Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

Just for comp, films from last decade in IMDb 250.

13. Inception

26. Parasite

30. Interstellar

43. Intouchables

45. Whiplash

50. Joker

59. Django Unchained

62. Avengers: Infinity War

65. Spider-man: Into Spider Verse

70. Avengers: Endgame

71. The Dark Knight Rises

74. Your Name

75. Coco

77. 1917

93. Dangal

96. Jagten

98. Capernaum

110. Toy Story 3

111. A Separation

118. Incendies

128. Green Book

145. The Wolf of Wall Street

150. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

156. Inside Out

158. Warrior

159. Shutter Island

164. Room

181. Relatos Salvajes

183. Andhadhun

185. Klaus

188. Gone Girl

189. Hacksaw Ridge

190. The Grand Budapest Hotel

191. Ford v Ferrari

194. How to Train your Dragon

199. Prisoners

200. 12 Years of a Slave

202. Mad Max: Fury Road

213. Rush

214. Logan

217. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2

224. Spotlight

225. Handmaiden

228. Portrait of Lady on Fire

234. Gangs of Wasseypur

237. The Help

240. The Invisible Guest

242. Drishyam

246. PK

248. Winter Sleep

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

What on Earth would that accomplish? The Hollywood films aren't the underrepresented ones here.

Because people here don't watch foreign cinema that much, perhaps we aren't best judge of that. So far there is only one Indian film there, which is barely good, while there are many many better Indian films than that.

Limiting to Hollywood will make the list atleast films which everyone watch.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

for another comparison here's reddit r/movies' top 100 of the decade. pretty similar to ours which means i must confirm with a heavy heart that this is a Normie list.

https://letterboxd.com/les_vampires/list/reddit-r-movies-top-100-films-of-the-2010s/

That list is peak Reddit for sure. And I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of overlap considering how weird Reddit can be about certain movies.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

That list is peak Reddit for sure. And I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of overlap considering how weird Reddit can be about certain movies.

i''m surprised we have Joker about 35 spots higher than reddit did.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

for another comparison here's reddit r/movies' top 100 of the decade. pretty similar to ours which means i must confirm with a heavy heart that this is a Normie list.

https://letterboxd.com/les_vampires/list/reddit-r-movies-top-100-films-of-the-2010s/

Yes, but did they include Uncle Drew on their list?  Twice?

we truly distinguished ourselves there

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

no silence tho

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I'm more surprised that Portrait of a Lady on Fire is even on the reddit list (at the bottom but still). it doesn't strike me as a reddit film at all.  

• Like 1

Number 17

Spoiler

8yaEjmH.jpg

"I anticipate the terminus of Gravity's Rainbow."
358 points, 26 lists

directed by Rian Johnson | US | 2019

The Pitch: A detective investigates the death of a famous mystery writer following his 85th birthday party.

Top 5 Placements: 1
Top 12 Placements: 3
Metacritic: 82
Box Office: $312m WW
Awards: Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay
BOT History: #1, Top Movies of 2019; 2 BOFFY awards
Critic Opinion: “An entertainment that’s as smart, witty, stylish and exhilarating as any movie lover could wish for. It’s tempting to call it the sort of movie they don’t make any more, but they didn’t make all that many way back when, because it’s really hard to pull off a production of such startling quality.” - Joe Morgenstern, The Wall Street Journal
“Far from empty sleight-of-hand, Knives Out twists its borrowed, rearranged mechanics into a timely, sincere, and ultimately moving celebration of decency in the face of moral failure. To paraphrase one of Blanc’s funnier musings, that’s the donut within the donut hole.” - A.A. Dowd, The AV Club
BOT Sez: “As Marta, a Latina nurse whom the family clearly pats themselves on the back for accepting until the madness starts, de Armas does the heaviest lifting of anyone in the cast and gives a winning performance that makes it all too easy to root for her character as more and more secrets come to light. As the brilliant Poirot-like detective, Daniel Craig lets loose and gives a comedic performance that matches up with his inspired work in Logan Lucky two years ago; he sinks his teeth into the scenery and has a great time with the role, though he also carries himself with the requisite wit and acuity to feel completely convincing as a master detective.” - @Webslinger
Commentary: Our second consecutive 2019 writing and directing follow-up to a 2017 film that itself showed up on the list not so long ago. In this instance it is also probably 2019's most convincing (in terms of tickets sold, if nothing else) argument in favor of original Hollywood filmmaking, a cleverly constructed spin on classic genre material that modernizes it in multiple crucial ways without betraying what originally made it special. The audiences largely agreed, leading to accomplished work being amply rewarded.

2019_48_film.jpg?itok=B7JsMmpR&c=22e0599

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Eric Atreides said:

Baumer, go to bed

Maybe that's the problem. I've been in bed all day today. Woke up with a splitting headache and just really tired to the point where I had to call in sick today.

A little women is definitely not quite my tempo. It's up there with citizen Kane in terms of boredom.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Baahubali 2 in Top 10 will be epic 

If I had submitted a list that would have definitely been on my mind for sure. I'm not sure if that was the most fun I had at the theatre this year but it was certainly up there.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Because people here don't watch foreign cinema that much, perhaps we aren't best judge of that. So far there is only one Indian film there, which is barely good, while there are many many better Indian films than that.

Limiting to Hollywood will make the list atleast films which everyone watch.

One Indian film appearing here still makes the list more interesting than it would be with 0. It's not the matter of judgment, it's the matter of exposure, and people here may not watch foreign cinema that much but enough of them have watched A Separation and The Handmaiden to land them both in the top 50, which is awesome. The wider the pool to draw from, the better. I'd find it depressing and pointless if we had to restrict ourselves to nothing but Hollywood studio movies here.

• Like 10