charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Police Story is a masterclass in action-comedy. Really entertaining for a film where the plot really only starts moving in the last half-hour.

Edit: I just realised that I saw the 2013 remake years ago which was pretty unremarkable.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

Nearly done with Season 2 of The Office and enjoying it much more now than when I first started.

On Season 3 of my rewatch of Star Wars Rebels and honestly I feel people who complain about the quality of the animation only watched the first season cause the animation is pretty damn good now. Finished Season 1 of my rewatch of Arrested Development and it was as funny as I remembered.

By the end of this month I plan to have watched the first seasons of Umbrella Academy and The Boys. Currently the only shows I'm following that are ongoing are Agents of SHIELD and What We Do In The Shadows.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

AC broke yesterday, so I binged the end of Jack Ryan Season 2...not as good as Season 1 (and a little more unbelievable), but I was still hooked...so whenever Season 3 gets made, I'll be on the bandwagon to watch it.

Now, to find another show - maybe Homecoming, maybe Hunters - to watch while I keep waiting for my spouse to go back to episode 3 of Stranger Things.  It's like he can watch 1 show a week, and with Stargirl now on, that's it...sigh...

PS - In another, "it's good to be investing in large expense items right now", I'll be replacing my HVAC system entirely for $2.5K less than the quote I got 5 years ago (same system quoted now and then)...I'm thinking in a month or two, this won't be the case as the folks get back to all the businesses they normally serve (my guy told me it was really slow b/c he does mostly corporate work...but there hasn't been any...thus my deal...which I took in about 10 seconds:)...although that's the end of my money this year, so I'd really appreciate everything else in my house and life not breaking!  My back doors are now on the "next year" list...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Gone through Miyazaki's filmography. Had seen them all before except Castle of Cagliostro

The Castle of Cagliostro- 3.5/5

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind- 4.5/5

Castle in the Sky- 4.5/5

My Neighbor Totoro- 4/5

Kiki's Delivery Service- 4/5

Porco Rosso- 4.5/5

Princess Mononoke- 4.5/5

Spirited Away- 4/5

Howl's Moving Castle- 4/5

Ponyo- 3.5/5

The Wind Rises- 4.5/5

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 10:33 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Police Story is a masterclass in action-comedy. Really entertaining for a film where the plot really only starts moving in the last half-hour.

Just added it to my watch-list on HBO Max. What other films should I add?

Didn't do this last week so here it is for the last two weeks:

Midnight Run - 9/10

Little Shop of Horrors - 7/10

Raiders of the Lost Ark (rewatch) - 10/10

Temple of Doom (rewatch) - 9/10

The Last Crusade (rewatch) - 10/10

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (rewatch) - 8/10

Constantine - 6/10

Umbrellas of Cherbourg - 6/10

West Side Story - 9/10

Police Story - 10/10

The Killer - 8/10

TV Shows:

Avatar The Last Airbender (rewatch kinda) - Watched about a quarter of the show on cable as a kid during reruns but I never was able to watch the reast of the first two seasons and the entirety of the final season until last week. Maybe the best kids show I've ever seen. Just such a beautiful and funny show. I honestly can't wait to watch it again. Now I'm trying to do a rewatch of Korra (a show I've seen in its entirety during its original run). 10/10

Legend of Korra Season 1 Episode 1 and 2 - Good introduction episodes. Tenzin is a lot funnier than I remembered.

Mrs America - Pretty good finale. Overall show gets an 8/10

Run - A very underwhelming finale that brings down an actually pretty good show considerable down. If it has a good finale, it would've been an 8/10 type show but I give it a 6/10. I'm really confused as to why they didn't give this 2 more episodes which it really needed.

I Know This Much is True Episode 3 - Another really tense episode.

Space Force Season 1 - I actually found parts of it kind of enjoyable. Ben Schwartz was consistently hilarious in this and I actually laughed a lot watching episode 2. The rest of the show is pretty boring with some really bad political commentary and a bunch of unfunny jokes (although I did chuckle more than I expected). Also tonally all over the place. The show should've been much more cynical (like Veep) instead of trying to tug at the audience's heartstrings. Still with that ending, I'm still pretty intrigued to see what they do next season. 5/10

Games:

Uncharted 2 (replay) - Finished the game. The stuff past the train sequence is fine and the final boss was annoying. 

Uncharted 3 (replay) - Another really fun entry in the series. Mansion and boat chapters were the best imo. The plane sequence is also still more exhilirating to watch than 99% of modern day action movies too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Just added it to my watch-list on HBO Max. What other films should I add?

I know Umbrellas of Cherbourg is loved by a lot of people (eventhough I'm wasn't a big fan myself), Little Shop of Horrors is pretty good too (don't forget to watch the director's cut which is in the extras section). Jake also recommended The Young Girls of Rocherfort which is also on HBO Max. Haven't watched much else yet though since I spent time watching TV shows and rewatching the Indiana Jones series instead.

• Like 2

So, before watching another Amazon original, I decided I needed to put my Netflix subscription to use, and remembered a few of you mentioned The Umbrella Academy.  I started the 1st episode today...I'm not totally hooked yet, but it's a promising start.  Although, supers is almost always a promising start for me:).  But, I'm gonna try the full season, I think...

I watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire in theaters today. Yes, my first time in theaters since early March. It was a great way to come back. It was a fantastic story with amazing cinematography and terrific lead performances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Didn't do this last week so here it is for the last two weeks:

Midnight Run - 9/10

Little Shop of Horrors - 7/10

Raiders of the Lost Ark (rewatch) - 10/10

Temple of Doom (rewatch) - 9/10

The Last Crusade (rewatch) - 10/10

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (rewatch) - 8/10

Constantine - 6/10

Umbrellas of Cherbourg - 6/10

West Side Story - 9/10

Police Story - 10/10

The Killer - 8/10

TV Shows:

Avatar The Last Airbender (rewatch kinda) - Watched about a quarter of the show on cable as a kid during reruns but I never was able to watch the reast of the first two seasons and the entirety of the final season until last week. Maybe the best kids show I've ever seen. Just such a beautiful and funny show. I honestly can't wait to watch it again. Now I'm trying to do a rewatch of Korra (a show I've seen in its entirety during its original run). 10/10

Legend of Korra Season 1 Episode 1 and 2 - Good introduction episodes. Tenzin is a lot funnier than I remembered.

Mrs America - Pretty good finale. Overall show gets an 8/10

Run - A very underwhelming finale that brings down an actually pretty good show considerable down. If it has a good finale, it would've been an 8/10 type show but I give it a 6/10. I'm really confused as to why they didn't give this 2 more episodes which it really needed.

I Know This Much is True Episode 3 - Another really tense episode.

Space Force Season 1 - I actually found parts of it kind of enjoyable. Ben Schwartz was consistently hilarious in this and I actually laughed a lot watching episode 2. The rest of the show is pretty boring with some really bad political commentary and a bunch of unfunny jokes (although I did chuckle more than I expected). Also tonally all over the place. The show should've been much more cynical (like Veep) instead of trying to tug at the audience's heartstrings. Still with that ending, I'm still pretty intrigued to see what they do next season. 5/10

Games:

Uncharted 2 (replay) - Finished the game. The stuff past the train sequence is fine and the final boss was annoying. 

Uncharted 3 (replay) - Another really fun entry in the series. Mansion and boat chapters were the best imo. The plane sequence is also still more exhilirating to watch than 99% of modern day action movies too.

Midnight Run. Bravo 

• Like 1

I went to see two movies to theaters today. First was

giphy.gif

It was a lot of fun and I had a really good time with it. It feels like a movie made in the early 2000s. Vin Diesel looked fucking huge. The second movie was

2babd6650fba49d6612ccfae3713e2ff32862beb

One of my favorite movies of 2020 so far. Really emotional with a fantastic leading performance from Ben Affleck.

• Like 3

Finished Lawrence of Arabia and the first two hours of the movie is top 10 material. I've rarely been as awe-inspired as I was watching this film and O'Toole definitely gives one of the best performances I've ever seen. Also much more complex (espescially the way it treats Lawrence's relationship with both the Arabs and the British) and heartbreaking than I expected. The 2nd half of the movie is still amazing but also a bit messy and repetitive compared to the first half. Still, this will probably go up as one of my favourites of all time.

I honestly can't believe a film like this was made all the way in the 60s. Doubt anyone can make a movie as majestic as this even today (maybe 1 or 2 modern-day directors can).

Edit: Netflix's 4k label on this feels like a lie. The bitrate was absolutely horrible and it looked closer to 1080p than 4K.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Edit: Netflix's 4k label on this feels like a lie. The bitrate was absolutely horrible and it looked closer to 1080p than 4K.

resolution and bitrate are quite different, I have no doubt that Netflix simply is streaming low bitrate 4K (an error to do so, a 720p with a similar bitrate being probably a better choice but they do because clients are paying extra).

On a 55 inch seeing a difference between similar bitrate 1080p and 4K isn't obvious except being sitting at less than 5 feet from the screen, but in general people prefer the 1080p imagine:

https://www.tek.no/test/i/wP06nA/blindtest-4k

Your movie theater screen is often 2K after all, even Imax one.

Netflix 1080p could look better than their current 4K stream, but a nice 25 mbs (or 30-40-50-60-80 Mbits) 1080p would be harder to sell than a lesser looking 25Mbits 4K option marketing wise.

Edited by Barnack

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

resolution and bitrate are quite different, I have no doubt that Netflix simply is streaming low bitrate 4K (an error to do so, a 720p with a similar bitrate being probably a better choice but they do because clients are paying extra).

On a 55 inch seeing a difference between similar bitrate 1080p and 4K isn't obvious except being sitting at less than 5 feet from the screen, but in general people prefer the 1080p imagine:

https://www.tek.no/test/i/wP06nA/blindtest-4k

Your movie theater screen is often 2K after all, even Imax one.

My TV is 55 inch and I saw Ghostbusters and Close Encounters in 4k (both also on Netflix) a few weeks ago and they definitely looked much better than than this film did. Lawrence of Arabia looked borderline 720p at times (much more blurry than I expected and I couldn't even see the film grain 90% of the time). I hope to get this movie properly on 4k blu-ray or something because I was dissapointed by the bad 4K on Netflix.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

My TV is 55 inch and I saw Ghostbusters and Close Encounters in 4k (both also on Netflix) a few weeks ago and they definitely looked much better than than this film did. Lawrence of Arabia looked borderline 720p at times (much more blurry than I expected and I couldn't even see the film grain 90% of the time). I hope to get this movie properly on 4k blu-ray or something because I was dissapointed by the bad 4K on Netflix.

Netflix stream in many country is terrible, but it is not necessarily because they play on resolution.

A 30 Mbs 720p stream would not look blurry at all on a 55 inch (nor a movie theater screen).

There is no limit on how ugly a 4K movie can look you can compress it to be way less good looking than an dvd and we have never seen just how good a 720p could look either. Unlike sound we didn't push the quality of digital display media transfert to it's maximum.

Some of netflix and other streaming lately went under DVD quality.

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

I went to see two movies to theaters today. First was

giphy.gif

It was a lot of fun and I had a really good time with it. It feels like a movie made in the early 2000s. Vin Diesel looked fucking huge. The second movie was

2babd6650fba49d6612ccfae3713e2ff32862beb

One of my favorite movies of 2020 so far. Really emotional with a fantastic leading performance from Ben Affleck.

That's three movies in theaters since reopening. CJohn to COVID-19:

Taraji Phenson Boy Bye GIF - TarajiPhenson BoyBye Sass GIFs

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I will try to see two more on Friday: Onward and My Spy.

Onward was fantastic! It's the last movie I saw before theatres closed and I just picked up the blu ray.