Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

12 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Still you had Star Wars: TFA in your top 100 movies of all time back in 2016. 

I mean TFA is better than any CBM of 2019.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Haha 2

Number 81

Spoiler

RNm7m2p.jpg

"Who am I? I'm a hard worker. I set high goals and I've been told that I'm persistent."

160 points, 16 lists

directed by Dan Gilroy | US | 2014

The Pitch: A stringer records violent incidents late at night in Los Angeles and sells them to a local TV station, gradually expanding his business.

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 12 Placements: 2

Metacritic: 76

Box Office: $50m WW

Awards: Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay; 4 BAFTA nominations

BOT History: #17, Top Movies of 2014; BOFFY nominations for Best Actor and Original Screenplay

Critic Opinion: Gyllenhaal is in almost every frame of writer-director Dan Gilroy's first feature, skinny and wide-eyed, running down a driveway with his camera or cutting across oncoming traffic in the Challenger. It's an intense performance, the flip side of Ryan Gosling's in "Drive," playing the angles and filling space with empty words instead of soulful silences." - Jeff Baker, The Oregonian

"The film has a sulfuric, Dostoyevskian quality — and sick sense of humor — that captures the muted aquarium that Los Angeles becomes at night, a spell that’s broken once plot overtakes mood." - Ann Hornaday, The Washington Post

BOT Sez: "The vampire metaphor runs through the movie and creeps everywhere from the settings (nightime LA), the protagonist and his "job". A livid and creepy guy who just strolls into the night looking after someone and something he can vampirize to elevate himself in the social ladder applying all those self-improvement and self-made man success mantras like a robot lacking any genuine human social skills and speaking in corporate business lingo 24/7. And the horrible truth is that's what makes him the best at what he does." - @dashrendar44

Commentary: We wrap it up for today with the morbidly funny 2014 character study that gave Jake Gyllenhaal a chance to deliver arguably the most startling and impressive performance of his career (give or take Okja). Despite its focus on a profoundly unlikable sociopath, the film became a nice mid-range commercial success upon its wide release, and its bluntly satirical look at unethical journalism and its place within the larger capitalism-driven culture attracted to it a not-insignificant number of devoted fans.

MV5BM2U3Njk1NTgtZDUyMy00YTg1LWJlN2ItZmEx

• Like 16
  • Astonished 1

14 hours ago, The Panda said:

And they’d still be shorter than the 20 hr Lord of the Rings: Extended Hobbit Edition movie.  Seems like Peter Jackson cannot be topped.

And shorter than the entirety of Kingsman 2.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Stats after #100-81

Yearly breakdown: 2011 (2), 2012 (2), 2013 (4), 2014 (5), 2015 (3), 2016 (2), 2017 (1), 2019 (1)

Directors with multiple films on the list: N/A

Actors with multiple characters on the list: Cate Blanchett (2); Chris Evans (2); John Hurt (2); Amy Ryan (2)

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Cap said:

- snip -

if uncredited scenes count too, and if e.g. movies like Thor 2 make it (hypothetically, I know, I know), then he might end as one of the most appearing in a movie actors. See uncredited in Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, playing Loki-CA in Thor 2 adds 3 listings alone.

Add Spider-Man: Homecoming, and wow, he was in way more than ‚only‘ 3x CA + 4x Avengers = 7x MCU movies, means he appeared till now in 11x MCU movies (but in that decade alone in 12 comic books based movies, see The Losers, I think Snowpiercer counts as that as well, if true, 13 times. Hmmm, add the decade before that, it would be 15 times, is that a record? Voice work in TMNT?)

Looking into his IMDb list he was also in a few movies with an average rating over 7 (something around 6.5+ is the medium, so its over middle point rating?) I was not aware of (probably bcs I have not seen them), see Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Gifted, and Knives Out. 

Good times for you?

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I found the thread and I’m laughing my ass off. It’s delightful, BOT at its best. 

I’m not gonna bump it though. The only hint I’ll give is it’s not just my list. 

Ah... You mean this one. wtf were you on?

Edit: You missed The Brainwash Awakens

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 87

Reveal hidden contents

Should have known it would amass a huge following after it became the unlikeliest kindergartener sensation of all time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3