Eric Atreides

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

19 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

$20 price for rental is pretty insane though? I mean movie theaters are also rentals since you only watch once but tickets are like $8 or something. 

It's already been explained so I won't do it (the exact same way) again, but I will say, as someone interested in Trolls 2 (I love the first one), I'd still go to a theater to see if (If they'll be open), because I don't know if I'll like it. I'm not a parent, I'm not trying to shut a child up for 2 hours. I'd much rather spend 5$ to see if I like something instead of 20$. I just have myself to entertain.

this will happen for all non blockbusters and all movies in theaters now. $20 is cheap for big market. Their one 2d ticket is $15 ish. So family movies could be popular. I wont mind renting Onward for $20. Do it Disney. 

Anyway new DVD/Blu-ray cannot release until situation settles down and studios will keep it off streaming for a while as well. 

20 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

$20 price for rental is pretty insane though? I mean movie theaters are also rentals since you only watch once but tickets are like $8 or something. 

In a lot of areas, it's way more than that. Matinee tickets only go up to $10 here, and cost about $13-15 past 4PM. $20 rental isn't that far off from what evening tickets here cost.

And if people are stuck at home with other people, that makes the $20 pricetag easier to swallow.

And of course, in a few months, they'll drop down the rental price. This is basically just for people who want to see a movie first thing.

• Like 1

Will be fascinating to see how successful this ends up being. With a lot of people unemployed for the foreseeable future, paying $20 to rent a movie currently in theaters for 48 hours is probably not one of the highest priorities for many (depending on how long this goes, even Netflix and other streaming services might start feeling the pain as more people start dropping subscriptions to save $$$).

Edited by filmlover

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's a film about a woman trying to get an abortion in another city. Sounds simple but from what I've heard, its probably the most important and best film released this year yet. Seems like the movie was supposed to have a Emma like run. Released in 4 theaters this weekend and I think it was going to 1000 theaters in a few weeks. Sucks that it got destroyed in this mess.

that & Minari got the best buzz out of Sundance. but Minari is yet to release (it was expected to a summer A24 release but who knows what will happen to it now)

35 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

you gotta think with something like trolls it could be a family of 4 paying to see it. seems like a good deal when some families are paying +50 bucks to go to the movies in some areas.

• Like 3

imo the studios shouldn't do this for any of their big money makers. Just let universal do its thing, and maybe some small releases over the next few months. Stuff like Mulan, Quiet Place, Black Widow etc. need to find a theatrical date. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney/20th Century absolutely should put New Mutants and Artemis Fowl on streaming when the fate for the former was sealed over two years ago and the latter looks like a write-off if there ever was one.

I agree. I'm not sure how it would work tho… do they put them on Disney+ for "free" for subscribers? Adding an extra paywall could piss off a lot of their subs. 

I don't think they should do anything drastic like put Black Widow on streaming or anything. 

After both NY and LA (the movie states of the country by far) shut down their theaters it was probably only a matter of time until someone did this. Now we'll just have to see if it's the start of a trend or if it ends up being another The Interview where it's only because of the circumstances.

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

It is insane if you watch alone and compare it to the price of one movie ticket (like most per per view fight or pretty much anything), has a family of 4 use to buy pop-corn on location or couple that pay parking/babysitter it can look more sensible.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, MagnarTheGreat said:

$20 isn't a bad price when you're accustomed to buying tickets for your family/other people (family movies would benefit the most), it's a harder ask for a loner audience of one though.

Even still, if you've got a family to provide for you've got even more economic worries than the average single person so I don't see how you justify spending 20 bucks on a 2 day rental when there's Netflix, hulu, D+, etc. People might do it, but seems pretty stupid if you ask me during this period of uncertainty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

After both NY and LA (the movie states of the country by far) shut down their theaters it was probably only a matter of time until someone did this. Now we'll just have to see if it's the start of a trend or if it ends up being another The Interview where it's only because of the circumstances.

I'd put my money on the latter at this point but who knows.