Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

ET1dKVdUYAAWg3i.jpg

It begins! Apologies to those in whom I may have created false expectations by claiming the scoring process would take me "a few days," I myself have learned the hard way that this was... unrealistic. But the results are here, and hopefully you will find them worth your time. Some relevant stats, trivia and observations:

• 49 lists were submitted and calculated
  • 830 different films received points
  • No film appeared on 75% of the lists
  • My hope for the tiered scoring system I worked out for this countdown was that it would keep people's favorites in their individual lists close enough together without leading to the final list having, say, eight movies with the same score, and depending on one's POV, it ended up working either perfectly or a little too well: there are few ties but a whole lot of freakishly close calls that could have gone differently had one more list been submitted, or even had one of you felt like putting something at, say, #18 as opposed to #19. It made a lot of outcomes during scoring unpredictable until the very end, a feeling that I think will translate to the reveal process as well.
  • When films did tie in points, ties were broken based on the number of lists they appeared in, with films that received broader support ranking higher. When films tied in both points and lists, I chose to keep them tied (note that this is mostly only relevant to films outside the top 100), but I'll provide info re: #1 placements, top 5 placements and top 10 placements for context.

With that said... let's get this show on the road.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 20

First, here are the 10 runner-ups, already including two Best Picture winners and some passionate favorites that ended up a hair away from the final 100.

Number 110

Spoiler

american-honey-7289.jpg

119 points, 7 lists

directed by Andrea Arnold | UK, US | 2016

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 12 Placements: 3

Number 109

Spoiler

thewitch_online_teaser_01_web_large.jpg

119 points, 9 lists

directed by Robert Eggers | US, Canada | 2015

Top 12 Placements: 1

Number 108

Spoiler

61orPuk6c+L._AC_SL1172_.jpg

119 points, 12 lists

directed by Alex Garland | UK, US | 2018

Top 12 Placements: 3

Number 106 (tie)

Spoiler

91rYVUCEopL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

121 points, 10 lists

directed by Bryan Singer | US, UK | 2014

Number 106 (tie)

Spoiler

81evGEVJftL._AC_SY679_.jpg

121 points, 10 votes

directed by Jon M. Chu | US | 2018

Number 105

Spoiler

81JcPPs0vpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

123 points, 12 lists

directed by Christopher McQuarrie | US | 2015

Number 104

Spoiler

locke-poster1.jpg

124 points, 10 lists

directed by Steven Knight | UK, US | 2013

Number 103

Spoiler

1630286-475960.jpg

126 points, 13 lists

directed by Ben Affleck | US | 2012

Number 102

Spoiler

MV5BYWFiMTIyMjEtY2M4ZC00NDlkLWFiMWUtMDdh

128 points, 7 lists

directed by Kenneth Lonergan | US | 2011

#1 Placements: 2

The only film to receive two #1 votes (including one from yours truly) and still miss the top 100, which I guess reflects its post-botched-release standing as passionately beloved in limited circles but perpetually struggling for the audience it deserves. Still, I know for a fact that my incessant namedropping of it has led at least a couple of people to give it a shot, and that alone makes me happy.

Number 101

Spoiler

MV5BMjIyOTM5OTIzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDkz

128 points, 18 lists

directed by Tom McCarthy | US | 2015

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 19
  • Sad 6

Number 100

Spoiler

970882.jpg

"You have to fight in a way that people will remember you."

130 points, 5 lists

directed by Nitesh Tiwari | India | 2016

The Pitch: an amateur wrestler trains his daughters to become India's first world-class female wrestlers.

Top 5 Placements: 2

Top 12 Placements: 2

Metacritic: N/A / RT: 88%

Box Office: $303m WW

Awards: 4 Filmfare awards including Best Film and Best Director

Critic Opinion: "The film’s direction and writing is so riveting that it coaxes it’s viewer to stand up and applaud. Great editing and filmmaking technique aside, Dangal features wrestling matches that are authentic and real." - Rachit Gupta, Filmfare

"Wherever “Dangal” goes — a highlight reel might include the older daughter rising from mud wrestling to pro, getting a new coach and beating up her jealous father, who later trains her by couriered video after being barred from the sports academy — it goes there in the maximalist Bollywood style, with emotions set to full blast and its heart firmly on its sleeve [...] the uplift feels earned, or at least tough to resist." - Ben Kenigsberg, The New York Times

BOT Sez: "Just clarifying,Dangal is good film . Definitely a 7/10 but not as high as it is regarded." - @charlie Jatinder (Look, this is the only non-box-office related comment I could find.)

It may not be (the more comparatively hyped around these parts, it seems) Baahubali 2: The Conclusion, but Indian cinema did get one in, a 2016 sports/family drama that became a commercial smash both in its home country and overseas, grossing $12m in the United States and over $200m in China and becoming the first Indian film to cross $300m worldwide. The average score of 26 points it received here (equating to an average placement at #8 or #9) is easily the highest in the top 100, and ties for the highest among all films that received more than a single vote with 2018's Andhadhun (guess the country of origin), which collected 78 points from 3 lists.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 5
  • ...wtf 1

Number 99

Spoiler

73d616587b66b49084e397f84806cdb1.jpg

"Would it help?"

131 points, 13 lists

directed by Steven Spielberg | US, Germany | 2015

The Pitch: At the height of the Cold War, an American lawyer negotiates the release of an Air Force pilot shot down over the Soviet Union in exchange for Rudolf Abel, a convicted KGB spy held in the United States.

Metacritic: 81

Box Office: $165m WW

Awards: 6 Oscar nominations; Oscar and BAFTA for Best Supporting Actor
BOT History: #13, Top 25 Movies of 2015; 5 BOFFY nominations

Critic Opinion: "Textured with ink-blot shadows, ripples of snow and rain, and pinpricks of bright primary color—a neon sign seeping red into a puddle, a bar humming blue—it’s one of the most handsome movies of Spielberg’s latter-day phase, and possibly the most eloquent. Inspired by the real-life exploits of attorney-turned-international-negotiator James B. Donovan, Bridge Of Spies turns a secret prisoner exchange between the CIA and the KGB into a tense and often disarmingly funny cat-and-mouse game, in which an insurance lawyer with a bad cold finds himself having to outwit both sides in the name of a democratic value." - Ignatiy Vishnevetsky, The A.V. Club

BOT Sez: "The most surprising factor, however, is how well Spielberg's more sweepingly cinematic style gels with the script that was co-written by the decidedly less sentimental Coen Brothers; even though some moments feel distinctly Spielbergian, it utilizes the script's slyly witty and playful edge perfectly, and all without sacrificing the levels of tension and intrigue inherent in the segment set in East Germany. The history at hand is fascinating, and all parties involved make it feel remarkably immediate from start to finish." - @Webslinger

Commentary: Steven Spielberg secured himself a spot on the list with one of his best-liked late-career efforts, a classicist blend of thrills and dry humor that showcased both the director and his star Tom Hanks in confident-pro mode and served as the mainstream's belated introduction to Mark Rylance, whose expertly minimalist performance won him an Oscar and made him a screen mainstay. 

anglo_1600x720_markrylance_bridgeofspies

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 18
  • Sad 1

Number 98

Spoiler

BkmwLsfV9GxWnve6Q-gCvFgMK7q2l_ePxI88AmjZ

"Come round, o distant time."

133 points, 9 lists

directed by Isao Takahata | Japan | 2013

The Pitch: Found inside a shining stalk of bamboo by an old bamboo cutter and his wife, a little girl grows rapidly into a beautiful princess, but ultimately must confront her past.

Top 12 Placements: 2

Metacritic: 89

Box Office: $27m WW

Awards: Oscar nomination for Best Animated Film

Critic Opinion: "Notwithstanding the fairytale set-up, this is not exactly a children’s film. ‘Kaguya’ demands patience and open-mindedness. In return, it offers an achingly nostalgic meditation on what it means to love, age and depart from this world with dignity. A fitting farewell." - Alex Dudok de Wit, Time Out London

BOT Sez: "A beautiful moving film about what it means to be truly alive while also giving insights into feminism, poverty and class that all serve the characters and story and fit into the era and place.  It charmed me, made me cry, made me laugh, and at times it awed me. One of the finest films to ever come out of Ghibli." - @TalismanRing

Commentary: Our first animated film is the hand-drawn fantasy drama that served as the last hurrah of Studio Ghibli's co-founder and Grave of the Fireflies director Isao Takahata. Based on a 10th century Japanese folk tale, it received universal praise for its uniquely gorgeous visual style, even as its narrative proved a little more divisive. 

vlcsnap-2015-02-22-12h45m16s21.png

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 3

Really thought Bridge would have been higher. I would have had it in my top 50 for sure. Guess that's why I should have submitted a list :lol: 

Anyways, really interesting so far! Looking forward to the rest of the list

• Like 2
  • Haha 1