charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Watched the Eurovision movie. It’s ok got a few laughs out of me. Definitely too long and Ferrell’s shtick is pretty tired but Rachel McAdams is the best comedic actress rn. the songs are legit pretty good too.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 6

watched the 3rd and final season of Netflix's Dark. this was the craziest time travel show I've ever seen, hard to believe it had a good ending. I  think the fact that the story-telling was done in a unconventional manner makes the last couple of eps work so much better. 9.5/10

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

I went to see two movies in theaters today.

The first was

cd639f4f5dbb0fed26af008c505bfe71.jpg

Ramen Shop, a cute and sweet little Singapure movie that is an effective crowd pleasing winner with a great cast, amazing looking food and a touching story.

The second was

Pixar's+Onward.gif

The most recent Pixar movie might not be one of their best, but it is a fun adventure with a very emotional moment at the end that made me tear up a bit. 

Am I the only one going to theaters here?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I assume there is a sense of great jealousy sweeping across America at the fact Australia is in Eurovision and the US isn’t.

you should totally let us in just so you can give us zero points every year 😂

15 hours ago, DeeCee said:

The funniest joke is the fact the U.K. are hosts. 

I LEGIT was like... LOL WHAT? 

It’s even better when there’s the throwaway line at the party about well she’s from the UK so zero points. Maybe this happens in an alternative universe where Scotland gets its independence? You know, like 2025. 

I really enjoyed all of the cameos, but I was very much like to where is Sax Guy?!

Movies: 

HTTYD: 9/10 Probably the best Dreamworks movie other than Prince of Egypt and Shrek 2

HTTYD 2: 8/10 Very good sequel with some issues regarding the villain

HTTYD 3: 8/10 Same as above with a weaker plot but the ending makes up for it

Edge of Tomorrow: 8.5/10 Though sad we probably won't get a sequel I don't really feel the need for it.

TV:

The Boys: 8/10 Not sure the concept of "superheroes are actually terrible" can be done that much better than this show. Not really a story I'm all that interested in unlike most people I suspect but execution wise it's great. Can't wait for Season 2.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cap said:

you should totally let us in just so you can give us zero points every year 😂

I LEGIT was like... LOL WHAT? 

It’s even better when there’s the throwaway line at the party about well she’s from the UK so zero points. Maybe this happens in an alternative universe where Scotland gets its independence? You know, like 2025. 

I really enjoyed all of the cameos, but I was very much like to where is Sax Guy?!

Another scenario is that Australia had won the previous year and because we can’t host we had sold hosting rights to the UK. 

That would have been a good angle for a running gag. I’m surprised there wasn’t a single joke about Australia participating. 

• Like 1

The Firm. So aggresively 90s it's no surprise it has been so forgotten compared to other peak Cruise blockbusters. It's definately way too long and boring but I liked some parts especially the climax where it's Cruise just running around in suit and briefcase and performing gymnastics for some reason to defeat the villains.

The Lovebirds. Classic case of two hilarious people being stuck in a movie half as funny as they actually are.

She's Gotta Have It. Pretty great and very hot movie, the only thing that hasn't aged that well is the way it kinda waves off what happens near the end.

Murder Mystery. I might be turning into a Sandler apologist post Uncut Gems but this was .....decent? Definately the best Happy Madison movie in over a decade for whatever that's worth.

Searching. Very good movie and I think what elevates it for me above being just a cool experiment is what might turn off a lot of people. I thought it started getting stale halfway through but then it kept piling on the twists until it crossed into ludicrous territory. Managed to be pretty fun while also maintaining an emotional core all the way through.

Eurovision: Fire Saga. Not as funny as I had hoped but it was pretty decent. McAdams kills it and should finally being given a comedy all to herself after this and Game Night, and that party song-along was a legit iconic moment. Also just retroactively award Eurovision 2020 to Dan Stevens since it got canceled.

Rewatch.

The Warriors. Haven't seen it since my teens but it remains a near masterpiece. And it wouldn't be half as great if everyone wasn't dressed like shitty boy bands. That entire late 70s-early 80s Walter Hill period is low-key one of the best director streaks ever.

• Like 3

Been watching a lot of Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung stuff this weekend and they're both amazing actors that I'm kinda surprised didn't ever break out into Hollywood. And their English is pretty good too so not really a language barrier.

And In the Mood for Love is a masterpiece. Haven't been this invested in a romantic movie since Before Sunset. Can't wait to watch 2046 soon.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Been watching a lot of Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung stuff this weekend and they're both amazing actors that I'm kinda surprised didn't ever break out into Hollywood. And their English is pretty good too so not really a language barrier.

As far as Tony is concerned they were apparently courting him to come over to Hollywood for years but he kept turning them down because the parts just weren't good enough. so it's weird that he's finally made the turn playing the mandarin in Shang Chi but i guess tony wants a new pool.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

As far as Tony is concerned they were apparently courting him to come over to Hollywood for years but he kept turning them down because the parts just weren't good enough. so it's weird that he's finally made the turn playing the mandarin in Shang Chi but i guess tony wants a new pool.

Yeah, playing another one-dimensional superhero villain feels like a waste of talents and especially his charisma.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

All this talk of Hong Kong Cinema made me think about A Better Tomorrow for the first time in years, went to look for a trailer on YouTube and the whole thing is on there with English subs, will be watching that sometime this week. Speaking of greats from that region Leslie Cheung was a phenomenal actor and singer it’s really unfortunate that he passed away especially with the circumstances surrounding his death. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

it's weird seeing people using the mcu and "not good enough roles" in the same sentence.

Ah yes how could we forget all those iconic, rich villain roles that were so beautifully tailored to the talents of Mads Mikkelsen, Jude Law, Guy Pearce, Christopher Eccleston, Daniel Bruhl, Corey Stoll, Lee Pace...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Ah yes how could we forget all those iconic, rich villain roles that were so beautifully tailored to the talents of Mads Mikkelsen, Jude Law, Guy Pearce, Christopher Eccleston, Daniel Bruhl, Corey Stoll, Lee Pace...

if there were "enough good roles" in the MCU you'd think they could've at least had a couple of them for Glenn Close or Michelle Pfeiffer idk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1