charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Run finale was pretty weak. Thought it would lead to another season but nope, it's the season finale. The other episodes were a lot of fun but just a really odd and unsatisfying ending (Plot Against America's ending was also unsatisfying so this seems to be a HBO thing).

First Man - So well-made. Knocks it out the park in every department. I would have imagined the Academy Awards would be all over it, given its subject matter. I would also rank it above all the other space movies that have come out in recent years.

Hereditary - One of the best horror movies of the past 20 years. Rarely do you see a horror film that blends art-house with genre tropes so well.

• Like 4

The Half of It - Pretty cute! Don't know what else to say, really

Man on the Moon - Pretty good, but felt a bit pedestrian for a subject as wild and boundary-pushing as Andy Kaufman. Great R.E.M. songs though.

Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond - Really, really entertaining. Carrey sounds equal parts delusional and profound, but by the end of it it's a pretty touching look at the lines between the actor and the subject.

The Truman Show (rewatch) - Just a perfect movie. Top 3 of all time for me.

• Like 3

Watched The Muppets (2011). Charming enough for what it is, but these things aren’t really my jam. 

Also saw The Bad Sleep Well (1960). It’s a lot of fun to see Mifune play a corporate executive out for revenge. Kurosawa’s blocking and framing is so great in this. It’s a little melodramatic in spots. The ending hits really hard. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 2

Uncut Gems is still thrilling the second time around.

Spoiler

I was just dreading that last scene

The Platform on Netflix is fun. Ending was hysterical though, and not intentionally.

The Last Dance is great, probably the best thing you can watch currently airing

This season of Rick and Morty has been good

That is all

• Like 1

Halfway through I Know This Much Is True, you gotta hand it to HBO for going ahead airing a show built on the foundation of "if you think your life sucks, meet these guys" at a time when real pain and loss is so prevalent in the world. It's just Ruffalo's characters enduring a neverending series of tragedies with zero levity to balance it out. Been a while since I've seen a show or movie that seemed to go out of its way to make the viewer feel as shitty as possible (which isn't a slight against the show itself).

• Like 2

Movies

The Dirty Dozen-Probably my favorite of a strong batch of 60’s era WWII flicks. One of those films where I’ll just start watching no matter what scene it’s at.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea-Still pretty cool

Uncut Gems-Yes it’s well made.   But it’s a lot to take in

Bolt-It was cute 

TV

The Witcher-First episode started out slow.  But afterwards I kind of dug it.   Cavil was delightfully hammy.

Rewatch-The Sopranos.  First two episodes.  Still good.  Though it was interesting in the pilot to see James Gandolfni had not really adapted Tony’s voice.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 1

Made a huge mistake of watching the theatrical cut of Little Shop of Horrors. I ended up watching the last 30 minutes of the director's cut after I watched the theatrical cut. The ending of the theatrical cut is pretty awful while the director cut's ending is hilarious and also is brilliantly executed. Pretty easily lifted what would've been a low 7, maybe a 6/10 movie to an 8.

• Like 1

Agents of SHIELD had a pretty solid premiere for its final season. Though the show probably peaked around Season 4 it's still nice to see the show back. 

Spoiler

I assume with the whole time travel approach this season is gonna have some similarities with Endgame and Legends of Tomorrow 

• Like 2

Watched the final episode of Mrs. America last night. Great ending to an overall very strong miniseries that shows us how far we've come while also reminding us we've still got work to do. Wouldn't be surprised if it ended up winning the Limited Series Emmy (or at least provided a real challenge for Watchmen).

Cate Blanchett is gonna win every award for this and deserves it. Tremendous performance capturing what an evil person Schlafly was while still allowing her humanity to shine through every now and then (in particular that quiet little moment where she realizes her son is gay). Her last scene was perfect. It's a pretty fantastic cast overall though. Rose Byrne, Sarah Paulson, Margo Martindale, and John Slattery are all sure to get Emmy nominations and even the smaller players added to the whole too. There honestly isn't a single weak link: projects like this are the reason why Ensemble awards exist.

• Like 1

Last shot was of Schlafly was honestly kinda cathertic and the epilogue was pretty great too. I felt like they didn't really give satisfying ending with the sister and gay son subplots and some of the characters are completely forgotten about due to the number of characters this show deals with but those are somewhat minor quibbles. Still a really engaging show. Overall I'd say it was a great miniseries.

Also, I hated the white supremacist woman with glasses (who joined forces with Schlafly) more than any of the other anti-ERA characters.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Last shot was of Schlafly was honestly kinda cathertic and the epilogue was pretty great too. I felt like they didn't really give satisfying ending with the sister and gay son subplots and some of the characters are completely forgotten about due to the number of characters this show deals with but those are somewhat minor quibbles. Still a really engaging show. Overall I'd say it was a great miniseries.

Also, I hated the white supremacist woman with glasses (who joined forces with Schlafly) more than any of the other anti-ERA characters.

It says a lot about how great Blanchett is that she actually made me feel a tiny bit sorry for her Schlafly (whose efforts ended up being for no personal gain).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 7:20 AM, filmlover said:

Watched the final episode of Mrs. America last night. Great ending to an overall very strong miniseries that shows us how far we've come while also reminding us we've still got work to do. Wouldn't be surprised if it ended up winning the Limited Series Emmy (or at least provided a real challenge for Watchmen).

Cate Blanchett is gonna win every award for this and deserves it. Tremendous performance capturing what an evil person Schlafly was while still allowing her humanity to shine through every now and then (in particular that quiet little moment where she realizes her son is gay). Her last scene was perfect. It's a pretty fantastic cast overall though. Rose Byrne, Sarah Paulson, Margo Martindale, and John Slattery are all sure to get Emmy nominations and even the smaller players added to the whole too. There honestly isn't a single weak link: projects like this are the reason why Ensemble awards exist.

I caught the last episode a couple days ago as well. Loved the series as a whole and hope it slays at the Emmys.

Cate Blanchett is the clear, obvious MVP; it’s a role that so easily could have gone the way of caricature, but Blanchett gives a nuanced performance where the character feels all the more terrifying because she feels so human, as opposed to, say, a cartoonish Dolores Umbridge type. It’s my new favorite work of hers.

And as always, Sarah Paulson sneaks up on you with a performance that’s pretty good most of the way through, then gets elevated to something really special toward the end. 

so far the least posts in a week in this thread with just 1.5 page so far.

Week 1: 04-10th April 2020: 6 Pages

Week 2: 11-17th April 2020: 6 Pages

Week 3: 18-24th April 2020: 4 Pages

Week 4: 25th April - 01 May 2020: 3 Pages

Week 5: 02-08 May 2020: 6 Pages

Week 6: 09-15 May 2020: 3 Pages

Week 7: 16-22 May 2020: 1 Page

Edited by charlie Jatinder

Movies

A Star is Born 1954 version-Thought it went too long.   And I’ve never been a fan of Judy Garland though I admit she was good in this.   James Mason was great though.

My Neighbor Tortoro-Very cute

• Like 2

Week 8: 23-30 May 2020

Movies

1. About Time: A nice film about time travel, a good time travel concept too and I love the time travel thing except Endgame where I felt time travel cheapened the Infinity War. Anyhow, was surprised with the critical reception of film but audience ratings are good as the film is. 8/10
  2. Weathering With You: Takes some time to settle in unlike Your Name and 5 Centimeters Per Second but by the second half of film it gets pretty good. As usual Shinkai's animation is beautiful. 7/10.
  3. Reservoir Dogs: Had this on watch list for a long time, finally watched it this week and it was awesome. 8/10

TV

1. Betaal: Usually I don't watch Indian series, trailer was ehh but SRK producing it, so gave it a chance and Another shitshow from Netflix India. Superficial, bad acting in this wannabe horror show with all the usual cliches of an operation on Haunted place. Don't bother watching. 1/10
  2. Seinfeld: S3E2-E9: Resumed it after some time, the first 2-3 episodes were trying too hard to make people laugh and terribly failing. Seinfeld's acting didn't help either. It did get better for couple of episodes but then again Can't-stand-ya. Will give it a try after some time. No rating
  3. Brooklyn 99: S6E5-E8: I binged it till S5 few years back and loved it, so when it returned for S6, I was excited but the first 4-5 episodes were Boooooring, except for Hitchcock and Skully, was bad but good. So resumed it, took me some time to get into it again but was mostly entertaining. No rating
  4. Paatal Lok: Usually I don't watch Indian series, trailer was ehh but this series created some burns to Indian right wing, so gave it a chance and I will let this thread speak for. 
  5. Rick and Morty: S4E9: The best of second half of S4 so far. Back to Back two good episodes and we are back to the best running comedy series. 9/10

Content of the Week: All the Movies and Rick and Morty

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

The Great McGinty (1940) - 7/10 bordering on 8

Arise, My Love (1940) - 8/10

Christmas in July (1940) - 8/10

*It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books (1988) - 6/10

*Dazed and Confused (1993) - 10/10

*Before Sunrise (1995) - 10/10

*rewatch

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 7:39 AM, The Stingray said:

First Man - So well-made. Knocks it out the park in every department. I would have imagined the Academy Awards would be all over it, given its subject matter. I would also rank it above all the other space movies that have come out in recent years.

Hereditary - One of the best horror movies of the past 20 years. Rarely do you see a horror film that blends art-house with genre tropes so well.

Agree completely with you re: Hereditary. One of the best horror movies in recent memory for me. Genuinely scary and nerve wracking.