The Panda

A History in Film - BOT Top 50 Historical Fiction/Narrative Films - Counting Lists Now, Will Still Take A List Today

Qualification Poll  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should Historical Films with slight alternative history deviations be allowed (Ex Once Upon a Time In Hollywood), this is NOT talking about films with historical inaccuracies

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should Fantasy films that serve as Historical Allegories be allowed? (Examples: The Wizard of Oz and Pan’s Labyrinth)

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should older films which cover historical events in their present time be included? (Ex Casablanca)

• Yes
    • No

Just a heads up, I am planning to a run the next edition of “Top 100 Films of All Time”, but we’re going to do it later in the year this time, to give some distance from the Best of the Decade Countdown.  I had an idea for this smaller countdown, and think it fits a specific niche we haven’t really covered on our lists before (despite be prevalence and significance of the genre).

First, what am I meaning by “Historical Fiction”?

- Historical Fiction is a genre in which the historical setting and/or notable characters of the film play a key role in the narrative.  “Fiction” in this case does not mean the film is necessarily based on untrue events, as in many cases they are and involve real figures from the past something like Lincoln would be considered Historical Fiction as an example.

I’d reference the Wikipedia article over the genre if you’re confused: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_fiction

- Historical Fiction =\= Historical Epics, although I’d consider just about every Historical Epic to be Historical Fiction. 

- Anything with a superhero in it is not Historical Fiction

- Films based off of religious stories, ancient epics and mythologies can count as a historical film (even if they contain some supernatural elements).  Think of: The VVitch, The Ten Commandments, Noah, etc. as examples

- Alternative history films with large variations in general will not be allowed (example of this is Man in High Castle, yes not a film, just an example).  I have a question mark on slight variations things like Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood and will put it in the poll

- Just because a movie takes place in the past may not mean it fits the category.  I’ll let people use their judgement, but consider the role that the historical setting plays in the movie when crafting the list.

- I am going to poll on if you guys think Historical Allegory Fantasy films should be allowed (examples are The Wizard of Oz, Devil’s Backbone and Pan’s Labyrinth, which are commentaries on their respective periods in time).

- Major historical inaccuracies do not disqualify a film, but I’d suggest keeping them in mind when making the list.  Remember the theme of the list is “A History Through Film”, and also keep in mind most films are not 100% accurate to history.

- Older films that were made during the historical period they cover can count (example: Casablanca), but try to make sure they cover the criteria in the Wikipedia article

- Let’s set the time period cut off at 2010.  The setting for each film must take place primarily before 2010 to count. Any major event before the Financial Crisis of 2008 and the Election of Barack Obama would more aptly be considered Current Events in my opinion, but feel free to state if you disagree.

- Also note that period pieces may not necessarily fit the bill of being Historical Fiction.  An example here could be Little Women, it is a period piece, set in the past but the setting isn’t really playing off of a historical period, figure or culture, it’s an intimate character piece.  

What are my hopes for this countdown?

- First, for all movies submitted I’m planning to map them on a world history timeline, so we can have a BOT History of Film.  This means, even if your movie doesn’t make the list, it will be included on our timeline.

- I’m hoping when doing the reveals to talk about the significance of the moment or culture in history the film covers.  I’d also like member involvement here, so any history buffs let me know if you’d like to get involved

- I had at one point envisioned doing this countdown as a personal one, and choosing movies for each period.  Since then the project moved to the back burner but I’ve been interested in it ever since, but I figured it’d be more fun to do it as a forum.

- When giving FYCs, consider stating not just the film but how it is good coverage of the period, event, person or culture it takes place in. 

So, when you submit your list of 50 films I’d ask: If there are any films on your list that you’d like to write about for the countdown and give historical insight on, please put a star by it, or state your interest in this thread.  You can also post any additional insights you’d like to share as the countdown goes on.  My hope is this can be a fun, educational and culturally enriching countdown for everyone.

How Voting will be done

1: 12 Points

2: 11 Points

3: 10 Points

4-5: 9 Points

6-10: 8 Points

11-15: 7 Points

16-20: 6 Points

21-25: 5 Points

26-30: 4 Points

31-35: 3 Points

36-40: 2 Points

41-50: 1 Point

There are no point deductions for incomplete lists but all lists must include at least 25 films.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I think of telling the story of a period of time and place, there is one film that I think stands above the rest, and that is Doctor Zhivago. Zhivago does a brilliant job of telling the story of the communist revolution and its effect on various characters. I know it's a long film, but I hope everyone everyone submitting a list gives it a chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few suggestions from myself to consider

9150739LwlL._RI_.jpg

Covers the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression Era, as well as commentating on the idea of the American Dream which was prevalent throughout the Gilded Age that the film follows.

letters_from_iwo_jima_2006_original_film

Covers The Pacific Theater of WW2 from the perspective of the Japanese, can also be coupled with the not as good Flags of Our Fathers

FORTYBYSIXTY105-2.jpg?v-cache=1390493928

Explores the Ottoman Empire during the World War 1 period

51jkA7As5CL._AC_.jpg

Explores the life and hardships of immigrants from Ellis Island in New York during the early 1900s

MV5BMzg2MWQ4MDEtOGZlNi00MTg0LWIwMjQtYWY5

Explores trench warfare during WW1 and the brutalities of it through the German perspective.

51w6Y-RGvpL._AC_.jpg

Explores the French and Indian War and The Colonialist Period in time through the eyes of a dying off Native American Tribe.

The_Big_Short_(2015_film_poster).png

Explores the causes of the 2008 Financial Crisis

glory-movie-poster-1989-1020191708.jpg

A film about the Civil War through the perspective of the first African American regiment

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU30khd1zN0z4Gvb-EEBo

Taking place during the Napoleonic Wars, the film offers a look at Naval Warfare in pre-Industrial period.

51HaI9lmqpL._AC_.jpg

Delves into the Watergate Scandal during the 1970s, offering a look into Nixon’s presidency and the decade it takes place in

The_Lion_in_Winter_(2003_film).jpg

A classic that covers Henry II and the Feudal Period of Europe/England.

grave_poster.jpg

Shows the effects of WW2 and American Firebombings on Japan through the eyes of Japanese Civilians

Asoka_(2001_film).jpg

A historical epic and musical that follows the life of Prince Asoka

1468207-b.jpg

Under the backdrop of 17th Century Japan, offers an exploration of Christian faith in comparison to Japanese Buddhist Philosophy.  

Noah2014Poster.jpg

Covers the Biblical story of Noah, includes a grand creation sequence that follows from The Big Bang and evolution

81fM4PoHnkL._SL1500_.jpg

Covers the Paleolithic Period of History, including the dangers of tribal life and how human knowledge spreads

thumbnail?id=MMVBD1C7D73621E111B5751C687

A comedic look at the transition of power in the Soviet Union after Stalin’s death.

MV5BNDYxNWUzZmYtOGQxMC00MTdkLTkxOTctYzky

Covers Indian life during the British imperial period.

the-last-temptation-of-christ-fan-castin

Covers the life of Jesus Christ, going intimately into the humanity implied by “God became Flesh”.

61+P6wquTiL._AC_.jpg

A comedic look at Israel under Roman Occupation prior to the destruction of the Second Temple.

MV5BODdlYjU1Y2MtMWUxMy00YjJjLTgyMWItNzgz

Covers the Sengoku period of Japanese history and the cultural importance of Samurai in Japanese history.

spartacus-vintage-movie-poster-original-

Covers the Roman Arenas and the life of Spartacus

41nq0AJrcrL._AC_.jpg

Covers New England Colonial folklore

51k6mqQPh2L._AC_.jpg

Covers the Oil Boom in the America’s during the Gilded Age period

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 7

@The Panda w/r/t your first question, we have to allow that, otherwise we basically exclude almost every film possible. In terms the second, OZ seems VERY different to me than LABYRINTH — in the latter, the fantasy is specifically in opposition to and commenting on the historical specifics of the rest of the story, but in the former, it isn’t. (And there’s barely any non-fantasy in OZ to begin with.) So I guess that’s a long-winded way to say LABYRINTH qualifies but OZ doesn’t, IMO. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

@The Panda w/r/t your first question, we have to allow that, otherwise we basically exclude almost every film possible. In terms the second, OZ seems VERY different to me than LABYRINTH — in the latter, the fantasy is specifically in opposition to and commenting on the historical specifics of the rest of the story, but in the former, it isn’t. (And there’s barely any non-fantasy in OZ to begin with.) So I guess that’s a long-winded way to say LABYRINTH qualifies but OZ doesn’t, IMO. 

Yeah, that’s something I realized post making the poll.  Labyrinth and Devil’s Backbone feels like a for sure qualification imo.

By alternative history deviation I was meaning in the Hollywood example, it intentionally deviates from how the Manson Murders actually played out in reality as a fantasy kind of twist.  But I’d agree with allowing it just wanted a consensus here.

Maybe we can exclude Oz but allow Labyrinth/Backbone.  I do think those two should qualify.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Panda said:

Older films that were made during the historical period they cover can count (example: Casablanca), but try to make sure they cover the criteria in the Wikipedia article

These films should not count. They are contemporary films to their production era and are not historical. Anything made about an event, during the pendency of that event, is not a historical film IMO.

• Like 10

Just now, 4815162342 said:

These films should not count. They are contemporary films to their production era and are not historical. Anything made about an event, during the pendency of that event, is not a historical film IMO.

Co-sign

• Like 4

5 hours ago, The Panda said:

A few suggestions from myself to consider

The_Lion_in_Winter_(2003_film).jpg

A classic that covers Henry II and the Feudal Period of Europe/England.

This is very most definitely the wrong version of the story to use.

Instead we must go with

Lion_In_Winter1.jpg

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I’ll add a poll for us to vote on this.  I can see the argument for excluding them, my main thought process for including something like Casablanca is how well it fits the theme and historically influential it was.  But it’s not like we don’t have a plethora of other WW2 films to pick from if we exclude films like Casablanca.

My other question is if we should allow for Zero Dark Thirty.  Originally I was thinking the Big Short was the closest eligible film to being a current event instead of historical (although given its distance from the 2008 crisis, and how that’s primarily seen as a historical event now in 2020, it fits the criteria squarely) but ZDK ends in 2011, although the film covers time throughout the 2000s.

The assassination of Osama Bin Laden is a major historical event and capstone piece of the peaks of the two Middle Eastern, but then again ZDK could also potentially be like Casablanca and to close historically to its material.

Some of my personal favorite historical films would probably be:

lawrence-of-arabia-horizontal.jpg

(explores Ottoman empire during WWI)

ida.jpg

(set in communist occupied Poland during the early 1960s)

suspiria-md-web.jpg

(The German Autumn of 1977 acts as a back-drop to the main story, explores themes of generational guilt in the country during the Cold War)

Roma_theatrical_poster.png

(semi-autobiographical film on the director's upbringing in Colonia Roma in Mexico City during 1970 and 1971; portrays the Corpus Christi Massacre (El Halconazo) that took place on June 10, 1971)

Amadeusmov.jpg

(set in the later half 18th century Vienna, Austria; a fictionalized biography of composers Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Antonio Salieri)

81V+b69u3xL._SY445_.jpg

(set during the 1960s; biography of Frank Abagnale, Jr., a teenager who ran away from home and became a con artist, forging checks and impersonating as a Pan-Am pilot, a doctor, and a prosecutor; later worked with the FBI to catch other check forgers)

51QXBFP777L._QL70_ML2_.jpg

(depicts the growth of organized crime in the Ciudad de Deus suburb of Rio de Janeiro, spanning from the late 1960s to the early 1980s)

The_Wolf_of_Wall_Street_(2013).png

(set during the late 1980s to mid 1990s; biography of Jordan Belfort; depiction of the rise and fall of the Stratton Oakmont brokerage firm; examination of corruption in Wall Street and corporate banking world)

220px-The_Social_Network_film_poster.png

(portrays founding of the social media giant, Facebook; also deals with the lawsuits Zuckerberg faced years afterward)

Saving_Private_Ryan_poster.jpg

(set during the invasion of Normandy in WWII, opening 30 minutes depicts the Omaha Beach assault during the landings)

Schindler's_List_movie.jpg

(exploration of German-occupied Poland during WWII; biography of German business-man Oskar Schindler who saved the lives of over 1,000 Jewish refugees)

MV5BY2NkZjEzMDgtN2RjYy00YzM1LWI4ZmQtMjIw

(spanning from the 1950s to 1980s; exploration of Henry Hill's life as a gangster and his association of The Vario Crew of the Lucchese crime family)

• Like 4

On 3/27/2020 at 8:28 AM, The Panda said:

Just a heads up, I am planning to a run the next edition of “Top 100 Films of All Time”

Making a top 100 of all time list is gonna be a headache for me. Everything outside of my top 6 is really hard to rank.

Also a bunch of historical films I'll be watching for this list: Paper Moon (watching this tonight), The Last Picture Show, Nixon, Come and See, Ran, Henry V (Brannagh version), Amadeus, Hero, The Draughtsman’s Contract, All the President's Men, Kundun

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 7:28 AM, The Panda said:

- Anything with a superhero in it is not Historical Fiction

Wonder Woman is historical fiction. or at least falls into the Alternate history sub-genre. 

are superhero movies being disqualified because they have fantasy elemnts? 

Some FYCs:

Born_On_The_4th_Of_July.jpg

Life of Ron Kovic

Marie_Antoinette_(2006_film).png

Unique take on Marie Antionette's reign as queen

MMVC255D1E43252DE671981E3D09A5EAC7C0.jpe

The Battle of Hattin during the 12th century Crusades (do not ever watch the theaterical cut)

United 93 (film) - Wikipedia

About the 9/11 attacks, more specifically focused on United Flight 93

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Wikipedia

Basically the title, set during the late 19th century

The_Age_Of_Innocence.jpg

A heartbreaking romance about 19th century upper class society. Not sure if it fits here but I think its time period is really important to the movie's commentary.

The_Wind_That_Shakes_the_Barley_poster.j

Set during the Irish War of Independence and also looks at its aftermath.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Wonder Woman is historical fiction. or at least falls into the Alternate history sub-genre. 

Read Panda's post:

- Alternative history films with large variations in general will not be allowed (example of this is Man in High Castle, yes not a film, just an example).  I have a question mark on slight variations things like Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood and will put it in the poll

I would say demi-gods fighting in WW 1 is a pretty big variation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

A movie in which a comic book version of Hades is causing WW1 and is stopped by super powered woman from a magical tribe is not historical fiction.

If you’re wondering why Pan’s Labyrinth will be allowed (I we’ll choose to allow it and not Wizard of Oz), it’s because the fantasy elements are implied as imaginary and are commentary on the real Spanish Civil War going on in the backdrop

A film with supernatural elements can be allowed under certain conditions (mostly that the supernatural elements are light and/or attached to the historical myth/culture/religion that the film explores).  Ie. Something like Noah, The VVitch, can also be allowed because they explore major folklore and traditions of two prevalent historical cultures that have had major influences in history.

The only way for a superhero film to really fit this category would be something like Professor Marston and the Wonder Women.  It needs to be set in the past from when the film is made (per the poll), the super natural elements should be directly exploring cultural ideas if they’re present.  This doesn’t really apply to Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, the New X-Men Movies or The First Avenger.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1