Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

Number 91

Spoiler

FAiRyJq.jpg

"Come find me when you wake up."

145 points, 17 lists

directed by DOUG LIMAN | US | 2014

The Pitch: A bureaucrat forced to join the battle against an invading alien race finds himself reliving the same day over and over again.

Top 12 Placements: 1

Metacritic: 71

Box Office: $370m WW

Awards: Critics' Choice Award for Best Actress in an Action Movie

BOT History: #10, Top 25 of 2014; BOFFY for Best Editing

Critic Opinion: "The reason the film works is because it throws everything into the blender and comes up with something new, something that has a great lively sense of wit and humor to it, and it takes the time to fully explore its wild premise fully." - Drew McWeeny, Hitfix

BOT Sez: "I went into this expecting something like Cruise's last sci-fi fare, Oblivion that, while entertaining enough, was a bit dull and easily forgettable. Instead I got something that was smart, funny, well-written, intense and kept you interested nearly all throughout. It has enough action to satisfy the action junkie inside me and balances it perfectly with the quieter, more conversational scenes timing it perfectly so I don't end up feeling either has gone on too long. The characters were great, well acted, complex and you came to really care for them." - @rukaio101

Commentary: Coming in as already our third movie of 2014 is a highlight of Tom Cruise's ongoing middle-aged action-hero phase, a non-sequel sci-fi tentpole that weathered an oversized budget and (at the time production began) an unfinished script before exceeding low audience expectations in theaters and finding greater popularity on home video, despite (because of?) people confusing its tagline for its title. It cleverly utilized its time-loop premise to give us the delightful spectacle of Tom Cruise repeatedly dying and a film that has frequently drawn positive comparisons to the video game medium, and handed Emily Blunt an instantly iconic action-heroine role.

1386694243000-XXX-EOT-TRL2-02139-6043913

• Like 16
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

6 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Number 91

Reveal hidden contents

EKjrdPpW4AEHPEm.jpg&key=14d87d63b33b7697

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

EKjrdPpW4AEHPEm.jpg&key=14d87d63b33b7697

Whoops, can't believe that we I listed number 91 twice! The only solution is to strike one of the 91's from the list. Obviously, this will have to be the one that was posted second. Sorry, Edge of Tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Whoops, can't believe that we I listed number 91 twice! The only solution is to strike one of the 91's from the list. Obviously, this will have to be the one that was posted second. Sorry, Edge of Tomorrow!

XJUJZ19.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I have to wrap this up for today but don't worry, I don't intend to drag this out over 2-3 weeks - will start doing 10 per day tomorrow. In the meantime, some initial stats with the first 10 out of the way:

Yearly breakdown: 2011 (1), 2012 (1), 2013 (2), 2014 (3), 2015 (1), 2016 (1), 2019 (1)

Directors with multiple films on the list: N/A

Actors with multiple characters on the list: John Hurt (2); Amy Ryan (2)

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Number 91

Reveal hidden contents

Uncle Drew beating da Berg, Bong Joon Ho, and Inarritu. You reach, he teaches, youngbloods.

Hold his nuts.

Spoiler

I don't care if this fuckery

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Uncle Drew beating da Berg, Bong Joon Ho, and Inarritu. You reach, he teaches, youngbloods.

Hold his nuts.

Reveal hidden contents

What this teaches us is there are times in this life when you absolutely need to hold your own nuts if no one else will do it for you. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

What this teaches us is there are times in this life when you absolutely need to hold your own nuts if no one else will do it for you. 

AdoredLikelyCreature-size_restricted.gif

🤲🥜

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Joel M said:

So I assume Deathly Hallows pt2 made it over pt1 . Maybe Fantastic Beasts is exactly what the Potter fandom deserves after all.

I think Part 1 still has a chance to show up. For me it was the higher ranked HP movie.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, misafeco said:

I think Part 1 still has a chance to show up. For me it was the higher ranked HP movie.

The real question how many HP films will make it...... Damn I should have submitted a list!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

I personally think Deathly Hallows should just be considered one singular 4 1/2 hour movie.

i personally think harry potter should be considered one singular 16 and a half hour movie. and the fantastic beasts movies are a 4 hour post-credits scene. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i personally think harry potter should be considered one singular 16 and a half hour movie. and the fantastic beasts movies are a 4 hour post-credits scene. 

And they’d still be shorter than the 20 hr Lord of the Rings: Extended Hobbit Edition movie.  Seems like Peter Jackson cannot be topped.

• Like 1