Eric Duncan

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

https://deadline.com/2020/03/coronavirus-trolls-world-tour-invisible-man-the-hunt-emma-debut-on-demand-in-home-theatrical-window-collapse-1202884570/

In an unprecedented crunch of the theatrical window as several markets across the U.S. close down in response to safety from the coronavirus as well as worldwide, NBCUniversal’s Universal Pictures is officially making their current movies in cinematic release –Blumhouse’s The Invisible Man and The Huntand Focus Features’ Emma– available in homes as early as this Friday for on-demand 48-hour rental at the suggested price of $19.99. This is both for domestic and offshore markets where the titles are in release. Jeff Shell, CEO of NBCUniversal, made the announcement this morning.

In addition, with the outlook of the theatrical marketplace unclear, Universal/Dreamworks Animation’s Trolls World Tourwhich was scheduled to be the first theatrical comeback title down the road in the midst of the coronavirus climate on Easter weekend April 10, will now go day-and-date in homes and on the big-screen. Trolls World Tour doesn’t roll out widely offshore until April 20, and in those markets, the sequel will also be available for VOD rental as well as cinemas.

The intentions here by NBCUni is to make big movies available in the home to the masses as current circumstances have made it more challenging for them to head out and as the nation is poised for a massive shut-in at home. “NBCUniversal will continue to evaluate the environment as conditions evolve and will determine the best distribution strategy in each market when the current unique situation changes,” read a statement this morning.

At this point in time, the theatrical-VOD day and date release policy seen here isn’t one set in stone for future titles beyond Trolls World Tour. Decisions on titles and duration have not been made yet.

:jeb!: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The Hunt is definitely worth $19.99, do it! 

Glad, under the circumstances obviously, that this film has a chance to find an audience. 

$20 price for rental is pretty insane though? I mean movie theaters are also rentals since you only watch once but tickets are like $8 or something. 

• Like 1

Unprecedented. I imagine this is only gonna happen to more movies that weren't gonna fill up auditoriums in any circumstance so that the backlog isn't that big depending on how long this goes on.

Emma. (saw it in theaters before all hell broke loose) is definitely worth watching.

5 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

$20 price for rental is pretty insane though? I mean movie theaters are also rentals since you only watch once but tickets are like $8 or something. 

Not insane. $20 pays for itself if you watch it with multiple people, and tickets can be around $20 in big cities.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

$19.99 per household, not just one person. A group of friends, or a family can watch them for that price. Instead of $10 each; no?

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So are they gonna do this for Never Rarely Sometimes Always and Promising Young Woman too? Also Focus Features films like Emma.

it already says in the article nothing beyond Trolls for now. 

7 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

ATP is over 9 now, so the digital rental costs ~2 movie tickets. Not such an exorbitant ratio considering families, imo.

15 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Yeah very insane and zero chance I will rent any movie for $20

But I get why they are trying this model with what is going on

Edited by 75Live

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Maybe just high profile releases, I’ve no idea what that film is. 

It's a film about a woman trying to get an abortion in another city. Sounds simple but from what I've heard, its probably the most important and best film released this year yet. Seems like the movie was supposed to have a Emma like run. Released in 4 theaters this weekend and I think it was going to 1000 theaters in a few weeks. Sucks that it got destroyed in this mess.

Edited by lorddemaxus