to be the chosen one" and then said fuck it, let's just write off almost everything we have in the pipeline.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I’m assuming that AT&T has officially killed WB’s working relationship with Christopher Nolan

I think he’ll stick with them. WB are still allowing their films to screen in cinemas even if it’s shared with streaming, so it’s not like Disney where they took Soul and Mulan away from theatres entirely. Plus, Nolan doesn’t currently have anything in production, so he’s probably hoping that the pandemic will be over and things are more back to normal by the time his next film is ready for release. I’d be surprised if this saw the end of his arrangement with WB.

6 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I think he’ll stick with them. WB are still allowing their films to screen in cinemas even if it’s shared with streaming, so it’s not like Disney where they took Soul and Mulan away from theatres entirely. Plus, Nolan doesn’t currently have anything in production, so he’s probably hoping that the pandemic will be over and things are more back to normal by the time his next film is ready for release. I’d be surprised if this saw the end of his arrangement with WB.

Nolan's arrangements with WB includes back-end participation. Can't get back-end without the box office, and I don't see Nolan compromising on the business aspect, much like he doesn't compromise on the on-screen aspect of his films.

6 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Nolan's arrangements with WB includes back-end participation. Can't get back-end without the box office, and I don't see Nolan compromising on the business aspect, much like he doesn't compromise on the on-screen aspect of his films.

If the entire studio industry abandons theaters, he won't really have a choice other than to accept the new reality. There is reason to believe that all of the studios are wanting to cut out theaters entirely. Personally I don't understand the logic of this for movies with large budgets and widespread appeal at the box office. Maybe their plan after cutting out theaters is to significantly increase the price of Disney Plus, HBO Max, Peacock, and whatever else. 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If the entire studio industry abandons theaters, he won't really have a choice other than to accept the new reality. There is reason to believe that all of the studios are wanting to cut out theaters entirely. Personally I don't understand the logic of this for movies with large budgets and widespread appeal at the box office. Maybe their plan after cutting out theaters is to significantly increase the price of Disney Plus, HBO Max, Peacock, and whatever else. 

I agree with you that theaters shouldn't (and won't) abandon theaters. However, that's clearly the message ATT/TimeWarner/WarnerMedia is sending today. I don't think any of the other major distributors with streaming platforms have been heading in this direction (day-and-date theater and streaming).

So as it pertains to Nolan, if ATT wants day-and-date to be their standard moving forward, I think Nolan will have no problem bouncing to a studio that is committed to the cinema experience first and foremost. Nolan has no loyalty to ATT.

I can not understate how massively stupid I think this move by ATT was.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

2 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I agree with you that theaters shouldn't (and won't) abandon theaters. However, that's clearly the message ATT/TimeWarner/WarnerMedia is sending today. I don't think any of the other major distributors with streaming platforms have been heading in this direction (day-and-date theater and streaming).

So as it pertains to Nolan, if ATT wants day-and-date to be their standard moving forward, I think Nolan will have no problem bouncing to a studio that is committed to the cinema experience first and foremost. Nolan has no loyalty to ATT.

I can not understate how massively stupid I think this move by ATT was.

Universal boycotted theaters because they wanted to put stuff on home video much earlier. Disney wants to go that way as well.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disney-reorganizes-to-focus-on-streaming-direct-to-consumer.html