Eric Atreides

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

On 9/22/2020 at 6:16 AM, lilmac said:

Universal really put themselves in a corner.  I wonder if their revenue sharing agreement with AMC applies to PVOD on Peacock or just standalone On-Demand. 

————————

Vote Trump 2020

I think standalone. There's no PVOD provision on Peacock - or any other streaming services aside from D+ - I believe.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Thanks. 

Let’s say Bond scores 80-90% on RT. There’s good buzz. It does $300M worldwide. Probably half of what it needs to break even. Could we see 10 million willing to pay $30 USD equivalent worldwide to stream it from their homes? Absolutely.  

depends on where it's released on PVOD.

If it happens I think it will only be in the US ad maybe UK too if second lockdown with cinema closures happens.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Thanks. 

Let’s say Bond scores 80-90% on RT. There’s good buzz. It does $300M worldwide. Probably half of what it needs to break even. Could we see 10 million willing to pay $30 USD equivalent worldwide to stream it from their homes? Absolutely.  

If TENET can do $300M there is no way Bond only makes $300m.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, antovolk said:

depends on where it's released on PVOD.

If it happens I think it will only be in the US ad maybe UK too if second lockdown with cinema closures happens.

Honestly I think if it gets that bad in the UK that they have to consider PVOD then it’ll definitely get delayed. If they stick to November it’s going to make a fraction of what Skyfall and Spectre made. It’ll do well for the current climate and I’m sure it’ll far surpass Tenet, but I doubt MGM/Universal will call that a win. If it’s a choice between UK PVOD and delaying, they surely delay it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

If TENET can do $300M there is no way Bond only makes $300m.

I doubt Bond does over $400M if it stays this year as numbers will increase over the fall/winter period.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

Under their terms, any movie that earns more than $50 million in opening weekend ticket sales has to stay in theaters for at least 31 days. All other titles will be available to rent on digital platforms after just 17 days.

According to insiders, those terms will also extend to AMC.

41 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Under their terms, any movie that earns more than $50 million in opening weekend ticket sales has to stay in theaters for at least 31 days. All other titles will be available to rent on digital platforms after just 17 days.

According to insiders, those terms will also extend to AMC.

So depressing. I was just looking at Wonder Woman's numbers. At day 31 it made 346M. After that it still made another 68M.  This deal is destroying good WOM movies. Plus no more movie breaking records

Edited by Maggie

30 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So depressing. I was just looking at Wonder Woman's numbers. At day 31 it made 346M. After that it still made another 68M.  This deal is destroying good WOM movies. Plus no more movie breaking records

The way I read it is that if a movie makes more than $50 million on OW then it has to stay in theatres for at least 31 days, emphasis on the “at least”, that doesn’t mean that on the 32nd day it HAS to appear on VOD. If you get a film like Jurassic World Dominion making more than $50 million on OW then you can pretty much guarantee that it’ll stay in theatres a lot longer than 31 days. We’ll still see big blockbusters breaking records eventually.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Hollywood do realise that with just 17 days window, they are essentially killing Asian market for their film.

I am not watching any film by paying money out of comfort of my home, if I am getting that in free in few days. 

It’ll be mainly smaller films though that have the 17 days and most of those films come to OS markets later (sometimes when they out on digital in the US already) 

Blockbusters of $50m+ opening are in for a minimum of a month and no way that something like an MCU film would go that short if it was still earning good money. 

By the way with this recent news I fully expect Disney to announce something similar and maybe that’s what they will use Premier Access for (a second window between theatrical and before home video and Disney+ for all subs)

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2020/11/universal-cineplex-amc-cinemark-theatrical-window-pvod-1234619367/

Universal has just inked another multi-year shortened theatrical window/PVOD share deal, this time with Canada’s biggest exhibitor, Cineplex.

The deal comes on the heels of Uni’s recent pact with No. 3 U.S. chain Cinemark. To date, Cineplex becomes the third exhibitor to agree to Uni’s truncated theatrical window terms since AMC first signed on back in July.

The deal is on par with Uni’s Cinemark deal which guarantees at least three full weekends (17 days) of theatrical exclusivity for all Universal Pictures and Focus Features theatrical releases, at which point the studio has the option to take it to PVOD, including the Cineplex Store. Any movie opening north of $50M at the domestic B.O. will play in theaters for 31 days before being made available on PVOD. And, again, just because the movie is on PVOD, doesn’t mean it gets pulled from theaters. It’s no surprise to see Cineplex on board with this, as the chain’s President and CEO Ellis Jacob has always been open-minded and pragmatic about crunching the theatrical window.