Eric Atreides

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

20 minutes ago, lilmac said:

People have short memories and I think all will be back to the way it was...eventually. It's natural for people to want to go out and feature films have always been a good pastime. A 6-12 month shock to the way we've always done things won't change decades of behavior overnight (even if it was already trending in that direction). Many of us are still wired to love going out to the movies. We'll see lingering effects for awhile ($100m being the new $200m) but eventually the movie economy will rightsize. This of course depends on the timing of the vaccine and whether in the near term getting over the curve is not merely a preview to the next curve absent a cure. China and SK will be interesting to watch. Factories are reopening but are restaurants, movie theaters, and malls?  

Maybe.

On 3/17/2020 at 12:04 AM, Eric Lightfoot said:

Universal Pictures is officially making their current movies in cinematic release –Blumhouse’s The Invisible Man and The Huntand Focus Features’ Emma– available in homes as early as this Friday for on-demand 48-hour rental at the suggested price of $19.99.

Still not updated.

https://www.releases.com/l/VOD_Movies/2020/3/

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I hope this is won't mark the end of theatrical experience. 

The longer the outbreak, the more vulnerable of the cinema, and eventually people will forget the cinema  

It is inevitable. I was going to take break from cinema going anyways this year. 

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The longer the outbreak, the more vulnerable of the cinema, and eventually people will forget the cinema  

It won't (especially when everything else in life is on hold). It'll take a while for things to return to normal but eventually the movie business will come back as strong as it's ever been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It is inevitable. I was going to take break from cinema going anyways this year. 

I guess everyone will do that now, even studio are preparing it, that is why studio give little information about until when the film will be postponed, suggest that they themselves know the effect will be long -lasting. 

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It won't (especially when everything else in life is on hold). It'll take a while for things to return to normal but eventually the movie business will come back as strong as it's ever been.

Haman are forgetful, i hope they come back cinema after the storm is calm and not become a habit for them to stay in house moving forward. 

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I guess everyone will do that now, even studio are preparing it, that is why studio give little information about until when the film will be postponed, suggest that they themselves know the effect will be long -lasting. 

Haman are forgetful, i hope they come back cinema after the storm is calm and not become a habit for them to stay in house moving forward. 

I mean even the streaming services will start feeling the pain as well as people start cutting out the non-essentials to save up as much as they can the longer this goes on unless they dramatically reduce their prices. Having a Netflix account isn't an obligation. That's why they likely won't be premiering any of their buzzier titles for a while.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I'm gonna be real mad if my last theatrical outing was SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.

I love the movies :( the theaters. They're rebuilding our Regal and I hope they go through with it.

The moment theaters are back up and running and Disney go “hey! Anyone want to see their first new MCU movie in a year?” with theatrical the only way to see it.......$$$$$$ 

We might even see cheaper ticket prices to combat what’s going to be an awful time for millions struggling with income. 

We’re miles away from that, but the event movies are there waiting for us.  Right now we’ve all just gotta concentrate on doing the right thing before we can have our distractions back.  Which is ultimately what they are. There’s more important things to focus on in the coming weeks ahead. 

It’s fair to say the outlook on Hollywood spending astronomical sums on so many major movies is precarious. It’ll be changed significantly from what we’ve been used to the last decade or so. 

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It is really evitable, live music concert are still quite popular, vinyl are still popular and maybe more relevant opera-live theater do still very much exist.

Theatrical is a not risk to end this century imo, the only risk is for them to become like live-theater and opera are currently, a more hispter-niche affair (with some Hamilton type going through from time to time instead of all the time like now for movies) and not a mass popular one.

Edited by Barnack

So why will anyone buy a digital copy when its on streaming free in 2 Weeks. Blu Ray may still sell due to physical substance but digital is almost worthless.

Should have directly put on D+

However since Onward will even lose release cost, releasing directly to D+ would have saved release cost.