Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

Number 23

Spoiler

bez9X2h.jpg

"Cells."
317 points, 25 lists

directed by Denis Villeneuve | US | 2017

The Pitch: 30 years after the events of the original Blade Runner, a young replicant blade runner uncovers a secret that threatens to destabilize society.

Top 5 Placements: 2
Top 12 Placements: 1
Metacritic: 81
Box Office: $260m WW
Awards: Academy Awards for Best Cinematography and Visual Effects
BOT History: #2, Top Movies of 2017; #30, Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies of All Time (2020); 3 BOFFY awards
Critic Opinion: “Like its predecessor, Blade Runner 2049 is a decidedly cool artifact, and not primarily an actors' film. Villeneuve's most important collaborators are the cinematographer Roger Deakins and the production designer Dennis Gassner, who, between them, conjure a future world breathtaking in its decrepitude, a gorgeous ruin. From the grayed-out countrysides over which the sky has closed like a lid; to the drizzly neon decadence of Los Angeles; to a San Diego refashioned as a waste dump worthy of WALL-E; to the Ozymandian wreckage of Las Vegas—the film is a splendor of the first order." - Christopher Orr, the Atlantic
BOT Sez: “In virtually every respect, it's exactly the sequel Blade Runner deserves: it deepens the mythology and development of the original film's universe while also paying homage to many memorable details; it calls on audiences to ponder many of the original's intriguing questions about human nature while introducing new and equally intriguing questions; and it captures much of the cool, mysterious feel of the original while taking several bold chances as it advances the story in new directions. Whereas the original Blade Runner was a dense film that packed a great deal of material into its two-hour frame, this one uses its near-three-hour running time to its advantage, allowing every plot thread proper room to breathe while also never feeling bloated.” - @Webslinger
Commentary: The one where Denis Villeneuve got $150 million to make what was in his words "the most expensive art film ever made" in the form of a 35-years-later Blade Runner sequel. As with the original, the result was a science-fiction epic whose slow pace and relative lack of action and plot thrills cost it in the box office, but whose pedigree, aesthetic beauty and idiosyncratic, uncompromising storytelling also won it a no small number of fans.

wut.jpg

• Like 20
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Our highest-ranking live-action comic book movie and the only one to make the top 25, which will hopefully be enough for @Cap not to ban the motherfuck out of us all.

kim kardashian GIF

I've been thinking a lot about this movie during the past couple weeks, and it's one of the only escapist fantasy's that's keeping me sane, cause I desperately want to live in a world where Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Natasha Romanoff exist (BEST MCU TEAM!!). Only, you know what, we do.

Cause the Big Damn Heroes Moment of this movie isn't the fight scenes, or the Bucky Confrontation, or Nat dumping all of SHIELD's files onto Twitter. It's Steve Rogers asking the other SHIELD agents to step up and do their job, and to do the right thing. It's the guy at the SHIELD command center saying "No" to HYDRA. It's the unnamed shield agents running into danger trying to stop the Hellicarriers from launching.  

I've just been thinking about that a lot.

(back to flaky fangirl)

I've also been thinking about how much Sam and Steve are in love, and Steve is so hot in this movie.  

• Like 9

Number 21 (tie)

Spoiler

RWS3VdO.jpg

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."
320 points, 23 lists

directed by Christopher Nolan | US, UK | 2014

The Pitch: In a dystopian future, a group of astronauts travel through a wormhole near Saturn in search of a new home for humanity.

Top 5 Placements: 1
Top 12 Placements: 4
Metacritic: 74
Box Office: $677m WW
Awards: Academy Award for Best Visual Effects
BOT History: #1, Top Movies of 2014; #25, Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies of All Time (2020); BOFFY for Best Original Score, out of 5 nominations
Critic Opinion: “There’s a definite space-station-cover paperback charm to the way Interstellar practices sci-fi: the lean characters, known only by their surnames; the geeky cool of the old-school team robot, TARS, a bulky metal rectangle with a disconcertingly human voice; the wide-eyed garbling of textbook science. In its best stretches, which tend to come in the middle, it is a fatalistic adventure that pits peaceful science types against themselves and each other as they struggle to achieve a greater goal; in its worst moments, toward the end, it is a dopey exercise in humanist metaphysics, a movie about facing the cosmic unknown that explains everything several times over.” - Ignatiy Vishnevetsky, The AV Club
BOT Sez: "I thought the scene where McConaughey and Hathaway kidnap the two young girls and torture them, especially the scene where they took out one of the girls intestines and then made the other girl pee her own pants, was a little unnecessary.  But other than that, the rest was pretty good.....especially the shark stuff."  - @baumer

"Matthew McConaughey was a beast in this film. He single handily carried some scenes into greatness, squeezing out every emotion out of you with his emotional beats. Without him, this movie could have fallen flat on its face.
The emotional core of the story really worked for me. I nearly went into full tears no less than three times during the movie, when he leaves Murph, when he sees the 23 years of videos, and then when he comes face to face with Murph again. Now, the beats were as subtle as a brick to the face, and lacks the elegance and grace of some of Nolan's other emotional moments (Prestige ending, Mal and Cobb growing old together in Inception), but it worked.
Really, the reason why I'm not in love with the film is just the overall indifference to the mission. The stuff they were doing on the planets were just there. I was really into the family bonds, but the mission just lacked excitement save for the docking sequence and slingshot.”

“My initial review of Interstellar was all the shame I ever needed to endure in life.”

“I love Interstellar like the father who loves his son who gets slightly lower grades than all his other Asian children.” 

- @MrPink
Commentary: Nolan is going to keep us regular company now, and here he is with his biggest and most ambitious, which is also a way of saying that it's his most overstuffed and divisive, original movie - so, naturally, it almost made the top 20. Inherited from Steven Spielberg and sharing some of his sentimentality to which Nolan himself is not typically given, as well as some of the DNA of 2001 and Solaris, it contributed to the 2010s streak of audacious space sci-fi and has played a dramatic role in MrPink's life as a BOT member, as you can see from the quotes above.

kz-szLiHy25oa5ZHVek6gyfEDwPswlIpUbrkB0Fa

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 21 (tie)

Reveal hidden contents

Animated GIF

• Haha 2

Number 21 (tie)

Spoiler

LjXDtsY.jpg

"I think it's... just the right amount of obvious."
320 points, 23 lists

directed by Lee Unkrich & Adrian Molina | US | 2017

The Pitch: 12-year-old aspiring musician Miguel is transported into the Land of the Dead where he seeks out his legendary singer great-great-grandfather.

Top 5 Placements: 3
Top 12 Placements: 1
Metacritic: 81
Box Office: $807m WW
Awards: Academy Awards for Best Animated Feature and Original Song; 11 Annie Awards
BOT History: #11, Top Movies of 2017; #14, Top 100 Animated Movies (2018); 3 BOFFY nominations
Critic Opinion: “Coco teaches a salient point: In the dead, we see ourselves. Their world bears more than a passing resemblance to ours—and to the plight of families separated by borders—because our anxieties about death mirror our worries about own lives. It’s one of a handful of challenging ideas articulated in a film that is, paradoxically, one of Pixar’s less challenging high-concept creations—a somewhat formulaic, busily animated adventure with a relentlessly tearjerking finale and a structure that brings to mind Disney’s renaissance period. [...] One might argue that Coco could stand to be weirder and more self-indulgent; the alternate reality it creates is entertaining and expansive. But then it wouldn’t be a Pixar film.” - Ignatiy Vishnevetsky, The AV Club
BOT Sez: “This thing had me within the first two minutes. It quickly stirred up some family/heritage feelings I've never quite felt before. My great-grandmother was from Spain and lived with us until she died when I was fairly young. She spoke very little English and as soon as I saw Coco in the wheelchair, I was suddenly five years old with her again. I didn't grow up speaking Spanish, but my mother has used phrases like "Callate la boca" and "Dame un beso" my whole life. 
From the very start, I could understand how awesome it must be for Hispanic families to see this together. To finally see and hear themselves onscreen. On that front alone, it's terrific. As others have said, the story beats are a tad predictable but who cares when it nails the emotional beats so well? And the colors....MY GOD, THE COLORS. This has gotta be the most visually stunning animated film I've ever seen.” - @RichWS
Commentary: Today's 2017-heavy lineup concludes with the first of the three consensus-excellent Pixar films to come out in the 2010s. (We all know what they are; of the rest, the closest to the top 100 was Incredibles 2, which ranked #216). The first film with a nine-figure budget to feature an all-Latino principal cast, Coco fused together Pixar's familiar themes and fixations with a fresh cultural setting to winning results, and distinguished itself in the box office by becoming the highest grossing film of all time in Mexico and an unexpected smash hit in China, where it earned nearly as much as in the US.

20181217_144000+005_trim_fuzz15.png

• Like 23
  • Astonished 4

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 21 (tie)

Reveal hidden contents

One of the best movie ever. 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 21 (tie)

Hide contents

RWS3VdO.jpg

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."
320 points, 23 lists

directed by Christopher Nolan | US, UK | 2014

The Pitch: In a dystopian future, a group of astronauts travel through a wormhole near Saturn in search of a new home for humanity.

Top 5 Placements: 1
Top 12 Placements: 4
Metacritic: 74
Box Office: $677m WW
Awards: Academy Award for Best Visual Effects
BOT History: #1, Top Movies of 2014; #25, Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies of All Time (2020); BOFFY for Best Original Score, out of 5 nominations
Critic Opinion: “There’s a definite space-station-cover paperback charm to the way Interstellar practices sci-fi: the lean characters, known only by their surnames; the geeky cool of the old-school team robot, TARS, a bulky metal rectangle with a disconcertingly human voice; the wide-eyed garbling of textbook science. In its best stretches, which tend to come in the middle, it is a fatalistic adventure that pits peaceful science types against themselves and each other as they struggle to achieve a greater goal; in its worst moments, toward the end, it is a dopey exercise in humanist metaphysics, a movie about facing the cosmic unknown that explains everything several times over.” - Ignatiy Vishnevetsky, The AV Club
BOT Sez: "I thought the scene where McConaughey and Hathaway kidnap the two young girls and torture them, especially the scene where they took out one of the girls intestines and then made the other girl pee her own pants, was a little unnecessary.  But other than that, the rest was pretty good.....especially the shark stuff."  - @baumer

"Matthew McConaughey was a beast in this film. He single handily carried some scenes into greatness, squeezing out every emotion out of you with his emotional beats. Without him, this movie could have fallen flat on its face.
The emotional core of the story really worked for me. I nearly went into full tears no less than three times during the movie, when he leaves Murph, when he sees the 23 years of videos, and then when he comes face to face with Murph again. Now, the beats were as subtle as a brick to the face, and lacks the elegance and grace of some of Nolan's other emotional moments (Prestige ending, Mal and Cobb growing old together in Inception), but it worked.
Really, the reason why I'm not in love with the film is just the overall indifference to the mission. The stuff they were doing on the planets were just there. I was really into the family bonds, but the mission just lacked excitement save for the docking sequence and slingshot.”

“My initial review of Interstellar was all the shame I ever needed to endure in life.”

“I love Interstellar like the father who loves his son who gets slightly lower grades than all his other Asian children.” 

- @MrPink
Commentary: Nolan is going to keep us regular company now, and here he is with his biggest and most ambitious, which is also a way of saying that it's his most overstuffed and divisive, original movie - so, naturally, it almost made the top 20. Inherited from Steven Spielberg and sharing some of his sentimentality to which Nolan himself is not typically given, as well as some of the DNA of 2001 and Solaris, it contributed to the 2010s streak of audacious space sci-fi and has played a dramatic role in MrPink's life as a BOT member, as you can see from the quotes above.

kz-szLiHy25oa5ZHVek6gyfEDwPswlIpUbrkB0Fa

Me getting dunked on for my interstellar comments

IMQ0A1j.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Why are you shocked about that? It's literally the internet's 2nd favourite film of all time (after Parasite of course). If anything I'm surprised it's placed so low.

yeah I know it's pretty popular among film fans but from around my film circles it's usually referred to as the "slow denis movie" compared to Arrival/Prisoners. I wasn't around here when 2049 came out so idk how much BOT liked the movie.

I really dug it though so I'm not complaining lol. (only disappointing part is no Prisoners/Incendies).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Our highest-ranking live-action comic book movie 

Why do ya'll sleep on anything that's not Marvel/DC so much? Dredd missing the Top 110 or not making any BOT list other than a middling placement in the CBM one is a travesty. Scott Pilgrim... ok, tbf I don't see BOT voting for Scott Pilgrim but I thought the collection of Marvel/DC actors in its cast would at least give it a cult following with people discovering it thanks to their favourite superhero stars.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Why do ya'll sleep on anything that's not Marvel/DC so much? Dredd missing the Top 110 or not making any BOT list other than a middling placement in the CBM one is a travesty. Scott Pilgrim... ok, tbf I don't see BOT voting for Scott Pilgrim but I thought the collection of Marvel/DC actors in its cast would at least give it a cult following with people discovering it thanks to their favourite superhero stars.

I think we had more non-Marvel/DC CBMs released in the 2000s. The closest we got to a CBM being the next Speed Racer (at least in terms of the spectacle, visuals, and tone) was well, a DC movie.  I'd say 2010s was weaker had weaker CBMs in general compared to the 2000s. Yes, the Avengers films made a lot of money but are they as good as Josie and the Pussycats or Speed Racer? Not even close.

Also thought Pilgrim would make it into the list for a similar reason to yours. 

Edit: Snowpiercer made the list so that's one non Marvel/DC CBM.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1