charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Watched the first two episodes of Ratched and yikes. Great production values and Paulson is very good as always with what she's given (as is the rest of the overqualified cast) but it's essentially a season of American Horror Story disguised as a One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest origin story and nothing really interesting at that.

• Thanks 1

Week 24

12-18 September 2020

Movies

1. Incendies: Whatever happens in the story is a hard pill to swallow, but whatever happens in story is very hard hitting. 8/10.
  2. Prisoners: I wasn't entirely sold on Villeneuve in Incendies as I think the source material was too strong and it was not till the climax I liked the film so much. This one however, I was sold from the opening shot itself. I was so sorry for Alex, that poor kid. 8/10.
    Spoiler

Yet another film in which Paul Dano is pulp beaten. Poor Paul Dano.

3. Sicario: Not as great as the first two, but still pretty solid. 7/10.
  4. Northwood Pie: So it was finally available in India. On positive side of things, I liked Crispin and Sierra bit but the supporting cast was a big downer. I know it is a small project, and I hate to not like as much rest of you did. 3/10.

TV

1. The Umbrella Academy: This was praised by many of you here, and its about supes, so why not. I liked it, especially the first season. I like Five and Ben most, Klaus is fun too. Hated Vanya. This just felt like a bunch of X-men storylines, majorily Dark Phoenix. The whole time commission stuff is just messy and I think they should have ended things in S01. I didn't mind the S02 alot what I think it was not needed. I would have liked them to end the Apocalypse storyline in 1st season and then some world building in S02, which I guess they will do in S03, but that is going into Multiverse thing, not a fan of that because that hurts continuity more often than not and I am sucker for continuity. 7/10 for S01 and 6/10 for S02.
  2. The Boys S02E05: This was ugh. It is losing me. Let's just hope they land it well. It's mess after such a good S01.

PS. I hope at least somebody watched Tumbbad.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

1. The Boys S02E05: This was ugh. It is losing me. Let's just hope they land it well. It's mess after such a good S01.

The problem is that they're handling way too many characters and subplots within the same episode and it all loses any sort of weight. It really feels like nothing important has happened this season. Even Stormfront's introduction has no weight because she's never been focused on as a character.

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The problem is that they're handling way too many characters and subplots within the same episode and it all loses any sort of weight. It really feels like nothing important has happened this season. Even Stormfront's introduction has no weight because she's never been focused on as a character.

IMO The Boys group has lost their arc and are nothing to plot anymore. In last season Hughie and Butcher had their motivations, with Mother Milk and Frenchie in support. Now Hughie arc is done for and Butcher is lost cause. The only thing get going is Homelander and in last episode he was a mess.

6 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Week 24

12-18 September 2020

Movies

1. Incendies: Whatever happens in the story is a hard pill to swallow, but whatever happens in story is very hard hitting. 8/10.
  2. Prisoners: I wasn't entirely sold on Villeneuve in Incendies as I think the source material was too strong and it was not till the climax I liked the film so much. This one however, I was sold from the opening shot itself. I was so sorry for Alex, that poor kid. 8/10.
      Reveal hidden contents
  3. Sicario: Not as great as the first two, but still pretty solid. 7/10.
  4. Northwood Pie: So it was finally available in India. On positive side of things, I liked Crispin and Sierra bit but the supporting cast was a big downer. I know it is a small project, and I hate to not like as much rest of you did. 3/10.

TV

1. The Umbrella Academy: This was praised by many of you here, and its about supes, so why not. I liked it, especially the first season. I like Five and Ben most, Klaus is fun too. Hated Vanya. This just felt like a bunch of X-men storylines, majorily Dark Phoenix. The whole time commission stuff is just messy and I think they should have ended things in S01. I didn't mind the S02 alot what I think it was not needed. I would have liked them to end the Apocalypse storyline in 1st season and then some world building in S02, which I guess they will do in S03, but that is going into Multiverse thing, not a fan of that because that hurts continuity more often than not and I am sucker for continuity. 7/10 for S01 and 6/10 for S02.
  2. The Boys S02E05: This was ugh. It is losing me. Let's just hope they land it well. It's mess after such a good S01.

PS. I hope at least somebody watched Tumbbad.

Sad to hear about The Boys falling apart...I just finished Umbrella Academy (and am excited for the Season 3 arc giving it fresh direction - I thought Season 2 was as good as 1 b/c what it lost in plot "freshness", I thought it made up for with more standout characters with Ben and Lila joining Five, my favorite, and Klaus), and was waiting to start The Boys when it finished its season release

• Like 1

You should just S2 of the boys for yourself to make a decision.

Have enjoyed S2 so far. Haven't watched ep 5 yet though.

I think I'm  loving it Abit more than S1 tbh.

Have been watching raised by wolves on episode 6 now.

It's intriguing and IAM digging it and would like to see where it goes . But man campeon character is downright annoying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So I take it no one watched Tumbbad 😕

I admit...I failed.  It was our 1st learning week back, and I'm lucky I made it to today without killing anyone in my household, so I didn't have the attention span or energy to watch a movie (in a "this is so sad" moment, I fell asleep reading in bed with the lights on at 10:45pm last night, when I usually head to bed between midnight and 12:30am - that was my week to a T:)...

• Sad 1

I actually loved all the 5 episodes of Boys S2 absolute perfection in my opinion. They are weaving a very interesting storyline. 

Stormfront is very interesting character. I hate her but want to watch more of her. She is terrifying. Butcher and Homelander are their crowning jewel. 

I absolutely despise Hughie. One of the most annoying character ever. 

I've been a bit unwell this week so didn't watch much but I started rewatching some of the Walt Disney Treasure DVDs I have starting with the Black and White Mickey Mouse cartoons. I forget how much I enjoyed watching those as a kid and it's amazing to see how much Walt Disney is pushing the medium of animation in the 1920s and 1930s. 

• Sad 1