charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

New weekend, new trip to the theaters. Today I saw...

0010145.jpg

A sleeky thriller very well shot with fantastic performances from his cast, The Burnt Orange Heresy also has a strong script and Mick Jagger having the time of his life with his extended cameo. It was a big surprise and it was very entertaining. 

Besides this one, I also saw...

MV5BZjI4MGJmNWUtZDFlNy00OTMzLWEyZWMtMDg4

Even with such an amazing cast, Wasp Network is a bit of a mess, and a boring one. It has way too many characters and things become a bit too hard to follow. I was expecting a better movie.

• Like 1

Only Angels have Wings is pretty great. The Kid might honestly go down as one of my favourite characters of all time. Only thing I didn't care about was the romance between Grant and Arthur (although I did really enjoy the interactions between both characters, I just couldn't buy that they'd fall in love with each other so quickly).

• Like 3

Palm Springs (2020) was pretty cool, one of those high concept indies that keep its energy through out the whole thing. I'm pretty sure this idea was done multiple times before but i l really liked how heartfelt and feel good it got towards the end. there's an important mid-credits scene at the end btw, almost missed it

out of this weekend's new releases that I have seen (Old Guard, Relic, Palm Springs) this one i enjoyed the most, might see First Cow tmw

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Only Angels have Wings is pretty great. The Kid might honestly go down as one of my favourite characters of all time. Only thing I didn't care about was the romance between Grant and Arthur (although I did really enjoy the interactions between both characters, I just couldn't buy that they'd fall in love with each other so quickly).

Glad you dug it. I can see that re: the romance which does require a little going along with, personally I fully believe that she'd become smitten with him whereas on his part you pretty much have to read emerging feelings into small details and gestures (his appreciation of her professionalism at the piano, openness in their subsequent talk over drinks, etc) and buy that he's trying to suppress them under the stoic exterior until he finally can't. And yeah Kid is the best. Probably my favorite character here which is no small feat with this ensemble. The first time I watched this, I loved being in the company of these people so much that I then rewatched it again two more nights in a row. So far it's the only film to make me do that as an adult (so in the past 8-9 years).

• Like 2

The Three Caballeros (1944) - 7/10. In which Donald Duck gets uncontrollably horny for live-action Latin American women who keep ignoring, rejecting and mocking him, resulting in his whole world going from normal to surreal psychedelic sugar-rush crazyland. A surprisingly relatable quarantine movie. Most of the back half really is fucking insane and kinda glorious, modern-day Disney obviously could never. 

Rewatches for the all-time list

Dr. Strangelove (1964) - 9/10

Casablanca (1942) - 9/10

The Innocents (1961) - 9/10

Man with a Movie Camera (1929) - 10/10

Heat (1995) - 10/10

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) - 10/10

• Like 6

Slow week

Win It All. I kinda liked it. I'm not at all a fan of mumblecore but this was easily the most conventional Swanberg and it felt for once like a real movie, also Jake Johnson is great in it. Shame he never really made it in movies, there's always many sad sack roles around in comedies and dramas alike he could play to perfection.

The Old Guard. Decent action movie with an interesting gimmick and great performances by everyone including Dudley from Harry Potter. BUT. I feel this is a problem that all streaming "blockbusters" have, they just look like cheaper versions of big movies that would have been released theatrically. Even when they 're well directed like this one, when most of the action takes place in warehouses and offices or at night or shot extremely up close you feel like they cut corners to save money. Pretty common tv tricks to hide the financial limitations of the medium. Old Guard might have cost more than Atomic Blonde because Charlize might got 2x the salary from Netflix but the movie just looks cheaper. On the other hand this isn't the case at all for the auteur Netflix movies which feel like they got exactly the budget they wanted maybe even more.

• Like 4

Frozen 2: 2 out of 5. I had forgotten all of the songs as soon as they finished. Disney dead parent cliche continues. Boring and laugh free. 

The Old Guard: 4 out of 5.

Great cast, genuine gay couple, no queer baiting. Charlize is fantastic. A twist that works, great fights and violence. Sometimes poorly lit and the soundtrack is dreadful. 

• Like 1

I'm hearing pretty good stuff about The Old Guard but I still have this feeling that it's another one of those unimaginative and forgettable action films that never actually indulge in their craziness and have fun with themselves. I'm pretty skeptical especially because every single action movie this year, except for one, were exactly like what I described above. Netflix also made an action film just like that a bit over a month ago. 

• Like 1

• The Darjeeling Limited (2007) - I have now watched all of Wes Anderson's films; Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman and Adrien Brody work really well together; stylistically it's very much a Wes Anderson film; certainly not my least favourite from him (that honour goes to The Life Aquatic), but I still rank Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel over it, and I liked it better than Rushmore
  • The Fog (1980) - very well-crafted and a pretty creepy score (as to be expected from John Carpenter); I didn't find it that scary, but certainly unnerving and suspenseful
  • Maverick (1994) - fun action western from Richard Donner and William Goldman with plenty of twists and turns; Randy Newman's score is appropriate for this type of film, the production and costume design is more than convincing, and the main trio (Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster and James Garner) work very well together
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

The Darjeeling Limited (2007) - I have now watched all of Wes Anderson's films; Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman and Adrien Brody work really well together; stylistically it's very much a Wes Anderson film; certainly not my least favourite from him (that honour goes to The Life Aquatic), but I still rank Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel over it, and I liked it better than Rushmore

My weakest too. Got bored from The Life Aquatic.

Shows:

Agents of Shield Season 7: 8/10 Almost halfway through the season and the show hasn't been this entertaining since the first half of Season 5. Hope the 2nd half can stick the landing unlike Season 6.

The Office Season 5: 8/10  Not much to say other than the show hasn't let up in quality since Season 3.

Arrested Development Season 4/5: 5/10 Rewatch of Season 4 hasn't really changed my opinion of the season. It's enjoyable but vastly inferior to Seasons 1-3 except the GOB episodes. Season 5 has been a drag so far with exceptions such as Maeby's storyline. 

Movies:

Blackkklansman: 9/10 First Spike Lee film I've watched and this was a great one. Can't wait to see John Washington in Tenet now.

Da 5 Bloods: 8/10 A bit more uneven and would have liked to see more focus on the whole ensemble bit still a powerful watch. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm hearing pretty good stuff about The Old Guard but I still have this feeling that it's another one of those unimaginative and forgettable action films that never actually indulge in their craziness and have fun with themselves. I'm pretty skeptical especially because every single action movie this year, except for one, were exactly like what I described above. Netflix also made an action film just like that a bit over a month ago. 

yeah you're not going to like it. the action is weaker than extraction but the lore/worldbuilding was promising. I feel this should've been a mini-series.

• Sad 1

Finally started watching Better Call Saul, waited on watching this since I thought it’d water down BrBa, but I was insanely wrong. Really great stuff and Odenkirk’s a treasure

Saw Police Story, Jackie Chan the GOAT. 
Close Enough was a lot of fun, but I grew up with Regular Show, so maybe I’m a bit biased.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

The Three Caballeros (1944) - 7/10. In which Donald Duck gets uncontrollably horny for live-action Latin American women who keep ignoring, rejecting and mocking him, resulting in his whole world going from normal to surreal psychedelic sugar-rush crazyland. A surprisingly relatable quarantine movie. Most of the back half really is fucking insane and kinda glorious, modern-day Disney obviously could never. 

Rewatches for the all-time list

Dr. Strangelove (1964) - 9/10

Casablanca (1942) - 9/10

The Innocents (1961) - 9/10

Man with a Movie Camera (1929) - 10/10

Heat (1995) - 10/10

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) - 10/10

That's a good week my man

• Thanks 1

Movies:

A Fistful of Dollars - 7/10

For A Few Dollars More - 7/10 (they didn't do a good job with tying up Mortimer's backstory to this and the rapey stuff felt unecessary)

Michael Clayton - 10/10

Happy-Go-Lucky - 10/10

25th Hour - 10/10

Blow Out - 8/10 (would've been higher if they gave Nancy Allen more to do)

Manhattan - 6/10 (loved most of the movie but specifcally hated the pedo stuff and the creepy ending)

Artemis Fowl - 2/10

A Star is Born (1954) - 8/10

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - 10/10

Only Angels Have Wings - 9/10

Let The Right One In (re-watch) - 10/10

Once Upon A Time in the West - 8/10

Days of Heaven - 10/10

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TMP said:

So good

Yeah, I loved it a lot.  Perfect amount of camp and geniune sincereness.

Spoiler

And I honestly can't stop rewatching this shot:

original.gif

I'm gonna try to catch up with rest of Brian De Palma's work next month (only other movie of his I've seen so far is Mission Impossible).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, I loved it a lot.  Perfect amount of camp and geniune sincereness.

Hide contents

And I honestly can't stop rewatching this shot:

original.gif

I'm gonna try to catch up with rest of Brian De Palma's work next month (only other movie of his I've seen so far is Mission Impossible).

Scarface seems to be pretty divisive but I love it a lot. I know people dunk on Pacino’s turn in that, but I thought it worked insanely well for what De Palma was saying about excess in the 80’s. Carlito’s Way is a lot of fun too, ditto Untouchables

• Like 2