Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

40 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

DOFP just missed the top 100. I think The Winter Soldier will show up too seeing that Civil War and Ragnarok made it onto the list. 

share discover GIF

50 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So I guess another one will be Logan, Spider Verse and Endgame. Did we cleared Days of Future Past

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Number 33 (tie)

Reveal hidden contents

God is real 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

25 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I bet it tied with Endgame

How much would you have bet?

Number 33 (tie)

Spoiler

DP2eXZset5I-5WU8U_fggQnNfNjRviDJhvQR-Bw6

"I hope families are reunited, I hope we get it back and something like a normal version of the planet has been restored, if there ever was such a thing."
274 points, 15 lists

directed by Anthony & Joe Russo | US | 2019

The Pitch: We're in the endgame now.

#1 Placements: 3
Top 5 Placements: 2
Top 12 Placements: 1
Metacritic: 78
Box Office: $2.798 billion WW
Awards: 6 Saturn Awards
BOT History: #4, Top Movies of 2019
Critic Opinion: “Endgame is a monument to adequacy, a fitting capstone to an enterprise that figured out how to be good enough for enough people enough of the time. Not that it's really over, of course: Disney and Marvel are still working out new wrinkles in the time-money continuum. But the Russos do provide the sense of an ending, a chance to appreciate what has been done before the timelines reset and we all get back to work.” - A.O. Scott, The New York Times
BOT Sez: “Avengers: Endgame was a thrilling ride and a good conclusion to the Infinity Saga. Trying to fit the conclusions to several key characters in the universe is no easy task, and for the most part Endgame achieves this well. The first two acts of the film serve as a prelude to the third; with most of the narrative being revisiting past locations and/or characters that they had a deep connection with. This at times made the film feel slow, but was often not noticed due to the good dialogue, humour and most importantly the recurring references they made to prior films in the Marvel cinematic universe.” - @BlueCore
“The perfect blockbuster.” - @CJohn
Commentary: That time Marvel made $2.8 billion by extending the third act of a typical blockbuster into a 3-hour monument to the success of Marvel. We may not see its likes again for a long time. Perhaps not until Avengers 10.

e6d6b66c-0d1a-4940-a9e2-82fd77d477ae-end

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 3
  • ...wtf 2

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

How much would you have bet?

Number 33 (tie)

Hide contents

DP2eXZset5I-5WU8U_fggQnNfNjRviDJhvQR-Bw6

"I hope families are reunited, I hope we get it back and something like a normal version of the planet has been restored, if there ever was such a thing."
274 points, 15 lists

directed by Anthony & Joe Russo | US | 2019

The Pitch: We're in the endgame now.

#1 Placements: 3
Top 12 Placements: 1
Metacritic: 78
Box Office: $2.798 billion WW
Awards: 6 Saturn Awards
BOT History: #4, Top Movies of 2019
Critic Opinion: “Endgame is a monument to adequacy, a fitting capstone to an enterprise that figured out how to be good enough for enough people enough of the time. Not that it's really over, of course: Disney and Marvel are still working out new wrinkles in the time-money continuum. But the Russos do provide the sense of an ending, a chance to appreciate what has been done before the timelines reset and we all get back to work.” - A.O. Scott, The New York Times
BOT Sez: “Avengers: Endgame was a thrilling ride and a good conclusion to the Infinity Saga. Trying to fit the conclusions to several key characters in the universe is no easy task, and for the most part Endgame achieves this well. The first two acts of the film serve as a prelude to the third; with most of the narrative being revisiting past locations and/or characters that they had a deep connection with. This at times made the film feel slow, but was often not noticed due to the good dialogue, humour and most importantly the recurring references they made to prior films in the Marvel cinematic universe.” - @BlueCore
“The perfect blockbuster.” - @CJohn
Commentary: That time Marvel made $2.8 billion by extending the third act of a typical blockbuster into a 3-hour monument to the success of Marvel. We may not see its likes again for a long time. Perhaps not until Avengers 10.

e6d6b66c-0d1a-4940-a9e2-82fd77d477ae-end

I bet the next one is TWS 

Let’s see if the magic strikes twice.  Get all of the MCU funnybooks out of the top 30!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Don’t forget, there’s another special Rian Johnson movie that has still yet to make its appearance :ph34r:

It was the only one I had one my list :ph34r:

• Astonished 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

TLJ no doubt is my favourite Star Wars film but it doesn't matter now if they are placed over A:IW.

Forget it, Charlie. It’s BOT

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Number 32

Spoiler

QFImlUm.jpg

"Chewie... we're home."
274 points, 20 lists

directed by J.J. Abrams | US | 2015

The Pitch: A New Hope (DJ Abrams mix) 

#1 Placements: 1
Top 12 Placements: 2
Metacritic: 80
Box Office: $2.068 billion WW
Awards: 5 Academy Award nominations; 8 Saturn Awards
BOT History: #2, top movies of 2015; 6 BOFFY Awards, out of 15 nominations
Critic Opinion: "The Force Awakens strikes all the right chords, emotional and narrative, to feel both familiar and exhilaratingly new. Filled with incident, movement and speed, dusted with light layers of tarnished “used future” grime, it captures the kinetic energy that made the first film, from 1977, such a revelation to filmgoers who marveled at Lucas’s mashup of B movies, Saturday-morning serials, Japanese historical epics and mythic heft." - Ann Hornaday, The Washington Post

"The film ultimately runs up against the limitations of its own nature.... But it’s still an exhilarating ride, filled with archetypal characters with plausible psychologies, melodramatic confrontations fueled by soaring emotions, and performances that can be described as good, period, rather than "good, for 'Star Wars.'" - Matt Zoller Seitz, RogerEbert.com

"The Force Awakens belongs to a corporation. It is a product meant to make good on an investment. Disney purchased a property from Lucas, and made a movie related to that property in order to start recouping its outlay. The best way to recoup that outlay was to very carefully and deliberately court and flatter a fan base that has kept the Star Wars brand popular for 38 years and counting; to guarantee that no floppy-eared CGI alien minstrel show will embarrass and shame everyone in sight, that there will be no bogged-down weirdness about midi-chlorians or intergalactic trade agreements, no thespians in bathrobes barely tolerating pantomiming swordplay in front of a green screen (disregarding the fact that those missteps still led to a half-billion box office haul in 1999); to make certain that this new thing is nothing but a sure thing; to make this corporate product at least seem like a public trust—counteracting Lucas’s failure to understand that this is what his creation had evolved into, in effect if not in actuality. There’s no WTF in The Force Awakens because WTF can’t be afforded. It’s smart business, but it’s not an idea—quite the opposite, actually. First comes economics, and then you hired some artists, and then, maybe, you make some art. Any ideas or inspirations come further down the line, in whatever any of the participants might bring to certain aspects of the enterprise. None of this need invalidate what the film winds up being, but it does inform, and to a large degree define it." - Eric Hynes, Reverse Shot
BOT Sez: “I thought it was terrific. Not too much of a stretch as a comparison, but since nobody has made it, I'll make it- this reminded me alot of Creed. It's great in a very similar way for very similar reasons. It's part reboot, part remake, part sequel, but it takes the structure and strength of the original and fills it in with excellent characters, inventive setpieces, and strong emotional beats. It's not a perfect movie- it feels far too breathless at times, and I would have liked a few minutes to flesh these characters out. Also, as terrific an actress Nyongo is, I thought her character and the entire scene in the bar felt hokey, rushed, and silly. But JJ knows what makes this franchise great, and he takes this universe as his sandbox to fill with inventive, propulsive fun and emotional moments. It's spectacularly shot and has real weight to it in terms of design. But where this movie really succeeds is the new cast and the new characters.” - @Cmasterclay
Commentary: A long time ago, they brought Star Wars back. A lot of people really liked it.

force-awakens-1.jpg

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 13
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 2