charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

4 minutes ago, Eric Sparrow said:

Mildred Pierce - Also a great look at mother-daughter relationships tied smartly into a murder mystery and deconstruction of the housewife trope, which I always love. Fuck Veda tho

One of my FAVORITES.

So I rewatched Sunset Boulevard last night after the Science Fiction Double Feature. 

God is still hits. Every moment. Every revelation. 

Including some stuff I forgot to put last time

1. Onward - Fun okay adventure but that third act is glorious - 8
2. Greyhound - The naval action was well done and Tom Hanks is always dependable - 7
3. Three Idiots - Tried my first Indian movie other than youtube clips of over the top action shared by friends (Does Slumdog count?) as this had been recommended and while it was a bit long the positive uplifting vibe really got to me. The message was so simple yet really felt full of wisdom. Aamir Khan was great as Rancho, I wish I had a friend like him in College. - 9
4. Dangal - Tried another Aamir Khan after that and this was also well made and enjoyable. A bit more serious but I was engaged throughout. The wrestling scenes were really intense. - 8
5. Artemis Fowl - Yikes! - 2
6. Umbrella Academy Season 2 eps 1 tp 4 - I'm liking it a lot better than season 1 so far. The characters feel more natural and comfortable. The performances are just as good and better. The humor and fun is still there but there is a cohesiveness that was lacking in season 1. No rate yet but great so far.
7. Weathering With You - Not as good as Your Name but still enjoyable. Absolutely gorgeous to look at. - 7.5

• Like 4

Movies:

The Invisible Man: Really well done with Elisabeth Moss' performance carrying this movie and the tension and anxiety comes accross really well. 7.5/10

La La Land (rewatch): Hadn't watched this since it came out back in 2016 but still holds up as a fantastic film though I did notice this time how the songs pretty much stop halfway through the film. 8.5/10

Extraction: This concept was done better with films like John Wick and The Raid but nevertheless as an action fan thoroughly enjoyed Chris Hemsworth beating up nameless goons. Can see why it got the mixed reception it did. 6.5/10

• Like 2

Sunday means trip to the cinemas. Today I went to see...

MV5BMzQzYmU0NWItZTRkMS00MDM5LTk0OTQtMTM4

Judy & Punch reboots the characters from the well known puppet show with a feminist point of view. The movie is wicked and full of dark humor some may not like but I honestly thought it was one of the best movies I have seen this year. 

The other movie I saw was...

MV5BMjMxMmVjMjMtNzA4OS00ZDAxLTk3YjUtYzQ5

Jeffrey Dean Morgan fully believes he is in this for the Oscar. The movie itself is solid with an horrible final act where everyone just seems to give up and they just use some mad teleporting skills into a snowy mountain for the final 10-15 minutes. 

• Like 1

Made it a Disney+ weekend.

Muppets Now: much better than the lame sitcom attempt on ABC a few years ago but not the best we've seen from these characters. Still, has plenty of that good old-fashioned Muppet charm.

Black is King: extremely good stuff.

Newsies The Musical: finally watched this after putting it off for so long and it didn't disappoint. Jeremy Jordan is fantastic but I've known that from seeing him in other projects. Definitely check it out if you're looking for another stage recording after Hamilton. I could see Disney trying again with this property (the original 1992 movie with Christian Bale upon which it was based was one of their biggest bombs ever at the time) in the next 10 years with a remake/adaptation and it turning out to be a hit this time.

• Like 2

Movies:

Kal Ho Naa Ho - 8/10

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - 6/10

Public Enemies - 9/10

The Goonies - 9/10

Relic - 3/10

Yes God Yes - 4/10

Om Shanti Om - 8/10
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge - 9/10 (this was espescially a lot of fun to watch with my parents who watched it when it released back when they used to live in India and it's one of my mum's favourite movies of all time)

TV:

Curb Your Enthusiasm S1 and 2 - Season 1 only starts picking up towards the end but season 2 is hilarious the whole way through. The show has serious Peep Show vibes. Funniest episode so far was the one with the ABC executive.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2020 at 1:19 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

@Jonan23 try My Name Is Khan, Swades, Dear Zindagi & Andhadhun.

Will suggest others after you watch these.

The last three are on Netflix. MNIK I guess you have to search for, its on Hotstar in India.

Thanks a lot. I will add these to the list.

Umbrella Academy Season 2 - 7.5/10 - Started off strong but alot of the stuff toward the end felt rushed and just a set up for season 3. Also some rehashed plot points from season 1. Still the characters and their interactions are great and make it worth watching. Hopefully next season they spent more time as a team (all the family members) which seems to be where its going judging by the ending. 

• Like 1

Watched this show, Giri/Haji on Netflix (was formerly on BBC2?). It kinda derailed there at the end (not to the point of disliking it) but at least for 4 episodes, it was quite good, plus it's a pretty show and features some really strong performances. Kichijiro is my man. 🙏. Also Will Sharpe is a delight I must say.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

Shazam. Cute movie, I enjoyed the foster home/kid stuff, Mark Strong and his monsters not so much. If there ever was a superhero movie that didn't need a villain at all it was probably this one.

The Rental. Nothing grounbreaking but it's interesting and fun in surprising ways. Well done lil Franco.

How to Train your Dragon 3. It's a bit better and less busy than no2 but ofc not as good as the breathtaking original. In hindsight this is a very good franchise as a whole. The animation gets more striking with every movie, the music is amazing all the way through and there's genuine earned emotion in every single one of them. DreamWorks should be very proud of this despite it never exploding like other properties.

Rewatch

Suspiria (2018). Watched it with a friend who hasn't seen it and despised all of it. Words like pretentious bullshit were yelled angrily at the TV but personally I love it. Would let Dakota Johnson puppet dance me into a pile of bones.

TV

The Alienist. Just gave it a try because I like all of the main cast but it's a tedious and tasteless mess. Felt bad for all the good actors throughout the 2 episodes I watched, I hope at least they got some good money for this.

• Like 2

@charlie Jatinder Finally watched an SRK masterpiece. Dil Se is such an absolutely haunting and beautiful film. I don't have a proper understanding of the context of the film (since I know almost nothing about the history of India) but it has a political message can be applied universally imo. I can't believe I just watched maybe the most powerful film about nationalism vs radicalism wrapped around in what's basically a melodrama. There's also the very clever subversion of certain tropes (the rapey flirting the male characters usually do in Bollywood films is actually shown as horrifying in this) and I loved how it switches genres every 30 minutes. And Chaiyya Chaiyya is one of the best musical numbers I've ever experienced. 

I just found out that I actually watched two other Mani Ratnam films with my parents a few years ago and I remember liking them so I'm hoping to watch his other films because wow, this film just amazed me. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

This is a blend of the last few weeks

It Happened One Night-Very fun.  Great chemistry between the two leads

Forbidden Planet-Awesome  

Before Sunrise-Very Good

Double Indemnity-I liked it but of the Wilder I’ve seen I prefer Sunset Boulevard and Stalag 17

Doom Patrol-Finally finished season 1.   I mean any show that features a scene where just about every character including a sentinent street have a simultaneous orgasm is definitely weird

• Like 4