BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

57 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 37

Hide contents

fUXzGkf.jpg

"Hey, Mom, did you feel emotional the first time that you drove in Sacramento?"
261 points, 24 lists

directed by Greta Gerwig | US | 2017

The Pitch: A teenage girl goes through her senior year of high school in early 2000s Sacramento, California.

#1 Placements: 1
Top 12 Placements: 1
Metacritic: 94
Box Office: $79m WW
Awards: 5 Academy Award nominations
BOT History: #8, Top Movies of 2017; BOFFY awards for Best Actress and Supporting Actress

Critic Opinion: "Gerwig doesn’t trap her protagonist in the oblivious underage bubble that most coming-of-age dramedies inhabit; Lady Bird’s parents, played by Tracy Letts and Laurie Metcalf, are fully formed humans with their own deep flaws and vulnerabilities." - Leah Greenblatt, Entertainment Weekly
BOT Sez: “I loved the theme of yearning for escape that's present in the film, and how each event in Christine's life almost feels like it's stockpiling, until she finally escapes (or literally 'flies away' in a plane) and realizing how much of the youthful entrapment was built up inside her own mind.  It's one of the more honest coming of age films I've seen, and you can tell a lot of that is Gerwig's heart and memory toward her own youth.  With its setting in 2002-2003, and the fact Gerwig grew up in Sacramento, you can tell it's a fictional telling of her own story (which is what makes it so great).” - @The Panda
"'Did you get emotional  the first time you drove through Sacramento?' should be a line that goes down in cinema history” - @Ethan Hunt
"Going in mostly blind, and walking out, I now know why Ethan and the teenagers specifically are nutting over this movie." - @MrPink

Commentary: Our second female-directed 2017 film of the day is Greta Gerwig's debut as a solo writer and director. A semi-autobiographical coming-of-age dramedy that served up 90 minutes' worth of sharp observation and character detail, it established Gerwig immediately as a filmmaker to reckon with, gave Saoirse Ronan and veteran character actress Laurie Metcalf a showcase each, and found in a certain teenage BOT member someone to call it his favorite movie of the 2010s.

Lady-Bird.jpg

I'M SOBBING 

A miracle of  movie that is perfect on every level. It is feels so low-key and fun just like a chill hangout movie. But at the same time it hits so many relatable and monumentally emotional . But it's so well balanced and is able to hit with every bitter sweet emotion at the same time. 

Lady Bird is drug of choice 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Cap said:

We’re not done yet. There are at least three more coming. Plus whatever you call the dark knight rises. 

ETA: lmfao. I did not expect that to be out of the top 10. Are the Nolanites slipping?!

At the expense of Nolan I decided to refocus my efforts on Uncle Drew. I think enough people hold Nolan’s 🥜 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

At the expense of Nolan I decided to refocus my efforts on Uncle Drew. I think enough people hold Nolan’s 🥜 

This is usually me when prioritizing films I love via prioritizing films I love I think you snobs love too. 😂😘

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Nolan walks in da club when there are only 35 spots remaining, because it's not like he was gonna first show up in the bottom half like some fuckin' loser.

when His time has come

giphy.gif

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'll do what I can

Number 35

Hide contents

c2IAgpi.jpg

"Death... by exile!"
270 points, 21 lists

directed by Christopher Nolan | US, UK | 2012

The Pitch: How did Bruce get back to Gotham?

Top 5 Placements: 2
Top 12 Placements: 3
Metacritic: 78
Box Office: $1.084 billion WW
Awards: Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actress (Anne Hathaway); MTV Movie Award nomination for Best Shirtless Performance (Christian Bale)
BOT History: #1, Top Movies of 2012; #1, Top Movies of 2012 Revisited (2017); #88, Top 100 Best Movies of the Century (2015); #20, Top Comic Book Movies of All Time (2019); 5 BOFFY nominations
Critic Opinion: "The Dark Knight Rises may be a hammy, portentous affair but Nolan directs it with aplomb. He takes these cod-heroic, costumed elements and whisks them into a tale of heavy-metal fury, full of pain and toil, surging uphill, across the flyovers, in search of a climax." - Xan Brooks, The Guardian
BOT Sez: “The Dark Knight Rises is often times quite moving and thrilling, just managing to stick the landing, but it doesn’t appear to have done it with ease. Nolan makes the mistake of biting off more than he can chew with so many storylines to weave together, and the result is a less tightly written film than The Dark Knight or even Batman Begins. The set up is huge, as it brings in elements from both of the previous films, including the aftermath of Harvey Dent’s and Rachel Dawes’ deaths, while incorporating a lot of storylines from the first which I’ve chosen not to reveal for the sake of spoilers. Despite being 2 hours and 40 minutes long, one could argue the movie actually could have been longer, allowing many of the dramatic moments to settle in and breathe, and adding to the gravity of how serious and dire the situation gets in Gotham City, which make no mistake, becomes worse than ever despite the events of the first two. The movie zips at a furious pace that means you will never be bored, but it results in a film where you feel like Nolan isn’t quite in control, a bizarre feeling considering how calculating his films can be.

But, there’s a lot to be said in how the film ties the overall trilogy as a whole. As a complete character arc, Bruce is giving a finale that he deserves, and it certainly helps that Christian Bale delivers a terrific performance as Bruce Wayne, which shocked me, considering how apathetic he seemed in The Dark Knight. But somehow, he regained his spark and delivers an unbelievable amount of charm to the character. [...] Fuck you Jake” - @MrPink
Commentary: Nolan walks in da club when there are only 35 spots remaining, because it's not like he was gonna first show up in the bottom half like some fuckin' loser. Four years after giving the world an unforgettable comic book blockbuster in The Dark Knight, he went all out with its longer, more sprawling, more bombastic sequel, which outgrossed its predecessor in the worldwide box office and left his loyal fans with just enough thrills (and memes) to still carry a lasting impact in the year of our Lord 2020.

MV5BYmQwZDBjNzAtYTEwNS00ZjVjLWJmZmUtYzVi

I didn't say to get the Nolan one out of the way first! 😮

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 40

Hide contents

MyoYfBX.jpg

"The saviour who came to tear my life apart. My Tamako. My Sookee."
249 points, 13 lists

directed by Park Chan-wook | South Korea | 2016

The Pitch: In Japan-occupied 1930s Korea, a Korean woman is hired as a handmaiden to a Japanese heiress, while being involved in a plot to defraud her.

Top 5 Placements: 2
Top 12 Placements: 1
Metacritic: 84
Box Office: 38m WW
Awards: BAFTA Award for Best Foreign Film
BOT History: BOFFY nomination for Best Foreign Film
Critic Opinion: "Without sacrificing his taste for psychosexual perversity or his flair for violent grace notes, Park has given us a teasingly witty and elegant puzzle-box of a thriller whose pleasures are rooted not in visceral shock but in narrative surprise, and which wisely opts to seduce rather than pulverize its audience." - Justin Chang, Los Angeles Times

"Park Chan-wook’s The Handmaiden is a fiendishly clever, sinfully funny con-job melodrama, the kind that keeps yanking the rug out from under everyone on screen and off. If that’s all the film was, it would still be a must-see, at least for those who don’t mind a little graphic violence and kinky sex to go with their misdirection. But for all its twists, turns, and betrayals, the most shocking thing about the film is that it’s also, quite possibly and quite improbably, the year’s most genuinely romantic movie." - A.A. Dowd, The AV Club
BOT Sez: “When they ended part one, it surprised me as it had already given me everything I was expecting to see and so the twists and the reveals of the next two thirds were great bonuses. The big thing that makes the great Korean directors so damn great to watch is that when you have essentially a Hollywood film upbringing, everything shocks you as scenes that aren't supposed to happen in a film actually happen and reveals are not telegraphed from a mile away. [...] With this, you are given a film that again highlights how damn good Korean cinema can be when studios are shoehorning the latest KPop star in to be the lead and pissing all over what made 2002-2010 so damn excellent.” - @chasmmi
Commentary: Our next-to-last non-English language film, hailing from the same country as the remaining one. Director Park Chan-wook's sumptuous, entertaining adaptation of Sarah Waters' novel Fingersmith, with the setting changed from the original's Victorian era, became his biggest success since Oldboy upon its 2016 release, and its many charms did not escape members of BOT, particularly our favorite lecherous old uncle with the Peter O'Toole avatar. 

the-handmaiden-desktop-wallpaper.jpg?w=2

happy betty boop GIF by OctoNation

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So I guess another one will be Logan, Spider Verse and Endgame. Did we cleared Days of Future Past

DOFP just missed the top 100. I think The Winter Soldier will show up too seeing that Civil War and Ragnarok made it onto the list. 

• Like 1

Number 33 (tie)

Spoiler

tG8zhHm.jpg

"Our hearts, and our bodies, are given to us only once."
274 points, 15 lists

directed by Luca Guadagnino | Italy, US, France, Brazil | 2017

The Pitch: In 1983 Italy, a teenage son of an academic has an affair with an older man working as his father's assistant. 

Top 5 Placements: 3
Top 12 Placements: 4
Metacritic: 93
Box Office: $42m WW
Awards: Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay, out of 4 nominations
BOT History: #13, Top Movies of 2017; BOFFY awards for Best Actor and Adapted Screenplay
Critic Opinion: “...flags a bit in the second half but is mostly miraculous – a tonic, a dream, brimming with life force and joie de vivre. Call Me By Your Name differs from most cinematic love stories: it’s not about obsession so much as experience – an experience that becomes part of life, part of everything else (that’s to say, part of history). Director Luca Guadagnino gives the film a scurrying physical energy, underlined by a jazzy piano score; people are forever walking, swimming, biking, dancing, eating, shifting from A to B out of sheer exuberance. Elio does become obsessed but it’s one of many obsessions, part of a free-floating something – and even in the final act, when Oliver takes over his life, the affair has a clear expiration date. The film does something quite unique, evoking the prodigious hunger for life of a young man (or a youthful spirit) – and making its romance a part of that, rather than vice versa. [...] None of this really expresses what makes the movie so special – which is partly the sense of a gilded, half-remembered past, partly the sense of a cultured, cosmopolitan family, partly a strong sense of Nature (birdsong, the buzz of crickets, a moonlit tree against the inky black of night), partly a sense of yearning, above all 20-year-old, New York-born actor Timothée Chalamet who imbues every second of his performance with inner life.” - Theo Panayides, Cyprus Mail
BOT Sez: “These are extremely well-written and realistic parts, and they are brought to life by a pair of men who are fully up to the task and share sensational chemistry with each other. Timothee Chalamet is every bit the revelation he's been made out to be and more; dare I say I don't think I've ever seen a better performance from an under 25 male actor. It's a true star-is-born moment that announces a talent beyond his years. Armie Hammer is similarly excellent, finally building on the promise he showed in The Social Network several years ago in showing that a strong actor lies beneath his Ken doll good looks. While the movie rests entirely on the backs of these two, there's also a great turn in the background from the always-reliable Michael Stuhlbarg, who plays the loving father that we all wish we had. Superb technical work as well. It's definitely a movie that will be staying with me for a very long time.” - @filmlover
Commentary: The one that unleashed Timothée on the world. The romantic drama as a supremely confident, life-loving hangout movie, it brought Luca Guadagnino's sensualist approach together with James Ivory's intelligent, disciplined screenplay, resulting in one of the most praised films of its year and the decade; in spite of Sony Pictures Classics seemingly doing everything in its power to bungle the film's awards-season box office run, it wasn't long before it found an audience that surrendered to it.

4QxbypR.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 33 (tie)

Reveal hidden contents

I bet it tied with Endgame

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Number 33 (tie)

Spoiler

x0wJNwu.gif

"Hold my nuts."

274 points, 15 lists

directed by (honestly dunno tbh) | US | 2018

The Pitch: Kyrie Irving is an old man who needs his nuts to be held.

Metacritic: 57

Box Office: $46.7m WW

Awards: Shortlisted for Best Comedy Movie of 2018 by the People's Choice Awards.

BOT History: Some of the questions on Week 10 of the 2018 Summer Game were based around Uncle Drew.

Critic Opinion: " Basketball players pretend to be old people for 2 hours. Aside from a few quips, that's the whole joke. Oh, and plenty of product placements. " - Matthew Lee, HeyUGuys

BOT Sez: "There's nothing redeeming about this movie.  It's rarely funny, horribly scripted and if what you came to see is some awesome basketball being played, even that is directed with such pedestrian flair, that it took me out of the movie. I liked nothing about this." - @baumer

"Hold my nuts." - @MrPink

Commentary: The one that unleashed these nuts on the world. Appearing on the list for a second time, against all the odds, is, once again, Uncle Drew. The re-occurrence of this film, both on this list and on the lists of the submitters, is a testament to the extremely high regard in which the nuts of this film are held. It brought Kyrie Irving's sensualist approach to basketball together with whoever wrote it's intelligent, disciplined screenplay, resulting in one of the most praised films of its year and the decade; in spite of whoever distributed it seemingly doing everything in its power to bungle the film's end of summer box office run, it wasn't long before it found an audience that surrendered to it.

iYTRzRG.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Knock It Off 3

Just now, aabattery said:

Number 33 (tie)

Reveal hidden contents

NCOlvwi.gif

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1