Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

53 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I find it hard to be upset about harry potter making the list when there's probably a bunch of superhero movies coming up

Still you had Star Wars: TFA in your top 100 movies of all time back in 2016. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This list is going to pull off the mask and reveal the true colors of this community. Number one has to be either Avengers: Endgame or Holy Motors, with nothing in between.

I feel like the majority of the community is. ot acitve / fully active for the moment, so I am not sure if it will give ‚true‘ colours

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I feel like the majority of the community is. ot acitve / fully active for the moment, so I am not sure if it will give ‚true‘ colours

I guess that means we’ll just have to settle with Hard to Be a God at #1

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

I guess that means we’ll just have to settle with Hard to Be a God at #1

No idea what that one even is, as mentioned, that decade is the decade I did watch the least amount of movies per decade in my live, plus as quite a lot of those where picked by my pupils its skewed in a way anyway. There are reasons why I am in between for a time absent here (work work work included)

Have not even seen / not seen completely at least some of the top 5 BO per year, including seemingly fan favorites, but e.g. bcs of the pupils (and other reasons) have also not seen too many of those that did actually interest me

= I guess quite a lot,of the movies on the list I have not seen yet.

E.g. I missed SW 8 + SW9, all HP (but I have seen the newer one with the beasts), old and new Spider-Man, missed the newer X-Men movies, other Fox Marvels,... The DCs with baddies as leads (age restriction for the pupils, also some do not like ~ negatives as leads),...

So many still on my to watch list, I think I might add a few when this countdown is done, so much to learn

• Like 3

On 4/4/2020 at 10:30 PM, Amadeus said:

think you forgot The Force Awakens

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Still you had Star Wars: TFA in your top 100 movies of all time back in 2016. 

are you keeping tabs on everyone who ever put force awakens on a list?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

No idea what that one even is, as mentioned, that decade is the decade I did watch the least amount of movies per decade in my live, plus as quite a lot of those where picked by my pupils its skewed in a way anyway. There are reasons why I am in between for a time absent here (work work work included)

Have not even seen / not seen completely at least some of the top 5 BO per year, including seemingly fan favorites, but e.g. bcs of the pupils (and other reasons) have also not seen too many of those that did actually interest me

= I guess quite a lot,of the movies on the list I have not seen yet.

E.g. I missed SW 8 + SW9, all HP (but I have seen the newer one with the beasts), old and new Spider-Man, missed the newer X-Men movies, other Fox Marvels,... The DCs with baddies as leads (age restriction for the pupils, also some do not like ~ negatives as leads),...

So many still on my to watch list, I think I might add a few when this countdown is done, so much to learn

I high suggest you make a thread called “Terrestrial watches Hard to Be a God” and post your live commentary while watching 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I high suggest you make a thread called “Terrestrial watches Hard to Be a God” and post your live commentary while watching 

I guess I have now to go and actually read through the description, I planed to do all of them after the countdown to write down all titles I have had missed or forgotten in one row

That is what is so great about lists like this, its extremly well researched, described with lots of details I’d usually would have to go on a hunt for, and lists titles I would probably not even find on my own, e.g. Asian titles and so on.

The next movie I’ll watch is probably Bridge of Spies, or the old version of Westworld or one of the other movies I bought since Corona on itunes (I bought a LOT of the under 4€ ones 🤪, as I also used ~ rabat coupon ~ events, they were mostly 3.2€ per movie)

• Like 5

Number 90

Spoiler

YUECM3q.jpg

"My mom died, I went to live with my dad and it's impossible to worry about anything else when there's blood coming out of you."

146 points, 13 lists

directed by Destin Daniel Cretton | US | 2013

The Pitch: A troubled young supervisor of a foster-care facility struggles to do her best for the teenagers she works with.

Top 5 Placements: 1

Metacritic: 82

Box Office: $2.3m WW

Awards: 3 Locarno Film Festival Awards, including Best Actress; Gotham Award for Best Actress

BOT History: 4 BOFFY nominations, including Best Picture and Actress

Critic Opinion: "It's a delicate yet passionate creation, modest in scope but almost overwhelming in its emotional intricacy, ambition, and resonance. Easily one of the best films so far this year, it's a nearly perfect blend of pimple-faced naturalism, righteous moral fury, nuanced social insight, and unsentimental but devastating drama." - Inkoo Kang, The Village Voice

"At its best, the film conveys a wealth of compelling details that only an insider, or at least someone who’s done extensive and thorough research, would think worthy of singling out. Emotions, too, generally have a real-world level of complexity and honesty. As it goes along, however, Short Term 12 increasingly succumbs to a screenwriter’s worst impulses, becoming neat and tidy in ways that undermine what’s so good about it." - Mike D'Angelo, The AV Club

BOT Sez: "Movies that provide meaningful looks into real life can be more rewarding and powerful than even the showiest of films, and this is a perfect example. It's a story about helping others deal with wounds, both figurative and physical, as well as dealing with your own wounds. Brie Larson deserves every award she can get, but the rest of the ensemble cast, especially the young actors, is a revelation. " - @Spaghetti

Commentary: The SXSW indie that could, a live-wire drama whose ecstatic word of mouth, in addition to its critical praise, made it a far bigger deal than its miniscule box-office gross would suggest. In retrospect, it boasts arguably the decade's most impressive before-they-were-famous ensemble, having proved instrumental to the careers of Brie Larson, Lakeith Stanfield, Kaitlyn Dever, John Gallagher Jr. and Rami Malek, and while writer-director Destin Daniel Cretton hasn't quite become as big a name since, the sharp empathetic observation and ability to coax naturalistic performances that he demonstrated here are undoubtedly qualities that will prove much needed on, and crucial to the success of, *checks notes* Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

1*0K0DFpsIJNqwAp--XmaK1Q.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Astonished 1

and while writer-director Destin Daniel Cretton hasn't quite become as big a name since, the sharp empathetic observation and ability to coax naturalistic performances that he demonstrated here are undoubtedly qualities that will prove much needed on, and crucial to the success of, *checks notes* Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

It's weird how Cretton managed to make a film like Short Term 12 that felt so real and then ended up making two incredibly manipulative and melodramatic films after it. I even remember him being hyped as the next big thing for a while (and then The Glass Castle released). It's disappointing to see him become a mediocre director after such an amazing debut.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's weird how Cretton managed to make a film like Short Term 12 that felt so real and then ended up making two incredibly manipulative and melodramatic films after it. 

Calling Just Mercy incredibly manipulative is a grave disservice to the quality of the film

• Like 7

Number 89

Spoiler

UlqCmU7.jpg

"And I should have said "No" to you but I never say "No". And it's selfish because... because I just take everything and I don't know anything. And I don't know what I want. How could I when all I ever do is say "Yes" to everything?"

147 points, 14 lists

directed by Todd Haynes | UK, US | 2015

The Pitch: In the 1950s New York, a romance develops between a department store salesgirl and aspiring photographer and a wealthy older woman going through a divorce.

Metacritic: 94

Box Office: $42m WW

Awards: Cannes Film Festival award for Best Actress (Rooney Mara); 6 Academy Award nominations; 9 BAFTA nominations, including Best Film

BOT History: 2 BOFFY nominations, including Best Actress (Mara)

Critic Opinion: "A serious melodrama about the geometry of desire, a dreamy example of heightened reality that fully engages emotions despite the exact calculations with which it's been made... 'Carol's' lush but controlled visual look is completely intoxicating. This is filmmaking done by masters, an experience to savor." - Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

"The romance between Carol and department store sales clerk Therese Belivet (Rooney Mara) is predicated on accepting that there are real, non-negotiable consequences, both legal and social, for maintaining a non-hetero relationship of any kind; the film has no interest in dramatizing historical wrongs of the ’50s by offering characters opportunities to fight back, thereby vindicating present-day viewers for knowing better. How are a relationship’s opening stages negotiated when public life is a near-impossibility? How can feelings blossom under these circumstances? The answer: tersely, euphemistically (custody disputes frame the question of Carol’s fitness as a parent in terms of moral inquiry rather than homophobia), and by elision." - Vadim Rizov, Filmmaker Magazine

BOT Sez: " Blanchett is one of the great actors or our generation but imo, she is upstaged a little bit by Mara, who imo is the true strength of the film.  Her transformation from a nervous, unsure, hesitant and insecure girl into the confident and strong woman that she becomes, is really an amazing journey." - @baumer

"Probably the closest any period piece of recent years has come to matching the tone and character work of Mad Men, taking a story that could have been wildly melodramatic on screen and playing it subtly and without clichés and hysterics - but also with some expertly placed moments where the emotion breaks through, and it's all the more powerful because we'd seen the characters hold it back before. Mara's performance is in contention for the best of last year, and Blanchett's ethereal quality is perfect for the character who should be believably larger-than-life." - @Jake Gittes

Commentary: Following Safe, Far from Heaven and his great 2011 miniseries Mildred Pierce, Todd Haynes scored another female-centric triumph with this adaptation of a 1952 Patricia Highsmith novel about a lesbian relationship. Maintaining a careful distance rather than going for melodrama in the negative sense of that word, the film was a bigger hit with critics and cinephiles than in theaters (where it underperformed) and with Academy members (who somewhat controversially failed to nominate it for Best Picture and Director), but its standing among those who fell under its spell has remained strong in the years since its release.

1575151918663.jpeg?w=3114

• Like 15
  • Astonished 2

Number 88

Spoiler

d9m3k7n.jpg

"Hey guys, you ever see that really old movie, Empire Strikes Back?"

148 points, 11 lists

directed by Anthony & Joe Russo | US | 2016

The Pitch: Disagreement over international oversight of the Avengers fractures them into opposing factions—one led by Steve Rogers and the other by Tony Stark.

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 12 Placements: 2

Metacritic: 75

Box Office: $1.153 billion WW

Awards: Kids' Choice Award for Favorite Butt-Kicker (Chris Evans)

BOT History: #23, Top Movies of 2016; #19, Top Comic Book Movies of All Time (2019)

Critic Opinion: "Posing serious questions about violence and vigilantism while reveling in both, Captain America: Civil War is overlong but surprisingly light on its feet. It builds upon the plotlines of previous Avengers outings, bringing together known marquee quantities and introducing the Black Panther and a new Spidey in winning fashion [...] Call it 'civil war' or call it brand extension; call it a 'cinematic universe' or a corporate behemoth—the latest Marvel extravaganza furthers the studio's cross-pollination of action franchises in a way that's sure to satisfy devotees." - Sheri Linden, The Hollywood Reporter

BOT Sez: "The Russos and screenwriters can turn the Marvel exposition mud into wine. The film builds splendidly, kind of owning its TV-like overstuffedness and structure of jumping between situations. Bucky or Accords would've streamlined the entire thing more - Marvel wants to have its cake and eat it too, and it mostly works actually. Cements the Cap films as the cornerstone of Marvel quality." - @Gopher

Commentary: I will politely abstain from this one.

183257_Eqyyk3lrD5_captain_america_civil_

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 13
  • Haha 13
  • ...wtf 2