charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

One more trip to the movie theaters today. Two more movies watched.

cda1251784b9c9bffb0c94b6418962c1e90893b3

Christian Clavier continues to deliver hilarious performances in another French mega hit. However, besides Clavier, the rest of the cast doesn't to much and the jokes can be hit or miss. I guess not every one of his movies can be laugh out loud funny as Qu'est-ce qu'on a fait au Bon Dieu?.

Scoob-Official.One_.Sheet_.Poster-02.jpg

Scoob was a fun and nostalgic ride with so many characters I know and love from my childhood. It is not great or anything, but it is very entertaining and a lot of fun to kids and adults alike.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

CJohn, the real savior of movie theaters. Sorry, Nolan.

john cena blockers movie 2018

The Scoob! show had nearly 40 people. By far the show with most people I was in so far. The crowd laughed together at the jokes. The kids were asking things to the parents. The annoying phones being pulled mid movie. I felt a weird sense of normality and happiness with all of this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Scoob! show had nearly 40 people. By far the show with most people I was in so far. The crowd laughed together at the jokes. The kids were asking things to the parents. The annoying phones being pulled mid movie. I felt a weird sense of normality and happiness with all of this.

All good fun long as everyone had their masks on!

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

All good fun long as everyone had their masks on!

Besides the masks being obrigatory (except if eating popcorn and most people don't do it nowadays), every seat bought blocks all the seats around you in every direction (up, down, left, right). So there was a lot of mask wearing and a lot of social distancing in place. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Thanks 1

Ok so what I have a watched lately.  On the tv front I haven’t really dedicated much time to anything.  Lot of movies though.  Here’s what I’ve watched in August so far  Everything is out of five

Before Sunset ****

Double Indemnity ****

Before Sunset **** 1/2

The Train ****1/2

Richard Jewell ***1/2

Sunset Boulevard *****

Palm Springs ***

Modern Times ****1/2

Birds of Prey**1/2

• Like 6

Halfway through re-watching the Harry Potter movies over the past few days and currently watching Goblet of Fire, it never occurred to me until now that Tenet is also a mini HP reunion between Cedric Diggory and Fleur Delacour when Clemence Poesy has had a notable presence in the marketing for the movie.

• Like 2

Pretty slow week in terms of watching stuff, though Phineas and Ferb is still solid stuff, and Mom and I only have two episodes left for Handmaid's Tale Season 1. Also watched the original Dumbo in my quest to watch every Disney+ movie in order (can you believe I wasn't popular in school?). Still quite adorable, though nowhere near as ambitious or cinematic as Walt's previous outings at the time. And the uncomfortable racism is still very uncomfortable 😬

• Like 1

22 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Week 19

08-14 Aug 2020

Movies

A slow week with not much.

1. The Departed: I wanted to do Scorsese films, but last year statements by the old man and the fact I didn't really liked Taxi Driver, I was delaying it. So finally watched this, and its pretty good. However, I guess it has more to do with the original (which I haven't seen though) than with 'sese' as it has certain East Asian feel. Matt Damon was cool. There was a disgusting scene of Jack Nicholson showing dick to Matt Damon, donno if original has it. Ugh. 8/10.
  2. Road To Predition: Donno why, but this feels like a better John Wick film minus the cool action? 8/10.
  3. Gunjan Saxena (Hindi): A good biopic but a poor war film. This is biopic of India's first (?) woman airforce pilot. 5/10.

No, that's not from Infernal Affairs, that was just Jack Nicholson wanting his character to be a bit of a perv. The original Hong Kong version is like an hour shorter, IMO both versions are very good.

Road to Perdition is based on a graphic novel. John Wick isn't but feels like it could be. 

Movies:

Three on a Match (1932):  Packs in a lot of story for the runtime and is pretty engrossing by the end. Very weird seeing Ann Dvorak as a housewife/mom here, knowing she'd just been the kid sister in Scarface earlier that year. Bette Davis really doesn't have much to do, but it was a pretty early role for her. Interesting use of newspaper montages.

Leave Her to Heaven (1945):  How did this one pass the Hays Code? It's like if you made Gone Girl crossed with Fatal Attraction, minus the sex/blood/language, but it still ended up being 99 percent as twisted and unsettling. I like old black and white movies in general, but a lot of the film noir classics have left me cold before. However this (and Niagara) have really grabbed me, so maybe I only respond to film noir in Technicolor. Also, it's a really interesting time to watch a study in someone with a personality disorder.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 4

Movies: Went a bit on a Spielberg rewatch this week

Close Encounters of a Third Kind (rewatch): Hadn't watched this one in years so I'd forgotten essentially the entire movie which made the last 30 mins all the more awe inspiring. 9.5/10

Raiders of the Lost Ark (rewatch): BOT's Number 1 Film 10/10

Sherlock Holmes (rewatch): Ok this one was just a random rewatch but like Close Encounters I'd completely forgotten what happened in this movie. Not a particularly big fan of Guy Ritchie but as far as Sherlock adaptions are concerned this was pretty good. 7/10

E.T the Extra-Terrestrial (rewatch): 9/10

TV Shows:

Agents of SHIELD Season 7: Solid if unspectacular final season but the finale was superb how the weaved together the events of this season and Season 6 (really Season 6 and Season 7 is just one big season) and very happy with where the characters ended their journeys. Another show I say goodbye to in 2020 and with Arrow and Clone Wars also ending this year it feels like the closing of the shows that were a major part of my high school life years ago. 7.5/10 for Season 7

The Office Season 7: While it's not been increasing in quality I must say haven't noticed a huge drop as of yet.

My Hero Academia Season 1: Been wanting to start this show for a long time and the first 4 episodes were very solid. 

• Like 5

Today I went to theaters to see one of my favorite movies of all time:

inception_ver3_xlg.jpg

I really don't have much to say. It is the perfect blockbuster and a must see cinematic experience. The last 45 minutes were as thrilling as ever. I was on the edge of my seat just like if it was the first time.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 4

Movies:

Broken Arrow - It's pretty clear Woo was restrained here but still more crazy than most Hollywood film. 6/10

She Dies Tomorrow - An interesting mood piece that I found funny at times and sometimes tense but I was never fully engaged. 6/10

Green Card - Really, really fun rom-com (talked about more previously in this thread). 8/10

Project Power - Doesn't embrace it's premise at all and takes a "superheroes but irl" approach that's just boring. Also contains the worst long shot I've seen in a long time. Dominique Fishback and JGL are good in this and at least this has colour though. 4/10

You've Got Mail - Not as good as the original film but I had fun watching how they updated it to modern times and Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks have pretty good chemistry in it. Liked it more than Sleepless in Seattle Will be watching Joe vs the Apocalypse next to complete the Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan trilogy. 7/10

Modern Times - First Charlie Chaplin film I've seen in over a decade and I absolutely loved it. Not only is it hilarious but it's also an unexpectedly heartbreaking and powerful exploration of Depression-era America and a changing world that kept fucking over the poor. The Little Tramp is also one of the most wholesome characters of all time. He's someone who believes things will always get better even if they are getting worse and is compassionate towards everyone even if the world throws him away. His childlike quality is just incredibly endearing. I did not expect to be in tears by the end of the movie. 10/10

Kindergarten Cop - It's mostly an ok action film I'll forget about in a few days but the scenes of Arnold hanging out with kids was a blast. 6/10

TV Shows:

More Curb - Still hilarious but not a fan of the sharper camera lenses from season 7 onwards. The fuzzy, textural look of the earlier seasons made it feel more like an amateur video which imo made it feel more real (which made it even funnier). 

• Like 4

Did two wildly different movies on HBO Max today.

Magic Mike: First rewatch since seeing it theatrically eight years ago, and it held up really well. Channing Tatum is terrific in it. I kinda wish I had been there opening night to see the collective befuddlement of a sellout audience expecting wall-to-wall stripping scenes and instead getting a thoughtful Steven Soderbergh flick (though honestly, when it does indulge in the stripping scenes, it doesn’t skimp; you’re either gonna find ‘em hot if you’re into men or hilariously audacious if you’re not).

An American Pickle: I really wanted to like this one, and it did get a few laughs from me, but it’s all over the place. Sometimes, it looks like it’s going to go for fish-out-of-water humor, other times it doubles down on dark-ish comedy, and other times yet it’s trying to be serious and sentimental.

Edited by Webslinger

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

Magic Mike: First rewatch since seeing it theatrically eight years ago, and it held up really well. Channing Tatum is terrific in it. I kinda wish I had been there opening night to see the collective befuddlement of a sellout audience expecting wall-to-wall stripping scenes and instead getting a thoughtful Steven Soderbergh flick (though honestly, when it does indulge in the stripping scenes, it doesn’t skimp; you’re either gonna find ‘em hot if you’re into men or hilariously audacious if you’re not)

This movie's biggest problem was that it didn't have wall-to-wall stripping scenes. Thank god for the sequel that fixed every single problem this film had. If Magic Mike had been more like the sequel, it would've probably been a huge hit too instead of the middling success it had.

Edited by lorddemaxus

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

The first episode of Lovecraft Country was great. Excited for the rest.

Great balance of campy horror (which this episode certainly delivers on, especially with all that gore) and relevant themes. The stuff they showed in the sneak peek looks also looks absolutely bonkers. Certainly reminds me of the Lindelof Watchmen show quite a bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Great balance of campy horror (which this episode certainly delivers on, especially with all that gore) and relevant themes. The stuff they showed in the sneak peek looks also looks absolutely bonkers. Certainly reminds me of the Lindelof Watchmen show quite a bit.

Yeah, I can see the Watchmen comparison too. Time will tell if this is gonna get the same kind of awards love depending on which category they put it in.

Loved the Lovecraft Country premiere. On a technical level it's insanely impressive, really well shot and the VFX work is phenomenal, but there's so much cool thematic work going on under the surface too. I loved how well they blended racial commentary with horror tropes; how the server at the scene in the diner looked at them like they were monsters, which feels apt. since so much of Lovecraft's own work was infused by his own hatred of the "other". Great creature design work too.

• Like 1