charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Is Umbrella Academy actually good or just Netflix hype Machine? I stopped flix subscription so will have to download it.

1st season is good, but a little worse than The Boys...

2nd season so far is very good, as good as anything in The Boys season 1...we'll see if it holds the higher standard:)...

And number 5 is my favorite of both seasons...he plays the put upon adult in a teen's body dealing with idiot family about as perfectly as possible:)...

• Like 3

Today I went back to the theaters to see...

MV5BZmVhNjdiNWYtNGM0MS00MWEzLTkyY2MtNDI3

The cast is really good but it was a hard subject to nail completely. André Téchiné is one of the best all around to tackle this sort of themes but I still think it could have been more effective with its message. Still, Farewell to the Night is worth a watch and proves again why Catherine Deneuve is a legendary actress.

Edited by CJohn

Green Card is a great rom-com and pretty underrated compared to other Peter Weir films imo (should be getting the acclaim and love that the overrated Dead Poets Society gets). Hans Zimmer's score also doesn't get enough attention. Also contains the most satisfying (and actually interesting) ending I've seen in a rom-com in quite a while. It's on HBO Max if anyone wants to check it out.

• Like 1

Today I watched two movies on theaters:

secret_garden_ver2_xlg.jpg

I was expecting a fantasy adventure, and instead I got a sweet and heartfull family drama with great special effects and a touching story. I think most kids will be bored by it tho, but the grown ups will enjoy it.

golpe-de-sol-vicente-alves-do-o-2020-pos

Golpe de Sol is a portuguese drama/thriller where 4 friends are on vacations when an old friend of them calls and says he will join them. Secrets are discovered and betrayals revealed in a really good movie with fantastic leading performances from Ricardo Pereira and Oceana Basílio. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Over the past couple weeks rewatched the Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park movies

Raiders of the Lost Ark- 5/5

Temple of Doom- 3/5

Last Crusade- 4.5/5

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- 3.5/5

Jurassic Park- 4.5/5

The Lost World- 3.5/5

JP3- 2.5/5

Jurassic World- 3.5/5

JW:FK- 3/5

• Like 4

Watched:

Lucky Grandma (2020)

original.jpg?1592344115

A really fun directorial debut from Sasie Sealy, it brings Chinatown to life on a low budget and allows an entirely Chinese immigrant story to be told within the New York City in which the bulk of the cast and language is rooted in China.

Tsai Chin is wonderful in the lead role as a jaded old grandma who gets in over her head when she steals money she lost gambling from a Chinatown gangster who died of a heart attack.  Lots of comical moments, fun characters and remains engaging the entirety of the run.

Im excited to see more films like this which center non-white characters and stories, with a non-white and non-male director behind the camera.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

I finally caught The Old Guard today. Really solid stuff, even if one of the first shots of Charlize Theron looks like it's blocked and shot exactly the same as the first shot of her as Furiosa in Fury Road. I'd definitely watch a sequel in a couple years' time.

I also had Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation on in the background while doing some work this afternoon.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2020 at 1:25 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Green Card is a great rom-com and pretty underrated compared to other Peter Weir films imo (should be getting the acclaim and love that the overrated Dead Poets Society gets). Hans Zimmer's score also doesn't get enough attention. Also contains the most satisfying (and actually interesting) ending I've seen in a rom-com in quite a while. It's on HBO Max if anyone wants to check it out.

Weir is a GOAT and almost all of his movies are under-appreciated. 

• Like 6

Last night was Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood

I've never seen or read Macbeth, but from what I know of it, Kurosawa did a great job transporting it over to samurai-era Japan. Toshiro Mifune gave a great performance as a samurai going mad with power and obsession with the prophecy, bolstered by the performance of Isuzu Yamada as Asaji (the Lady Macbeth counterpart), Washizu's cunning wife.
Asakazu Nakai's cinematography is also breathtaking, making great use of mist, fog and light. It was also very engrossing - I don't think I felt bored at any point watching it.

9/10. 

• Like 1

Super Dark Times. Visually very interesting but it's too self serious which is a problem because it gets dumber with every minute that passes until the laughable finale. The kids are good though.

Truth or Dare director's cut. That's even more ridiculous and way more bland but it's the fun kind of dumb. Didn't really deserve the trashing it got on release. It's ok for a gimmicky teen movie and at least it isn't boring. That demon really was just a messy bitch who lives for drama lol

Love & Basketball. Really good emotional rom com and really good basketball movie. I had no idea about it until the Blank Check podcast started doing Gina Prince Bythewood movies. Criminally underrated movie.

Palm Springs. Very cute movie and smart spin on the time-loop gimmick. Also Samberg and Milioti have great chemistry. I wonder if this could have been the rare indie summer hit ala Peanut Butter Falcon in normal non-corona times. It definately has the goods.

rewatch

Blues Brothers. I used to watch it all the time as a kid but never really had it up there with my favorites. Now it plays like a towering masterpiece that can never be repeated.

A.I.-Minority Report-Catch me if you Can.  I love love that 2 year period of Spielberg. I guess even if they have only grown in esteem they 're still considered "minor Spielberg" just because he already had 6-7 zeitgeist defining classics before them, but they are absolutely major works and among his best.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

Love & Basketball. Really good emotional rom com and really good basketball movie. I had no idea about it until the Blank Check podcast started doing Gina Prince Bythewood movies. Criminally underrated movie.

The podcast totally sold me on it, so I’ll be checking it out soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joel M said:

A.I.-Minority Report-Catch me if you Can.  I love love that 2 year period of Spielberg. I guess even if they have only grown in esteem they 're still considered "minor Spielberg" just because he already had 6-7 zeitgest defining classics before them, but they are absolutely major works and among his best.

Yeah. Catch Me If You Can is part of my own "top 10 Spielberg films". 

And, honestly, that whole 2001 - 2005 period was great (even War of the Worlds and The Terminal have their moments, and honestly they're redeemable).

2 hours ago, 35MM-18 said:

Yeah. Catch Me If You Can is part of my own "top 10 Spielberg films". 

And, honestly, that whole 2001 - 2005 period was great (even War of the Worlds and The Terminal have their moments, and honestly they're redeemable).

Yeah War of the Worlds is great up to a certain point but The Terminal not so much. Haven't seen it in ages but I remember it as one of the more listless Spielberg movies. 

I've done a couple recent anniversary viewings today: Straight Outta Compton earlier and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World now.

I think I might just love Scott Pilgrim vs. the World a teensy bit more now than I did when it first came out 10 years ago, and that's no small compliment (it was a near-miss on my end of the year top 10 then). The wildest part, hands down, is seeing a pre-Cap Chris Evans playing a conceited douchebag and remembering thinking - based entirely on his obnoxious Fantastic Four performances - that it seemed like perfect casting at the time. :lol:

2 hours ago, Webslinger said:

The wildest part, hands down, is seeing a pre-Cap Chris Evans playing a conceited douchebag and remembering thinking - based entirely on his obnoxious Fantastic Four performances - that it seemed like perfect casting at the time. :lol:

OK. Story time.

This might come as a shock to some of you all, but I love Steve Rogers. Like Hill I Will Die On love Steve Rogers. So when they were casting the movie back in 2010, I had some opinions on who I thought should play the character. Mostly on who I thought should NOT play the character, cause I didn’t actually like any of the actors that kept popping up.

But Evans, oh, man. Was I not happy. The fucking dude from the fantastic four movies? Johnny Storm is playing Steve Rogers? What the hell is Kevin Feige thinking?

That was the first year we did a crazy lineup for Hall H. We went at 2o’clock in the morning, because we thought that would be early enough to get in line. (Omg so quaint). That was also the year that someone got stabbed in Hall H, and it was right before the Universal panel. So we were pretty convinced that the Universal and Marvel panels were not happening.  It was very stressful.

Because I was like I am not leaving this Hall until I get answers. Why Chris Evans?!?!

The panel started. They did Thor first. And then it happened. And Evans came out, had Died his hair blonde, and gained like 20 pounds of muscles in his biceps alone. He sat down at the panel table, and was so nervous, and so Ernest and it took me about three minutes to turn to my friend and go:

Oh. My. God. Steve Rogers is sitting on stage right now.

:wub:

I did a complete 180. And then I spent the rest of my film school days depending how he was going to be the best Captain America ever. 

• Like 3

Watched An American Pickle tonight. The plot had potential but the movie doesn't really work. Sony was wise to sell it off to HBO Max, it would've flopped with a sub-$20M total as a normal theatrical release.

Seth Rogen was alright in both of his performances though can't quite carry a movie completely by himself. A complete waste of Shiv. Hopefully now that she's an Emmy nominee and Succession will *fingers crossed* take home all the awards she'll get offered better movie roles in the future.

Week 19

08-14 Aug 2020

Movies

A slow week with not much.

1. The Departed: I wanted to do Scorsese films, but last year statements by the old man and the fact I didn't really liked Taxi Driver, I was delaying it. So finally watched this, and its pretty good. However, I guess it has more to do with the original (which I haven't seen though) than with 'sese' as it has certain East Asian feel. Matt Damon was cool. There was a disgusting scene of Jack Nicholson showing dick to Matt Damon, donno if original has it. Ugh. 8/10.
  2. Road To Predition: Donno why, but this feels like a better John Wick film minus the cool action? 8/10.
  3. Gunjan Saxena (Hindi): A good biopic but a poor war film. This is biopic of India's first (?) woman airforce pilot. 5/10.
  • Like 4

Gilda - 1946

My GAWD was Rita Hayworth gorgeous.  Movie's kind of dull, but you can't keep your eyes off her.

Cover Girl - 1944

It's so strange watching a Gene Kelly musical where he's not the driving force, but, oh well.  It takes way too long for the story to get going, and feels overtly complicated.  Some of the "old time" Rita Hayworth numbers drag... you're just waiting for IT to happen.  Then it does.  Kelly (and Stanley Donen who gave him the idea) goes full Gene Kelly with the Alter Ego sequence.  It's so fuuuckin' goooooooood.  

Adam's Rib - 1949

Holds up really well.  Can't go wrong with Kate and Spence.  

42nd Street - 1933

Busby Berkeley's numbers are ageless -- and so, so, so pretty in HD.  Also pre-code movies are wild.  There's totally a casual attempted rape and murder in one of the musical numbers, like, no big deal!  And it has Ginger without Fred!

Sunset Boulevard - 1950

We watched this on Monday as a group, so I'm going to leave the write up I did for the intro:

Hi, Boys.  This is your Captain speaking.  Since we are not doing this via TCM, I figured I’d try out my best Ben M impression for the host intro.

We’re about to watch one of my favorite movies, probably ever, Billy Wilder’s Sunset Boulevard: It is a savage expose of the Hollywood Studio System that still feels as fresh and frightening in 2020 as it did when it was released in 1950, seventy years ago to the date. For the box office buffs, it broke the record at Record City Music Hall for a non-holiday release, taking in a handsome $166,000.

The film follows the doomed relationship between Joe Gillis, an out-of-work screenwriter (William Holden, with the perfect mix of warmth and self-loathing), and Norma Desmond, a famous actress of yesteryears (Gloria Swanson, giving one of the best performance ever. EVER).  An earnest Nancy Olsen plays Betty, a reader as Paramount who’s both Norma’s foil and Joe’s redemption.  And, then, then there's Max, "the butler role" as Eric Von Stroheim, the actor who played him, called it. (whispers) It's so much more.

The film's verisimilitude of Hollywood in the 1950's really elevates the material.  They actually filmed on the Paramount lot.  Cecil B DeMille, who plays Cecil B DeMille, was actually shooting Samson & Delilah on Stage 18 when the movie was being filmed, and that's written into the script.  They name drop rival studio heads.  Schwab's Drug Store is exactly recreated.  When Norma's watching herself, she's watching old Gloria Swanson films. 

Maybe that's why Louis B Mayer go so famously piiiiiiiissed at the film.  After a screening for the studio heads, he told Billy Wilder he “befouled his own nest and he should be kicked out of the country” to which Wilder replied, “I’m Billy Wilder. Go Fuck Yourself.”  Yet it wasn’t only Mayer with such a strong reaction.  Gloria Swanson recalls her fellow silent screen actresses wept at screenings, no necessarily because of the movie, but because Gloria had made a Triumphant Return, and that meant, maybe so could they.  I will note: Mae Murray, an actress of the silent era, said, “None of us floosies was that nuts.”

Cause Norma Desmond is living on the edge, and this Perfomance is living on the edge.  Gloria Swanson is amazing at controlling her insanity.  She is nuts.  And she is chewing every celluloid frame.  Yet it is so precise, and manipulative, in how she presents Norma and what Norma’s doing on screen.  It comes off as a little campy, but it’s so calculated.  Watch for the way she uses her chin.    

Why this is one of my favorite films of all time is that depending on my mood it honestly plays like a different movie.  I remember watching this on the big screen; Norma’s horrifying.  And sometimes I watch it on the “pictures that got small,” I just think it’s a wicked comedy. Joe and Norma, who both totally deserve each other #JoeNormaForever, play a dangerous game for control, and frankly for who is the movie's antagonist. Oh, you think I’d really NOT side with Norma on this?

Gene Wilder, the actor, not the writer, the actor, once said that a classic is always modern, and that’s what makes it classic. I feel the circular logic applies precisely to what we’re about to watch. The film is set in the 1950s, but as with all really good Billy Wilder work, it feels timeless.  It’s 2020, but we still mistake the woman over fifty as the monster, instead of condemning the real villains of the piece: the corporate Dream Factory that created her, and then tossed her out once she no longer returned big enough profits.

So without further ado, I present to you, the spiritual evil twin of Singing’ In The Rain, Billy Wilder and Charles Bracklett’s “A Can Of Beans”

• Like 6