charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Movies: 

This was a pretty good week I reckon

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (rewatch): Still as fun as ever with this being the film that elevated the Mission Impossible films to being must see films. Brad Bird making a seemless transition to live action (though listening to Behind the Scenes stories the production was messy at times). Wish I saw this in IMAX 8.5/10 

Palm Springs: Didn't like this as much as the reception online it seems but still really enjoyable twist on a concept down billions of times before. Hadn't taken note of much of Andy Samberg's work until I started watching BB99 and since went back and looked at his SNL and Lonely Island work and now a fan. Cristin Milioti needs to be in more films too. 7/10

Rear Window: Okay so finally decided this week to introduce myself to some Hitchcock films and it was definitely the best decision I've made in a long time. How could you not fall in love with Grace Kelly from the moment she is introduced in the film? Brilliant film considering the setting and relentlessly entertaining and intriguing. Somewhat appropriate with the current quarantine arrangements too. Can very much relate to the boredom Jimmy Stewart's character was facing  9/10

Vertigo: I'll be honest while I found the film interesting and intriguing it wasn't quite grabbing me the way I hoped considering its reputation. But then once the movie makes it clear what is happening it becomes more disturbing and haunting towards the end. Definitely will need to give it a rewatch. 9/10

North by Northwest: It's like this film was made just for me. Spy/thriller with various twists and turns and people who have to improvise their way out time and time again. One thing with Hitchcock is that it's amazing when you see how these films influenced genres and future filmmakers and North by Northwest is no exception. 10/10

Psycho: I feel really lucky knowing practically nothing about this film so when it basically reveals what it's about I got that full effect. Not much of a fan of the genre the film is in but it won me over easily. 10/10

The Birds: Definitely my least favourite of the Hitchcock films I saw this week but still got some good enjoyment out of it though this is one film where the effects did take me out of it at times. 6.5/10

Ratatoullie (rewatch): Always a toss up between The Incredibles and this one as the best Pixar film. schaffirllas Productions did a pretty good video on why Ratatoullie is Pixar's Magnus Opus though it is an hour long. 9.5/10

TV Shows:

Umbrella Academy Season 2: I enjoyed this season the way people supposedly enjoyed Season 1. Mostly really happy with how the character progressed this season. Interesting hook for S3. Ben and Five were my favourites for S2. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 9

One more vacations day, one more trip to the theaters. I will be there in their last dying breath. Today I went to see...

high_note_ver7.jpg

So yeah, I had to use the international poster because the domestic one mentions a form of watching the movie I simply can't support or use while saying I saw this movie in theaters, the way it was meant to be seen.

The High Note is a fun and charming comedy with great moments and music. Dakota Johnson is a really good actress and it has been showing in her latest roles. She is the heart of the movie and I absolutely loved spending time with her and the other characters. This was a great time at the movies and I recommend it if you live in a country showing it in theaters.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched Walter Hill’s lesser-known 1981 classic Southern Comfort the other day. It’s about a group of National Guard troops that get lost in the Louisiana bayou and end up under attack by Cajun trappers. I know Hill didn’t want it to be seen as a Vietnam parable, but that’s sooooo what it is. :lol: But in deference to him I’ll say it probably works even better as a metaphor for horrific and idiotic American military foreign intervention since the 1980s. 

It stars a young Powers Boothe, Keith Carradine, Fred Ward, and Peter Coyote. It’s goooood. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Watched Walter Hill’s lesser-known 1981 classic Southern Comfort the other day.

Driver and Long Riders, the other 2 movies he did around his most famous hits are also pretty great. You should watch them if you havent already.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Watched Walter Hill’s lesser-known 1981 classic Southern Comfort the other day. It’s about a group of National Guard troops that get lost in the Louisiana bayou and end up under attack by Cajun trappers. I know Hill didn’t want it to be seen as a Vietnam parable, but that’s sooooo what it is. :lol: But in deference to him I’ll say it probably works even better as a metaphor for horrific and idiotic American military foreign intervention since the 1980s. 

It stars a young Powers Boothe, Keith Carradine, Fred Ward, and Peter Coyote. It’s goooood. 

I watched that a couple years back when it was on Amazon Prime, because it was an early Hill film I hadn't seen yet. Such a unsung gem, well-acted, and it gets pretty terrifying at points. 

• Like 2

Movies:

Signs - An entertaining and actually thoughtful film about faith that gets held down by some stilted dialogue and making itself to be more dramatic than it actually is: 7/10

Ride Your Wave - Pretty schlocky romantic movie that's still a lot of fun because of how wholesome and energetic it feels, pretty good summer movie: 6/10

The Frighteners - A brilliant mix of comedy and horror and I just really loved the wackiness of it all. Also wtf is it with Peter Jackson and slithering things eating people alive: 8/10

Dil Se... - Talked about this masterpiece before and I still can't stop thinking about it. The last shot of this film still haunts me even with the extremely dated CGI: 10/10  

An American Pickle - Touches on themes I didn't expect but it does nothing with them and it feels so lifeless: 5/10

The Train - Probably the most fun I've had in the limited set of black and white films I've seen. Just feels very tightly written and functional. Also contains some really impressive destruction sequences: 9/10 

She Dies Tomorrow - Meanders a bit but this works so much better than every arthouse horror film I've seen this year and it's actually funny at times too: 6/10

Tv Show:

More Curb Your Enthusiasm - This show continues to remind me so much of Peep Show and IASIP. I love these kinds of comedy shows where the (extremely narcissistic) main characters keep digging themselves into a hole and try to get out of it but just continue to make the hole bigger. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 5

Movies

John Henry - Watched it with my best friend because we love to riff on bad movies with each other. I'm honestly disappointed it wasn't more stupid, because a lot of it is just kind of uninteresting, though it's worth it for elements of the dumbass climax.

Middle School: Worst Years of My Life - Another movie I watched with my best friend. It's harmless kids movie schlock with some fun 2D animation and a very, very weird twist ending that had us laughing our asses off.

The Reluctant Dragon: An odd duck of a film. Part of it is an interesting look at how Disney animators make movies and make art come to life. Part of it is a bunch of average shorts. And another part is that it was a whitewashed look at the studio at the time of the animator's strike, so...that's not fun.

Double Indemnity - Watched with the BOT Bois (and Gurl). Shit was so cool. Barbara Stanwyck is 😍

TV

The Handmaid's Tale Episodes 4-7: The last two I watched are honestly some of the best the season has offered so far. Hopefully the tail end delivers

Phineas and Ferb Season 2, Episodes 1-26 - Thought I could go through all of Season 2, but apparently there's 39 episodes? I watched this show growing up, but I am honestly shocked they made this much. Anyways, still very clever writing here, and it's cool to see the writers play around with the formula more.

Oh and the new Muppets Now episode was alright. I liked the pilot more, but I guess that had the Muppet characters I'm more interested in. Still peeved there's no Statler and Waldorf in sight.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

TV Shows:

Umbrella Academy Season 2: I enjoyed this season the way people supposedly enjoyed Season 1. Mostly really happy with how the character progressed this season. Interesting hook for S3. Ben and Five were my favourites for S2. 

You guys watch this so fast...I got through episode 3 today.  I have loved Five since the 1st minute of season 1, and he's great so far in season 2...and I'm so happy Ben has a role this season, and he's great in it:)...

Although I also am loving, loving, loving Lila:)...

Stuck to TV this week

Umbrella Academy Season 2 - I liked a lot better than the first, I felt the storyline was more focused and each cast member seemed more comfortable with their characters and the sibling chemistry was awesome - 8.5

Community Season 1 - Mostly hilarious show, Troy and Abed are the best, Pierce can be annoying at times, Jeff is great except when paired with Brita, spoofing sitcom conventions is done really well - 8.5

As for Breaking Bad, it's one of my favorite shows of all time but I understand if it doesn't appeal to others. I myself wasn't really hooked until season 2 episode 2 Grilled

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jonan23 said:

Community Season 1 - Mostly hilarious show, Troy and Abed are the best, Pierce can be annoying at times, Jeff is great except when paired with Brita, spoofing sitcom conventions is done really well - 8.5

Community is my favourite comedy of all time. Got me through some lonely times when I watched it. 

• Like 3

The Breaking Bad/Dexter conversation earlier in this thread reminds me of how funny it was seeing those two shows end at the same time, except one in triumph and the other in tragedy. Also amusing was seeing Dean Norris go from Breaking Bad to the lame CBS adaptation of Stephen King's Under the Dome the next night for most of its final season. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

The Untouchables (1987) - Yes, it's as historically accurate as Braveheart, but it was still pretty fun and entertaining (and also violent). Ennio Morricone's score is beautiful and memorable (as to be expected from Il Maestro), the costuming and production design are splendid and sumptuous. De Niro (as Al Capone) makes for a terrifying villain, Costner's alright as the clean-cut hero, and Sean Connery does a damn good job as Malone. 

The Sting (1973) - Holy cow, is this one a heck of a lot of fun. Robert Redford and Paul Newman work really well together (shame they didn't get to do more films together), the production design and costumes are incredible (I've no idea if they shot on location or on sets, but if it's the latter, it looks a lot like the former), the music (even if anachronistic) fits the tone and style of the film really well, and the twists and turns keep it from being predictable.

• Like 4

One more trip to the movie theaters. Today I went to see...

capone_xlg.jpg

Tom Hardy goes for it all. He wants Oscars, Razzies and Golden Globes in the Comedy Category with his performance in Capone. In reality, not much happens in the movie. The story goes mostly nowhere. It is just a man losing itself bit by bit. I now need to go read someone smarted than me tell me which scenes were real and which scenes were his mind making it up. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3