Eric Atreides

Theatrical to VOD window shortening | 17-31 Day theatrical window for Uni

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'd put my money on the latter at this point but who knows. 

Yeah, I doubt we'll be seeing A Quiet Place 2 on streaming when it was already tracking for a big opening and plus John Krasinski wouldn't be happy in all likelihood. Paramount will probably put The Lovebirds on streaming though. Seems only natural that studios are gonna wanna avoid a pile-up by offloading the non-tentpole titles for the time being.

(also note to STX: now would be the right time to finally put My Spy out of its misery at last)

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

After both NY and LA (the movie states of the country by far) shut down their theaters it was probably only a matter of time until someone did this. Now we'll just have to see if it's the start of a trend or if it ends up being another The Interview where it's only because of the circumstances.

SF region is also done as of tonight. 1AM the shelter at home time for next 3 weeks. 

In my opinion it’s insanity to even think it will do anything to change people going to the movies. 

like all entertainment, people are going to miss communally seeing stuff. Going out. The event of it. 

Mark my words, when we get back to normal (god knows when that’ll be) audiences will flood back to cinemas to resume the things they’ve missed and love. Moviegoing is one of those. 

It’s like saying we’d all only watch live sport on television now we can’t go to the stadiums/arenas. No chance. 

Personally I think the big movies of the year will actually do even better than they would have once they eventually arrive. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

Against theater wishes, this might become the new normal once the crisis passes. Movies hitting streaming within like 6 weeks.

Nah. When the crisis passes things will return to normal. No reason to believe otherwise at this juncture. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Trolls really surprises me. I was expecting Universal to delay it. The move is smart for all the others, tho.

I'm guessing the early tracking numbers before everything was completely upended weren't looking too great to begin with so they must've figured it was better to just release it this way than endure very diminished box office returns like they would've under normal circumstances.

11 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

As much as I would hate for movie theaters to die out, things have not been looking reassuring these past couple of years. 

It’ll be a case of ‘you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone’.  Movie theaters, along with all other entertainment you leave your house to experience is something people take for granted. These next few months will be a sobering reminder to everybody. I see it as only a good thing long run, as awful as this all is. 

people will come back. Just like they will for sports. 

I can only speak for the UK but I can already tell you that when our football returns there’ll probably be mass celebration on the streets all over the nation. 

As for Onward, this is the big question as to what Disney will do. 

Bring it out for expensive rental like Uni? Put it straight out to buy digitally like WB?

Or..... put it on Disney Plus?

Seeing as it’ll be pirated at perfect quality within minutes I personally think they’ll opt for the latter. In these terrible times will they ever have a better opportunity to get a huge uptick in subscribers than this?  
You’re not then limiting how long people can watch it for. It’s the big movie of the moment as it is. People will watch it in droves, families will love it, it’ll drive merch. Just feels like a no-brainer. 

Providing they’ve conceded theaters are going to be closed for months, I think it’s the best of the options they have. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s on Disney+ by the end of this weekend. 

Edited by wildphantom

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Imaging parents showing their kids a pirated version of Onwards. Talk about setting a bad example. 

They would though. $20 for a movie when their neighbour has a 1080p rip of the real thing for them to plug in - it would definitely eat in to whatever kind of revenue they might generate from an expensive rental window. 

Disney+ would feel like a better deal for people and they’re then more likely to keep the service, spending more money in the long term. 

Onward left, what, $120 million domestic on the table? That’s 10-12 million people who would have gone to see it.  If they get a fraction of those signing up to Disney+ who haven’t already, then that can only be the best option in a bad situation surely? 

You know what people are like. They might not have got D+ but go to the movies to see the latest Pixar film. Give them a $20 rental option or $6 to sign up for a service they can cancel at any point...they’ll go for the latter. Then just not cancel. 

45 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

As for Onward, this is the big question as to what Disney will do. 

Bring it out for expensive rental like Uni? Put it straight out to buy digitally like WB?

Or..... put it on Disney Plus?

Seeing as it’ll be pirated at perfect quality within minutes I personally think they’ll opt for the latter. In these terrible times will they ever have a better opportunity to get a huge uptick in subscribers than this?  
You’re not then limiting how long people can watch it for. It’s the big movie of the moment as it is. People will watch it in droves, families will love it, it’ll drive merch. Just feels like a no-brainer. 

Providing they’ve conceded theaters are going to be closed for months, I think it’s the best of the options they have. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s on Disney+ by the end of this weekend. 

They won't put it on Disney+ first cause they still wanna make money off of it. They'll either release it for rental for a pretty penny like Trolls is or they'll do what A24 has done with First Cow by pulling it from release and releasing it again another time.