Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

For the write up of Wonder Woman, you should have mentioned it was the film that caused Giantcalbears to melt down, make fun of my profession, eventually apologize, donate $200 of the $1000 he promised if he lost the bet we made and then disappear never to be seen from again.

Good times.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

I forget what it was exactly, but there was a dead-serious moment in Hacksaw Ridge that my opening night audience straight-up laughed at. I think there's ultimately more than enough impressive material on display to compensate for some of the narmy features (and so did that audience, which applauded at the end), but yeah, there's definitely some goofy stuff present. I also pretend that Andrew Garfield's Oscar nomination that year was actually for Silence.

Looking forward to seeing 2010 crash this party in style in just a little bit.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

The first half feels so weirdly, strangely schmaltzy, but I never thought his performance contributed to that; I don't think he deserved the nomination for Ridge over Silence, but I thought his Doss was still solid all around. Never felt hammy to me, personally.

well in general he's a super... emotive actor. even in the performances i love like 99 Homes, Silence, Under the Silver Lake he feels like he's on the verge of being too much but he stays on the right side of the ham line. just for me in hacksaw he goes running past that line with vince vaughn on his back.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

For the write up of Wonder Woman, you should have mentioned it was the film that caused Giantcalbears to melt down, make fun of my profession, eventually apologize, donate $200 of the $1000 he promised if he lost the bet we made and then disappear never to be seen from again.

Good times.  :)

Sadly some parts of the storied BOT lore have escaped my memory over the years

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

How much would you have bet?

Number 33 (tie)

Hide contents

DP2eXZset5I-5WU8U_fggQnNfNjRviDJhvQR-Bw6

"I hope families are reunited, I hope we get it back and something like a normal version of the planet has been restored, if there ever was such a thing."
274 points, 15 lists

directed by Anthony & Joe Russo | US | 2019

The Pitch: We're in the endgame now.

#1 Placements: 3
Top 5 Placements: 2
Top 12 Placements: 1
Metacritic: 78
Box Office: $2.798 billion WW
Awards: 6 Saturn Awards
BOT History: #4, Top Movies of 2019
Critic Opinion: “Endgame is a monument to adequacy, a fitting capstone to an enterprise that figured out how to be good enough for enough people enough of the time. Not that it's really over, of course: Disney and Marvel are still working out new wrinkles in the time-money continuum. But the Russos do provide the sense of an ending, a chance to appreciate what has been done before the timelines reset and we all get back to work.” - A.O. Scott, The New York Times
BOT Sez: “Avengers: Endgame was a thrilling ride and a good conclusion to the Infinity Saga. Trying to fit the conclusions to several key characters in the universe is no easy task, and for the most part Endgame achieves this well. The first two acts of the film serve as a prelude to the third; with most of the narrative being revisiting past locations and/or characters that they had a deep connection with. This at times made the film feel slow, but was often not noticed due to the good dialogue, humour and most importantly the recurring references they made to prior films in the Marvel cinematic universe.” - @BlueCore
“The perfect blockbuster.” - @CJohn
Commentary: That time Marvel made $2.8 billion by extending the third act of a typical blockbuster into a 3-hour monument to the success of Marvel. We may not see its likes again for a long time. Perhaps not until Avengers 10.

e6d6b66c-0d1a-4940-a9e2-82fd77d477ae-end

My favorite movie of the decade, should be higher. oh well I'll settle for 33.

• Like 2

Garfield was good in Hacksaw Ridge but yeah, if he deserved a nomination for either of his 2016 movies it should've been for Silence (also his best performance IMO though obviously never got the chance to see his Tony-winning work in that Angels in America revival he was in).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Garfield was good in Hacksaw Ridge but yeah, if he deserved a nomination for either of his 2016 movies it should've been for Silence (also his best performance IMO though obviously never got the chance to see his Tony-winning work in that Angels in America revival he was in).

The National Theater version of the show (with Andrew Garfield) is on Youtube. Speaking of Angels in America, I just remembered that I still haven't finished the miniseries.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Astonished 1

Well, phooey on all of you...I loved Hacksaw Ridge and it was my second fave of 2016...and it had the beautiful Theresa Palmer in it, so that's just a bonus.

• Like 2

Under the Silver Lake is my favorite Garfield role, although Silence and TSN are close. I think taps most productively into all the qualities that define him as an actor, making the character out of his depth which is Garfield's specialty but his usual puppy-dog earnestness is great when applied to this toxic smarmy dickhead type. I hope he does more variations on that.

• Like 5

Watched Unstoppable today and it would've been in my Top 30 had I watched the whole movie earlier (I've seen the last act multiple times but always miss the first two acts whenever it comes on TV). Not as good as The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, which released a year earlier, but probably Tony Scott's tightest and most focused film. I'm guessing Unstoppable didn't make it into this list either.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Watched Unstoppable today and it would've been in my Top 30 had I watched the whole movie earlier (I've seen the last act multiple times but always miss the first two acts whenever it comes on TV). Not as good as The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, which released a year earlier, but probably Tony Scott's tightest and most focused film. I'm guessing it didn't make it into this list either.

Unstoppable was the last film in my top 100. That movie rules. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Watched Unstoppable today and it would've been in my Top 30 had I watched the whole movie earlier (I've seen the last act multiple times but always miss the first two acts whenever it comes on TV). Not as good as The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, which released a year earlier, but probably Tony Scott's tightest and most focused film. I'm guessing Unstoppable didn't make it into this list either.

It got 4 points. Which puts it in the company of uuuuuh Glass, A Most Violent Year, Son of Saul, Jupiter Ascending and Roman J. Israel, Esq. Among many others.

Have you seen Deja Vu? I watched that recently and loved it, shocked by how buried it seems to be.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It got 4 points. Which puts it in the company of uuuuuh Glass, A Most Violent Year, Son of Saul, Jupiter Ascending and Roman J. Israel, Esq. Among many others.

mfw i'm APPARENTLY the only person who had roman j israel on their list

roman-j-israel-denzeljpg-fcad38ef514c1ab

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Have you seen Deja Vu? I watched that recently and loved it, shocked by how buried it seems to be.

I guess Son of Saul is there just because pretty much no one has seen it (I've had it on my watchlist for about 5 years now). Surprised Unstoppable only had 4 votes too.

Also, haven't seen Deja Vu yet. I'm trying to get through Tony Scott's filmography right now. Till now I've seen Enemy of the State, Spy Game, The Taking of Pelham 123, and Unstoppable (all four of which deserve more attention). Watching True Romance tomorrow and then Man on Fire, Deja Vu, Domino, and The Last Boy Scout next week. I've liked or loved everything I've seen from him till now.

• Like 3