Eric Atreides

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Fuck these theatres. I have zero sympathy with them. Its producer's film, he has the right to chose the way he gonna recover the money.

In India Multiplexes loot audience with high prices for films & ridiculous prices for food. They fuck producer/distributor in term of Share, VPFs, etc.

Fuck them.

I agree!

I say that this is Karma finally catching up to theaters after decades of drastically increasing movie ticket and food prices.

AMC especially deserves this after how they responded to MoviePass.

How does AMC even treat their theater employees? Minimum wage with no benefits no doubt. While the execs and CEOs are making millions and crying crocodile tears like they’re some mom and pop small business.

Their greed, lack of good service and their stubbornness to adapt to today’s technology with a better business model put them in this situation, not Universal.

All AMC cares about is that they keep their power over consumers, but choice and competition is always the best. Let the consumer decide what the future is... If AMC is smart they’ll stop dragging their feet and adapt accordingly.

• Knock It Off 1

24 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

They’ll definitely backtrack on that claim now. 

Not before NATO goes full NATO 😂😂😂

”Earlier today NATO issued a statement regarding Universal Studios’ public comments in the Wall Street Journal regarding that studios’ evaluation of the results of releasing the movie Trolls World Tour directly to the home without a theatrical release, and specifically that Universal would release future movies both theatrically and to the home.

Also today, according to various public press reports, AMC released a letter that company sent to Universal stating AMC’s individual company reaction to Universal’s public statement earlier in the day in the Wall Street Journal. NATO and AMC did not coordinate those statements in any way. Indeed, AMC had no comment on NATO’s draft statement when sent to NATO’s Board of Directors, nor did AMC participate in the Board deliberations regarding that statement. Regarding AMC’s reported letter to Universal, NATO had no involvement with nor knowledge of that letter before reading about it in the press.

Without any knowledge of the facts, or the common courtesy to inquire about those facts, Universal nonetheless made the reckless charge this evening that  the company is “disappointed by this seemingly coordinated attempt from AMC and NATO to confuse our position and our actions.”  Unfortunately Universal has a destructive tendency to both announce decisions affecting their exhibitor partners without actually consulting with those partners, and now of making unfounded accusations without consulting with their partners.”

source: https://deadline.com/2020/04/trolls-world-tour-theater-owners-slam-universal-over-pvod-release-1202920128/

The back and forth shit flinging continues. 

michael jackson popcorn GIF

2 hours ago, JjFit said:

I agree!

I say that this is Karma finally catching up to theaters after decades of drastically increasing movie ticket and food prices.

AMC especially deserves this after how they responded to MoviePass.

How does AMC even treat their theater employees? Minimum wage with no benefits no doubt. While the execs and CEOs are making millions and crying crocodile tears like they’re some mom and pop small business.

Their greed, lack of good service and their stubbornness to adapt to today’s technology with a better business model put them in this situation, not Universal.

All AMC cares about is that they keep their power over consumers, but choice and competition is always the best. Let the consumer decide what the future is... If AMC is smart they’ll stop dragging their feet and adapt accordingly.

Lmfao, Comcast is much worse than AMC in every regard.

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

They’ll definitely backtrack on that claim now. 

Universal backtracked on their claim first so I think it's all good between them now.

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Fuck these theatres. I have zero sympathy with them. Its producer's film, he has the right to chose the way he gonna recover the money.

In India Multiplexes loot audience with high prices for films & ridiculous prices for food. They fuck producer/distributor in term of Share, VPFs, etc.

Fuck them.

Lmao, you cannot compare Indian cinemas to American cinemas. The fact that companies like Disney can easily stronghold them (and according to Cinemex, studios get paid 60% nowadays) is ludicrous.

I feel like some people on this forum don't even want theaters anymore.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lmao, you cannot compare Indian cinemas to American cinemas. The fact that companies like Disney can easily stronghold them (and according to Cinemex, studio get paid 60% nowadays) is ludicrous.

I feel like some people on this forum don't even want theaters anymore.

60% is no way bad. That's rightful only.

Besides, that 60% is media reported only. The Baahubali 2 distributor told that they were given 48% by AMC which they said is higher than most Hollywood films they give. To TFA they gave 49.5% Approx. For other films they are 40-45%.

Cinemark gives South Indian films 55-60% so it's not really a hard asking for 60%.

So if producers can get revenue, where they get 80-100% of the collection, I am all for it.

Amyways, I slip to cinemas worldwide. Prices in West are actually ok. A film ticket cost less than one hour minimum wage or par. In India, it's par/higher than one day minimum wage.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

AMC will change their minds. Remember this “$100m” for Trolls figure comes from... Universal. 

Wasn’t the first day allegedly $30m? What about piracy? How’s it done internationally? 

Warner Bros could claim that Scoob outgrosses it if they fancy. 

If more films are released on VOD in place of in theatres, then I'm just gonna watch fewer movies. It's not even necessarily a principled stand, I'm just too distracted at home. I've got a literal mountain of content that I've only half watched and will never return to, that had I seen in a theatre I would've made it all the way through. For me, it's just an inferior experience.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

Competitor, that assuming any chain will accept this ?

AMC didn't play any Netflix movie before, their competitor (the large chain) didn't made any revenues from them because they also in solidarity has a group didn't play them.

Single theater chain have little power and could not do it, historically they gang up together and achieve to keep the window because they form an united group about it.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JjFit said:

Depend where you live, but if you are Americans, that something that was unlike sport / music ticket quite stable:

atlas_HysNbazMm@2x.png

1*upSJE8Pl5_hY0zpHt-gJxA.png

A 2D regular ticket is cheaper now than in the early 70s in America.

They were cheaper in the 90s to early 2000s but not by that much

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Competitor, that assuming any chain will accept this ?

AMC didn't play any Netflix movie before, their competitor didn't made any revenues.

Single theater chain have little power and could not do it, historically they gang up together and achieve to keep the window because they form an united group about it.

If AMC decide to continue with this, they will roughly lose $100mn of net revenue. Universal got more to lose with media perception of low gross, say even 10% impact (AMC is 22% of Nation, assuming half of that is lost).

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If AMC decide to continue with this, they will roughly lose $100mn of net revenue. Universal got more to lose with media perception of low gross, say even 10% impact (AMC is 22% of Nation, assuming half of that is lost).

That is quite the speculation, how much theater can make in profit from movies that are already released on home video versus figth against it.

AMC will continue only if everyone follow them (like they always did and will probably do), people are right to expect AMC not to do it if they are alone in this, I doubt they would be: https://celluloidjunkie.com/wire/trolls-world-tour-vod-revenues-do-not-indicate-a-shift-in-consumer-movie-viewing-preferences/

I expect they will at least all of them treatem studio's of following AMC.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That is quite the speculation, how much theater can make in profit from movies that are already released on home video versus figth against it.

Naa, what I meant was. Universal gross $1.5-1.9Bn a year, off which AMC is $325-400mn GROSS. AMC make roughly 45% of that as their share i.e. $150-180mn. If they give their screens to other films, they will earn something atleast. So ultimately $100mn loss of Net Revenue.

I missed F&B though.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Universal gross $1.5-1.9Bn a year,

Will it stay at that level if their movies are available from home the same day that in theater ?

The premise that removing the windows would have 0 effect on the box office make it trivial that theater boycott is ridiculous, but that a circular argument.

AMC make more than 45% of that 325-400M in revenue once you consider food&breverage&arcades game playing those patron behind that box office consumed on location like you said.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

AMC make more than 45% of that 325-400M in revenue

Was only talking about Theatrical revenue.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Will it stay at that level if their movies are available from home the same day that in theater

Wait. Is Universal saying they will release films simultaneously at VOD post lockdown. Well then it's obvious they won't be missing AMC alone.

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Wait. Is Universal saying they will release films simultaneously at VOD post lockdown. Well then it's obvious they won't be missing AMC alone.

Now I am curious what do you think this was about ? If you didn't thought it was about a movie studio alleging they would stop to respect the theatrical window in the future ?

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

That we have little idea what they would look like.

Watching the film on big silver screen is always is preferred overriding option

You can't call youself a film buff if you don't even understand the core essence of big screen.

A film buff rejecting theaterical experience is like someone rejecting his/her mother tongue.  

VOD under lockdown period or during pandemic period is understanable.

A film only got to stay in the theater for wide release up to 2 months but they are able to stay online forever, I don't see the need to promote VOD since they will be there permanently 

• Like 2

Endgame enjoyed 14 weeks of exclusive theaterical window, while VOD/Blu-ray have been enjoying exclusive home media release for 9 months and counting.

Titanic had 8 months of exclusive theaterical window for 8 months while VOD have been enjoying such privilege for 22 years.

Parasite had 14 weeks exclusive run in theater and you probably will never be able to see it again in theater for the rest of your life.   

And now you can talk about which side is asking too much

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Titanic had 8 months of exclusive theaterical window for 8 months while VOD have been enjoying such privilege for 22 years.

I am pretty sure Titanic played on free TV and cable in most market.

Edited by Barnack