charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Since there aren't really much of numbers to deal with, we all are doing one thing common i.e. watching Movies/Series when at home.

To make a thing out of it, in another forum I am member of, we have a 'Name & Rate the Movies You've Watched Last Week' weekly series, so starting it here.

Week 1: 04-10th April 2020: Page 1

Week 2: 11-17th April 2020: Page 6

Week 3: 18-24th April 2020: Page 12

Week 4: 25th April - 01 May 2020: Page 16

Week 5: 02-08 May 2020: Page 19

Week 6: 09-15 May 2020: Page 25

Week 7: 16-22 May 2020: Page 28

Week 8: 23-30 May 2020: Page 29

Week 9: 31 May - 05 June 2020: Page 30

Week 10: 06-12 June 2020: Page 32

Week 11: 13-19 June 2020: Page 34

Week 12: 20-26 June 2020: Page 36

Week 13: 27 June - 03 July 2020: Page 38

Week 14: 04-10 July 2020: Page 39

Week 15: 11-17 July 2020: Page 41

Week 16: 18-24 July 2020: Page 42

Week 17: 25-31 July 2020: Page 44

Week 18: 01-07 Aug 2020: Page 46

Week 19: 08-14 Aug 2020: Page 48

Week 20: 15-21 Aug 2020: Page 50

Week 21: 22-28 Aug 2020: Page 50

Week 22: 29 Aug - 04 Sep 2020: Page 50

Week 23: 05-11 Sep 2020: Page 52

Week 24: 12-18 Sep 2020: Page 53

Week 25: 19-25 Sep 2020: Page 54

Week 26: 26 Sep - 02 Oct 2020: Page 55

Week 27: 03-09 Oct 2020: Page 55

Week 28: 10-16 Oct 2020: Page 55

Week 29: 17-23 Oct 2020: Page 56

Let it flow as it go.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

Movies

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men's Chest: Rewatch. Just like the original, fun elements are all there especially in the start but towards the end the film start going farther from its core IMO. Still a solid Blockbuster film. 7/10
  2. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End: Also Rewatch. The third one is even less of first one and more of second one, which wasn't something I liked. Still a good closure to the main trilogy. 6/10
  3. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: This is weird. Contrary to popular belief found it really good actually. In fact best only to 'Curse of Black Pearl'. It started on mixed note but the 3rd act and ending in particular was really good. 8/10
  4. Pirates of the Carribean: Salzar's Revenge: This is most likely the last Jack Sparrow film in the franchise and it truly ends at a very somber note. Not really a satisfying end to the franchise but it wasn't hateful either like that of The Rise of Skywalker and Game of Thrones. Hector's sacrifice felt forced. Jack Sparrow felt out of its elements for most of the film. Still, the film has fun moments. 5/10
  5. Angrezi Medium (Hindi): Not really a fan of original, that felt artificial to me but this started on a good note but by the second half it turned into a lame cliched emotional-comedy. 3/10

Movie of the Week: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

TV Shows

1.  Money Heist S01-S04: This is where my most of the week went. I liked the first two seasons, had my nitpicks but overall I found it entertaining. Didn't like the start of 3rd season one bit. It felt forced and stretched but credit where due by the end of season it start getting better. Now coming to S04, pick up at high note of S03 but go down tide from there on. General consensus is that it get better in latter episodes but it didn't for me and I am about done with the series. 7/10 with quality going down every season.
Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

Found some of my old DVDs from my childhood.

Big Momma’s House 3 - Okay this is literally bad on some many ways but I have a lot of nostalgia from it and it’s literally a so bad it’s good film. C-

Shark Tale - Will Smith fish haunts my dreams. Also this film aged badly, like horrible badly, it felt even more like an executive made film than other animations. D

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban - I forgot about how much fun the early trilogy was and surprised how much one could get away with a PG back in the early 2000s. Excellent performances all around, with some truly exhilarating scenes. A

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 4

everything since last saturday. if it seems like a lot it's because i got a free week of amazon prime and i wanted to squeeze a lot out of it.

movies:

Shanghai Triad (1995) - 8/10

The Road Home (1999) - 9/10

Mad Max 2 (1981) - 7/10

Umberto D (1952) -7/10

Tag (2015) - 6/10

Creepy (2016) - 7/10

La Dolce Vita (1960) - 8/10

Tale of Cinema (2005) - 8/10

Juliet of the Spirits (1965) - 6/10

Dogville (2003) - 8/10

Il Postino (1995) - 5/10

Topkapi (1964) - 7/10

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985) - 6/10

Best of the week: The Road Home, pretty underrated among the Zhang Yimou canon, in fact I had never heard anything about it before but it might be my favourite movie I've seen of his. VERY simple love story but beautifully done. the main theme reminded me of the love theme from shrek

Worst of the week:: Il Postino, tepid Miramax 90s Oscar bait where Pablo Neruda teaches a mentally challenged postman how to get laid and love communism. but more boring than that sounds.

TV:

Mandalorian eps 4 & 5 - enjoying this show. live action samurai jack vibes.

Marvelous Mrs Maisel season 3 - Still enjoying it but it gets a little weaker every season. some of the supporting characters i feel like the show doesn't know what to do with anymore and the tour arc was a little too Green Book for its own good sometimes.

• Like 7

I think the only thing I've watched this past week is the first season of The Big Show Show and the Modern Family finale. Big Show Show was fine and cute enough as far as kid sitcoms go, and the Modern Family finale was enjoyable, though probably would have been better if the show ended a couple years earlier.

God I can't wait for school to be over.

• Like 4

Didn't watch much this week because I was binge-watching Community.

Never Rarely sometimes Always: 9/10

Underwater: 6/10 

What's Up Doc: 10/10

Community Season 1-4: First 3 seasons might geniunely be the 3 best seasons I've seen in a sitcom ever. 4th season is pretty meh but still has its moments and is better than the majority of the sitcom stuff I've seen before. Been kind of hard to watch Season 5 without Chevy Chase and also because I know that Donald Glover will leave this season (imo the two funniest characters in the show) but I'll try finishing Season 5 and watch 6 this week. 

Tiger King Episde 1 and 2: I guess I need to wait a while before the show gets crazy like others are saying but first two episodes are on the boring side. Watched about half of episode 3 and was still bored. Feel like they could have condensed this show into 4 episodes or something instead of 7 but hopefully it gets better.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

I think the only thing I've watched this past week is the first season of The Big Show Show and the Modern Family finale. Big Show Show was fine and cute enough as far as kid sitcoms go, and the Modern Family finale was enjoyable, though probably would have been better if the show ended a couple years earlier.

God I can't wait for school to be over.

I'm emphasizing the important part of your post.

For me, the last few weeks:

Death of Stalin -- bleak as shit but very funny

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters -- maybe Paul Schrader's best? stunning use of color and stylized moments, wonderful direction

Senna -- I don't know anything about F1 racing but this was wonderful (a touch hagiographic, perhaps?)

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night -- Man, so great. Almost nothing but style, but what style

The Hunger -- hadn't seen this in forever. It's visually pretty but otherwise mostly shit.

Four Lions -- I mentioned this elsewhere but it's very funny

Lady Bird -- 'twas good

In Transit -- the choice to update a 1940s story to contemporary Europe is very effective

Until the End of the World (DC) -- fantastic, though at 4:47 it's not exactly tautly paced. But so great in so many little unexpected ways

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I'm emphasizing the important part of your post.

For me, the last few weeks:

Death of Stalin -- bleak as shit but very funny

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters -- maybe Paul Schrader's best? stunning use of color and stylized moments, wonderful direction

Senna -- I don't know anything about F1 racing but this was wonderful (a touch hagiographic, perhaps?)

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night -- Man, so great. Almost nothing but style, but what style

The Hunger -- hadn't seen this in forever. It's visually pretty but otherwise mostly shit.

Four Lions -- I mentioned this elsewhere but it's very funny

Lady Bird -- 'twas good

In Transit -- the choice to update a 1940s story to contemporary Europe is very effective

Until the End of the World (DC) -- fantastic, though at 4:47 it's not exactly tautly paced. But so great in so many little unexpected ways

Allow me to return the favor

• Haha 2

Watched Tolkien today. It was ok.

Also finally going throught the final season of The Man in the High Castle, after finishing the most recent seasons of Money Heist and Ozark.

TIGER KING. 10/10. MUST SEE TV. JOE EXOTIC BAH GAWD.

Currently still watching a few weekly shows like Charmed, Westworld, Empire and Little Fires Everywhere.

• Like 2

Final Fantasy VII Remake: 9/10

had a blast playing this. 

The Invisible Man: I give it a Rental. Movie seems very lifeless but has some cool moments

Steven Universe Future: Wont rate.

It was admirable they tackled the subject of depression and trauma but its just too miserable. 

McMillions: Wont Rate.

There's way too many episodes of this show. It's a 90min special at the most. They've managed to stretch it out into 6 hours.

• Like 1

We talking about games as well?

Finished Resident Evil 2 Remake. It was an amazing and complex experience. One of the best games of last year and shows again why RE2 is one of the greatest of all time.

Currently playing Star Wars - Jedi: Fallen Order. It feels like a mix of classic Tomb Raider with giant tombs to explore and Uncharted/God of War with its fun gameplay and big setpieces. Also playing Dragon Quest XI Switch, which is a fun adventure JRPG that you can play bits here and there.

Resident Evil 3 Remake and Final Fantasy VII Remake currently waiting. Same with my insane backlog of PS4 and Switch games yet to touch.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Been reading books more than anything so I'll just list what I went through in the past couple of weeks or so:

In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Pilbrick - 4/5 - It's the one they based the movie on. Never saw the movie but it's a great story. The sea was angry that day, my friends.

Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin - 4.5/5 - Super interesting look into how humans evolved from the ground up (and how jerry-rigged we really are). Pretty easy to digest too for a layman like me.

Endurance by Alfred Lansing - 5/5 - Straight up one of the best books I've ever read. The Shackleton story is absolutely bugnut crazy and the fact that not a single one of those guys on the boat died is insane. Really gripping stuff.

The World Without Us - 3/5 - Has some interesting insights and info but kinda struggled to connect with it. Bit of a snoozer.

Once and Future Giants by Sharon Levy - 4/5 - Another real interesting one; goes in depth on how all the extinct beasties (from mammoths to diprotodons) influence the ecosystems of the world and how they've been impacted by the subsequent extinction of those beasties. Also grapples with why they all died (spoilers; it was probably us).

Currently reading Annals of the Former World by John McPhee; it's basically a collection of five books so it's got a fair bit of meat on it's bones but really, really enjoying it so far. Basically goes all in on the geology of the American continent. McPhee is a very talented writer; haven't read many non-fiction books that have such nice prose. Won a Pulitzer!

Also watched Hobbs and Shaw and it kinda sucked. Thing has, like, three third acts.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

TV Shows
1. Money Heist S01-S04: This is where my most of the week went. I liked the first two seasons, had my nitpicks but overall I found it entertaining. Didn't like the start of 3rd season one bit. It felt forced and stretched but credit where due by the end of season it start getting better. Now coming to S04, pick up at high note of S03 but go down tide from there on. General consensus is that it get better in latter episodes but it didn't for me and I am about done with the series. 7/10 with quality going down every season.

the series was originally going to be only 2 seasons (and end with the first heist) but after how Netflix saw how it skyrocketed in popularity they decided to milk it. I agree with part 4 being disappointing as hell (but at least part 3 had an amazing finale). loved the first 2 parts though.

I like to think of this series as the next the Prison Break, where first season and somewhat the 2nd were very good but then it kept going on & deteriorating after each season. (I didn't even finish season 5 of Prison Break bc of how medicore it became).

also apparently Money Heist is going to have parts 5 & 6 :bagoverhead:

btw if you're interested in something similar to Money Heist, check out Spike Lee's Inside Man. the majority of Money Heist part 1 was inspired by that movie. 

• Like 1

Movies

1. Troy - C+/C - felt REALLY long...although I did appreciate the lead actors:).

2. Slop 2 (the most appropriate acronym ever - aka Secret Life of Pets 2) - B-/C+ - I wrote about this one already, but the kids' were on point with "3 direct-to-tv shorts smushed together"

TV

1. Titans (DC Universe) Season 2 episodes 12 and 13 - 12 - fine / 13 - F - I don't understand how they could make a better season, and then have the worst closing episode to a season that I think I've ever seen.  I think my youngest edited it.  If you watch this show, just skip this episode.

2. The Boys (Amazon) Episodes 1-2 - B - Damn, they REALLY went there with this show.  Loved the ending to episode 2.  Hopefully, the rest of the season doesn't disappoint.

And, I watched Nancy Drew (guilty pleasure - B), Survivor (B), and Macgyver (why, yes, I enjoy reliving my youth - B-)...

This week, I'm watching The Caine Mutiny 1954 (assigned to our debate club as our ending activity to replace our original mock trial - I've never seen it, so I let my spouse assign it without my input...now I gotta see if we made a mistake:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

The Boys (Amazon) Episodes 1-2 - B - Damn, they REALLY went there with this show.  Loved the ending to episode 2.  Hopefully, the rest of the season doesn't disappoint

The Boys is really good. Season finale is cool as well. Looking forward to season 2.

• Like 1