Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

Number 25

Spoiler

rI7cUr4.jpg

"On your left."
306 points, 19 lists

directed by Anthony & Joe Russo | US | 2014

The Pitch: Captain America uncovers a conspiracy within S.H.I.E.L.D. while being pursued by a mysterious assassin.

#1 Placements: 1
Top 5 Placements: 2
Top 12 Placements: 3
Metacritic: 70
Box Office: $714m WW
Awards: Academy Award nomination for Best Visual Effects; 11 Saturn Award nominations; 6 Teen Choice Award nominations
BOT History: #13, Top Movies of 2014; #96 (2016), #76 (2018), Top 100 Movies of All Time; #5, Top Comic Book Movies of All Time (2019); BOFFY nomination for Best Picture
Critic Opinion: "The newest Marvel blockbuster-to-be boasts an array of well-cast leads and supporting characters; a crisply paced, sensible plot; and above-average dialogue. Even more importantly, every scene and every character interaction prove that the movie’s creative team truly understands the core appeal of Cap himself—the tone of not just the character, but the comic book series from which he springs." - Michael Burgin, Paste
BOT Sez: “The biggest asset of the film is how it feels so grounded and so small at times amid the insane destruction. The character of Captain America is one of the most fascinating characters I have ever seen on the big screen and it is surprising that, after all this time, I am still shocked and amazed by the things he does. The Winter Soldier brings this out very nicely and I can't wait to see more of their interaction in the future as the final 'battle' between them was so perfect and emotional that I almost cried. Pity there wasn't more of him (the movie is called The Winter Soldier, one would expect him to be in it a bit more).” - @darkelf
“I love the way Captain America: The Winter Soldier uses action to expose character.
We start with the Lemurian Star sequence.  It takes place at night.  Steve's wearing his dark stealth suit.  Steve Rogers is not a bad ass for jumping out of that plane without a parachute.  He's suicidal.  He has zero regards for his safety and well being.  He tosses his enemies around without concern.  We feel him in his dark place, trying to find his new role in the world.
In the Washington DC Street Fight -- the Best Action Sequence Marvel's Ever Put On Screen -- the entire sequence takes place in street clothes.  Our heroes have found out that the enemies is from within and have shed their past alliances.  They're trying to survive, trying to find who they are in this new world.  This sequence is also so smart.  I love that Natasha Romanoff stops when she sees the shadows.  I love that Sam Wilson LITERALLY brings a knife to a gun fight and wins.  I love the intense fight choreography of Steve Rogers and Winter Soldier's fight -- and then he rips off that mask, for that reveal, and we're right back to Steve, and his emotions.” - @Cap
“9.5/10
One question though.....where was Hawkeye?” - @Mulder
Commentary: Our highest-ranking live-action comic book movie and the only one to make the top 25, which will hopefully be enough for @Cap not to ban the motherfuck out of us all. Possibly the most important MCU film for the direction that it would lead the studio in, it re-established its ability to hop between different sensibilities with apparent ease - or at least look like that's what it's doing - and featured what remain some of the best action sequences in the entire franchise.

1*TwrZuvkwH8W_FG-1bp5p2A.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 6
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 2

Number 24

Spoiler

BOj46I9.jpg

"If you want love, then this is it."
312 points, 16 lists

directed by Richard Linklater | US | 2013

The Pitch: 18 years after Before Sunrise and 9 years after Before Sunset, the now 40-something Jesse and Céline spend a summer vacation in Greece.

Top 5 Placements: 3
Top 12 Placements: 5
Metacritic: 94
Box Office: $23m WW
Awards: Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay
BOT History: #10, Top Movies of 2013; BOFFY for Best Adapted Screenplay, out of 3 nominations
Critic Opinion: "As with its two predecessors — and with the films of French New Wave director Éric Rohmer, presiding deity of this kind of cinema—Midnight's essentially a film about people talking. But when the talk's this good, this absorbing and revealing and witty and true, who's going to complain?... [It's a] more-than-worthy, expectation-exceeding chapter in one of modern cinema's finest love stories. As honest, convincing, funny, intimate and natural as its predecessors." - Philip Kemp, Total Film
"The shifting meaning of a moment—as it is anticipated and then experienced, as it is remembered or misremembered, as it gains or loses luster in a year, a decade, or more—is the existential question that animates the story of Jesse and Celine, which has now played out over three films spanning nearly two decades. Each film is a window onto a stage of life, sharply attuned to the possibilities and disappointments of one’s twenties, thirties, and forties. Taken together, they have become something much larger and more radical: an ongoing collective experiment in embodying the passage of time. Such decade-spanning endeavors are hardly unprecedented in cinema: obvious analogues include Michael Apted’s Up documentaries and François Truffaut’s Antoine Doinel series. But The Before Trilogy gains its unique emotional force from being, in the fullest sense, a love story, a rare, knowing engagement with both the fantasies and the realities of romance." - Dennis Lim, Criterion
BOT Sez: “Linklater is one of the most unique directors around, especially for someone who makes at least one film per year, and this film is a testament to his abilities. Just like with the first two, he can manage to make 20-30 minutes conversations riveting and involving. The final argument especially packs a wallop, with the raw power of Hawke and Delpy being unlike anything I've seen in years.” - @JonnyCraig
Commentary: Talking > superheroes. Now here's a passion pick, the film with the 5th highest average point score (19.5) in the top 100; of the other four, one is Dangal, which appeared on only 5 individual lists, and the others are all in the top 3, i.e. they're passion-driven favorites on a significantly bigger scale. Continuing modern cinema's longest-running relationship story, of the lovers that first met onscreen in 1995 and reunited in 2004, Before Midnight largely sustained the wit, poignancy and precise behavioral observation of its beloved predecessors; seven years on it, too, has stood the test of time.

before-midnight.jpg

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 24

Hide contents

BOj46I9.jpg

"If you want love, then this is it."
312 points, 16 lists

directed by Richard Linklater | US | 2013

The Pitch: 18 years after Before Sunrise and 9 years after Before Sunset, the now 40-something Jesse and Céline spend a summer vacation in Greece.

Top 5 Placements: 3
Top 12 Placements: 5
Metacritic: 94
Box Office: $23m WW
Awards: Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay
BOT History: #10, Top Movies of 2013; BOFFY for Best Adapted Screenplay, out of 3 nominations
Critic Opinion: "As with its two predecessors — and with the films of French New Wave director Éric Rohmer, presiding deity of this kind of cinema—Midnight's essentially a film about people talking. But when the talk's this good, this absorbing and revealing and witty and true, who's going to complain?... [It's a] more-than-worthy, expectation-exceeding chapter in one of modern cinema's finest love stories. As honest, convincing, funny, intimate and natural as its predecessors." - Philip Kemp, Total Film
"The shifting meaning of a moment—as it is anticipated and then experienced, as it is remembered or misremembered, as it gains or loses luster in a year, a decade, or more—is the existential question that animates the story of Jesse and Celine, which has now played out over three films spanning nearly two decades. Each film is a window onto a stage of life, sharply attuned to the possibilities and disappointments of one’s twenties, thirties, and forties. Taken together, they have become something much larger and more radical: an ongoing collective experiment in embodying the passage of time. Such decade-spanning endeavors are hardly unprecedented in cinema: obvious analogues include Michael Apted’s Up documentaries and François Truffaut’s Antoine Doinel series. But The Before Trilogy gains its unique emotional force from being, in the fullest sense, a love story, a rare, knowing engagement with both the fantasies and the realities of romance." - Dennis Lim, Criterion
BOT Sez: “Linklater is one of the most unique directors around, especially for someone who makes at least one film per year, and this film is a testament to his abilities. Just like with the first two, he can manage to make 20-30 minutes conversations riveting and involving. The final argument especially packs a wallop, with the raw power of Hawke and Delpy being unlike anything I've seen in years.” - @JonnyCraig
Commentary: Talking > superheroes. Now here's a passion pick, the film with the 5th highest average point score (19.5) in the top 100; of the other four, one is Dangal, which appeared on only 5 individual lists, and the others are all in the top 3, i.e. they're passion-driven favorites on a significantly bigger scale. Continuing modern cinema's longest-running relationship story, of the lovers that first met onscreen in 1995 and reunited in 2004, Before Midnight largely sustained the wit, poignancy and precise behavioral observation of its beloved predecessors; seven years on it, too, has stood the test of time.

before-midnight.jpg

The real list begins now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So first place is 36 points. Ugh. I should have made the list. Sorry Infinity War. You missed Top 25 due to me. 

Basically all MCU films lost 5-10 ranks.

good thing you didn't make a list 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So first place is 36 points. Ugh. I should have made the list. Sorry Infinity War. You missed Top 25 due to me. 

Basically all MCU films lost 5-10 ranks.

Before Midnight gang showed up to the polls like Biden voters in the primaries

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1