charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Today I went to see two movies to theaters:

MV5BMzVhNWI5NzctNWU0MS00YzI4LThkY2QtMmE2

The power of positive thoughts, fam! Honestly, the movie is not even all that much IN YOUR FACE with its ideas. The twist is bonkers and hilarious but you could see it coming like a train. I can't even recommend it to see it high. Just don't see it.

The perfect double show doesn't exi-

i_still_believe.jpg

Yeah, so I am now a believer of God and positive thoughts. Besides the musics that were embarassing and cringe inducing, the movie is actually quite solid and I even had a tear in my eye at the end. 

• Like 1

Today I went to the movies to see...

51NFWlYOgbL._AC_.jpg

A bit too long (ok, way too fucking long) but The King of Staten Island has a lot of heart, an A+ cast, tons of laugh out loud funny moments and it wraps up really nicely, making the most boring moments worth it.

• Like 1

Week 20

15-21 Aug 2020

Movies

1. Joint Security Area: This was pretty great. Thanks to @chasmmi pitch of "first Korean film to actually show North Koreans as humans" and that's what worked really well. 8/10.
  2. Raat Akeli Hai: Another dumb Netflix India film. 2/10.
  3. Daaka: A local film. 2/10.
  4. Shrek The Third: Whatever. 4/10.
  5. Close Encounters of Third Kind: Ugh. The lead were unlikable jerks. Pathetic. 0/10.
  6. Murder of Orient Express: I think the best thing about this film was cast. How was this made in only $55mn. 5/10.
  7. Beoning (Burning): More like boring, IKR. Anyways, I was with the film for most of time, it was 1 hour too long. 4/10.
Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

Triple Frontier. After the the boring by the numbers first half I expected it to climax in a heist shot in the Netflix fake blockbuster way. But the heist lasts only 5 minutes and the movie takes a surprising turn after that. Much better than what I expected.

The Way Back. It's very melodramatic and piles on the cliches but Gavin O'Connor knows his shit. He makes the whole thing feel genuine and resists all the way the easy cathartic moments. Affleck is amazing too.

Cats. It's Cats. It has some horrifying and hilarious moments but after you settle in, I think it's too boring to be a so bad it's good movie for me.

Hotel Transylvania 3. Don't remember that much the other ones but this was maybe the zaniest and funniest of them. I liked it.

Dora and the Lost City of Gold. Watched it while babysitting my nephew, for a movie aimed explicitly at small kids it's watchable.

The Dark Tower. As someone who has no familiarity with the books I got nothing out of this. It was literally people talking jibberish for 90 minutes straight.

rewatch

Glass. Love it, better than Split.

Aquaman. Love it, probably my favorite DC universe movie.

Hereditary. Pretty good but I'm more of a Midsommar guy.

• Like 4

Avengers Endgame 4/5. First time rewatch since cinemas. One star off for being too long and dragging in the middle.

The Fall (series 1) 5/5. Gillian Anderson is terrific.

Good Boys 3/5. Some laugh out loud moments. 

X-Men 3/5

X2 4/5

X-Men The Last Stand 3/5 

• Like 1

Ozark - Utterly absurd show but engaging enough to string you along. Very much like Breaking Bad but with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Laura Linney and Julia Garner are the MVPs though the vast majority of characters are entirely unlikable by Season 3. Will give credit to the final half of season 3 being legitimately strong, the subplot with Ben was pretty affecting.

Starting Dark.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 1

Week 21

22-28 August 2020

Movies

1. Miracle in Cell No. 7 (Korean): The film mostly works but is pretty routine in its treatment of story and placement of humour and emotions. 6/10.
  2. The Namesake: Simple and yet work so well. Mira Nair handles character and desiness very well. 7/10
  3. Phantom Thread: I liked the style of film but it largely remained uninteresting. 5/10.
  4. A Taxi Driver: Film follows predictable route but is effective. There are scenes in film which hit hard. There is sense of relativity with all the shit going in India too. Kang-ho Song is treasure. Looks good too. 7/10.
  5. Amelie: There are couple of interesting scenes and jokes that land well, in this otherwise boring film. Guess French cinema ain't a thing for me. 3/10.
Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

Not a movie or TV show but going to share it because of how stirring of a work of music/art it is.

41Pqq1929QL._SY355_.jpg

The Sacred Veil is the latest released work from Eric Whitacre that debuted live in 2019 and was just released as a recording a few days ago.  The poems were put together by Anthony Silvestri who is reflecting on the cancer battle of his late wife Judy from a decade ago (some of her words are featured as texts too, which creates some of the most heartbreaking moments of the piece), as you listen through the music and poems it’s as if you’re entering into Silvestri’s own grief and witnessing something almost to personal to be shared with you.

The scoring has moments of haunting beauty that can almost feel sentimental until the unresolved tension you expect to resolve never quite does.  There’s one particular section, “Delicious Times” in which a woman’s choir narrates the thoughts of Julia as she thinks through the times of children helping her through chemo.  A careful listening brought me to tears at how personal and carefully composed it was.

Even if you are not a fan of choral music, the Sacred Veil manages to transcend the genre (and it features some gorgeous Cello solos).  In fact listening through there’s no other genre or style this work could have been done in and conveyed the same beauty and heartbreak.  Whitacre has made a name for himself as a modern classical composer, but he’s made his best work with the Sacred Veil.  Really recommend giving this a full listen.

http://smarturl.it/thesacredveil

Also this contains the selected poems by Silverstri in the work, worth reading through as the music plays, as they are just as important to the power of the work as the music imo.

https://www.charlesanthonysilvestri.com/the-sacred-veil

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

The stuff I've watched since I last posted here:

Movies:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (rewatch): 7.5/10

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (rewatch) Will always be one of my all time favourite movies 9.5/10

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (rewatch): The father and son dynamic I relate to much more as I've gotten a bit older 9/10

Arrival (rewatch): When I originally watched this film in cinemas I had watched Your Name just a couple of hours before. Needless to say I was pretty emotionally drained timewise 9/10 

Black Panther (rewatch): Yeah this was hard to get through but I felt I had to watch this one. 9/10

Schindler's List: This one also had a hard time getting through it especially at the end. One of the rare films I felt like I learned something as well. Is there a filmmaker more versatile than Spielberg10/10

Saving Private Ryan (rewatch): Maybe not the best choice to watch this one the same day as Schindler's List 9/10

Seven Samurai: My first introduction to Kurosawa. Sometimes a film or a book may feel derivative because it has influenced so much future content. Definitely not the case with this film 10/10

TV:

The Office Season 8: Just meandering along not a big fan of some of the new additions but still midly entertaining so will stick with it to the end 

My Hero Academia Season 2: Let the games begin

• Like 3

You’re Next 4/5

some questionable acting, but great leading character, jumps and violence, with an original twist. Always enjoyed this one. 

Yesterday 2/5

really just went nowhere. Overlong too. Lead actor was one-note. 

Red Eye 4/5

excellent, quick thriller with a great Rachel McAdams performance. Master of suspense: Wes Craven. 

New Mutants 2/5

All felt very amateur, especially the scopes and performances. Everyone feels miscast. Razzie for Maisie Williams. 

Batman and Robin 2/5

Hilarious. Great eye candy, score and pretty lights lol. The script is pun after pun, all very cheesy. Remember loving this in the cinema when I was 10 and having the toys. 

• Like 2

@TMP @filmlover (specifically tagging you guys because I think you guys watch HBO more than anyone else on here) Give Raised by Wolves a try if you haven't. It's my 2nd or 3rd favourite new HBO series of the year so far. I personally even liked it more than Lovecraft Country (which I also loved).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

@TMP @filmlover (specifically tagging you guys because I think you guys watch HBO more than anyone else on here) Give Raised by Wolves a try if you haven't. It's my 2nd or 3rd favourite new HBO series of the year so far. I personally even liked it more than Lovecraft Country (which I also loved).

I had actually never heard of it until the other day heh. Might check it out since the number of shows I'll be watching this fall isn't gonna be very high (at least until November when shows are currently planning to return).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Week 22

29 Aug - 04 Sep 2020

Movies

1. Peninsula: was surprisingly... good. Especially the first two acts. Third act do a bit overkill and climax gets bit too cheesy. This hardly feels like a sequel to Train To Busan, though smart strategy to sell a zombie film, which well worked. 5/10.
  2. Alive: 2nd Korean zombie film back to back. It started off pretty ok, was expecting it to explore the 'cast away during a zombie apocalypse theme', but it turned out pretty routine rom-drama in the end. 3/10.
  3. Rushmore: I like Wes Anderson films a lot. This was pretty nice but not as good as his last few films. 6/10.
  4. Mulan (2020): Its dull and bland with absolutely nothing that works. The action pieces had hardly any energy to them, and neither the emotion worked in the story. However found it better than original. 2/10.
  5. Mulan: I only liked the opening 5 minutes better. The rest felt way too casual. 2/10.

TV

1. The Boys S02: The first episode was pretty good though 2nd and 3rd felt a bit off. This lacks the novelty of S01 but still pretty good but nothing concrete to judge so far. Let's see how it goes in latter episodes. 
  • Like 1

Scary Stories to tell in the Dark. Kinda dissapointing because it's got some cool spooky moments but the whole angry ghost central premise is just garbage. This should have been a collection of short stories instead of Final Destination for kids.

Emma. Pretty decent and very vibrant adaptation, Josh O'Connor is hilarious in this. Completely stole the show imo.

The King of Staten Island. I liked it, it's def more of feel good dramedy than a comedy. It's also bloated but in a different way. Instead of the movie dragging towards the end like Apatow does, it's bloated in the first half and gets much more engaging after the Billy Burr fight.

Scoob! This was shockingly bad. Not just bullshit for kids bad. But taking something and squeeze every inch of joy out of it bad. That Warner animation brand thing really is going nowhere.

What Men Want. Don't even like the Gibson one but this was somehow worse.

Triple Threat. This was fun. A movie with Iko Uwais, Tony Jaa and Scott Adkins doing backflips? What's not to like.

I'm thinking of Ending Things. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rewatch

All the Mission Impossibles. Very enjoyable franchise. What's really striking by watching them back to back is how they keep upping the ante with action scenes in every movie. I mean the last one might not be my favorite but the action set pieces in it are just jaw dropping. Cannot imagine what they are gonna do next.

• Like 1