charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Watched Training Day the other night (sadly, for the first time).

7/10.

Powerhouse performance by Denzel Washington, for which he deservedly won the Academy Award for Best Actor. Very entertaining flick with a great premise.

• Like 1

Watched that Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt interactive movie tonight. Think it might have been better off as a regular feature length epilogue to the show but the interactive part is fun and I'll certainly check go back to see what happens when you make the other choices.

Also finished watching The Sinner. Biel season was definitely the best. Coon season was decent but the latest with Bomer was really lame, it abandons the mystery element for something more ridiculous. Don't know what the ratings were like but this is clearly a series of diminishing returns in terms of quality.

Was gonna check out the new season of Homecoming just for Janelle Monae but it sounds like it's not worth the time. In the middle of Upload which is a solid substitute for the just-concluded The Good Place.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Watched that Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt interactive movie tonight. Think it might have been better off as a regular feature length epilogue to the show but the interactive part is fun and I'll certainly check go back to see what happens when you make the other choices.

Also finished watching The Sinner. Biel season was definitely the best. Coon season was decent but the latest with Bomer was really lame, it abandons the mystery element for something more ridiculous. Don't know what the ratings were like but this is clearly a series of diminishing returns in terms of quality.

Was gonna check out the new season of Homecoming just for Janelle Monae but it sounds like it's not worth the time. In the middle of Upload which is a solid substitute for the just-concluded The Good Place.

Oh no...I just put Homecoming on my list for after Jack Ryan...it looked good, and I figured 2 seasons are doable...hmmm, may at least give season 1 a go...

Week 7

16 - 22 May 2020

Another low week.
Movies

1. Scoob: Good animation, very little nostalgia for me in overall simple and boring film. 4/10
  2. Sufna: Rewatch. My experience was similar as previous rewatch with otherwise okay film lacking re-watch ability but watching it with company of relatives helped it. They liked the film. 6/10
  3. Parasite: Rewatch. Nothing to add or less from my previous watch. The company, not into foreign language film, so had to push them initially, though they were fully into by the time Jessica is hired. Couch scene was bit awkward, overall they liked it. 8/10
  4. Hell or High Water: The motive behind robbery was dumb in otherwise slow paced film, which gets intersting in 2nd act and again go down a bit in the end. 5/10

Movie of the Week: Parasite

TV

1. Rick and Morty: S04E08: Just in the starting of episode, was thinking that Rick has gone soft and Morty is growing up and we had this episode with Rick showing he is still the grand daddy. I watched the Morty doing time thing in morning on Twitter so that cheapened the experience during the episode but overall this was finally a good episode after 3 average episodes.
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Oh no...I just put Homecoming on my list for after Jack Ryan...it looked good, and I figured 2 seasons are doable...hmmm, may at least give season 1 a go...

The first season (the one with Julia Roberts) is really good and worth watching. This new one with Monae sounds like it's gonna go down the same path as Season 2 of True Detective where hardly anyone will remember there even was a second season in a few years.

• Like 2

Happy Feet 2 (2011) - 7/10

The Conversation (1974) - 10/10

The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) - 8/10

Things to Come (2016) - 8/10

My Favorite Wife (1940) - 7/10

Angel Face (1953) - 9/10

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - 7/10

good week no duds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:
  1. Rick and Morty: S04E08: Just in the starting of episode, was thinking that Rick has gone soft and Morty is growing up and we had this episode with Rick showing he is still the grand daddy. I watched the Morty doing time thing in morning on Twitter so that cheapened the experience during the episode but overall this was finally a good episode after 3 average episodes.

The season as a whole's been a pretty big step down from before

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

Things to Come (2016) - 8/10

I have meaning to see this, heard it's one of Huppert's best since the piano teacher. (I liked her more in Elle though both that & Things to Come came out in 2016 but only Elle got awards attention)

Let’s see I’ll  probably forget a few but 

Joker-I’ve seen this twice now.  I think I’m good.  No need to revisit again.

Revenge of the Sith-The first 20 minutes is still pretty goofy.   But having the last four episodes Clone Wars in my mind made this a pretty rewarding watch overall.  

Escape from New York-Might be my “least” favorite Russell/Carpenter team up.    But still a great watch

Empire Strikes Back-It remains one of my two favorite movies ever.

TV

Rewatch:  Finished Justified season 1.  Really picked up towards the end.  Season 2 I just started, this show really took off

• Like 1

finally got back into regular movie-watching after only seeing like 10 movies in April and first half of May. a week heavy on pre-Code, screwball and Barbara Stanwyck

Night Nurse (1931) - 7/10

The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1932) - 8/10

Baby Face (1933) - 7/10

Hands Across the Table (1935) - 8/10

Easy Living (1937) - 8/10

Midnight (1939) - 8/10 (but really the first 75 mins a solid 9 and the last 20 a 6)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

@filmlover @CJohn

I just finished the first two episodes of Hollywood. I’m finally binge watching it. I fucking love it. I love that Ryan Murphy took Netflix’s $300 million and is producing nothing but unabashed, queer fantasy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cap said:

@filmlover @CJohn

I just finished the first two episodes of Hollywood. I’m finally binge watching it. I fucking love it. I love that Ryan Murphy took Netflix’s $300 million and is producing nothing but unabashed, queer fantasy.

I had a great time with it. The characters are really fun to watch and follow and the cast is beautiful.

• Astonished 1

9 hours ago, Cap said:

@filmlover @CJohn

Murphy knows what you like, unlike Apple (and the disrespect they showed towards Legend Evans putting him in that flop miniseries).

Movies:

The Lovebirds - 3/10

The Great Escape - 7/10 (kinda dissapointed me tbh)

TV Shows:

Mostly just Lost again. As I said before, I really enjoyed all the seasons I saw and the finale is amazing. Also saw the latests episodes of I Know This Much is True and Mrs. America but both episodes aren't really interesting enough to talk about.

Games:

Uncharted (replay) - finished it and game's a lot shorter than I remembered. Also as I said before, very clunky. 

Uncharted 2 (replay) - Much better than the first game and the different locations also makes it so much more interesting. Also much much more varied shootout sections (the shootout sections in the first game are a chore) and the train sequence is still amazing too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’m working through Uncharted 2 and I’m... less enthusiastic than you @lorddemaxus. It’s fine. 

It's nowhere near as good as Uncharted 4 (which is easily the best in terms of story and gameplay) but I love the city and train chapters. That entire part has momentum and energy that the franchise hasn't been able to replicate until the Madagascar section in Uncharted 4.